News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Policeman portrait - he proudly displays his medal bar...

Baden War Service Cross

Honor Cross for Non Combatants

Merit Cross of the Order of the Z?hringen Lion ???

Kaiser Centennial Medal

Baden Bronze Jubilee Medal, 1902

Hungarian Commemorative Medal

Is the third place medal a Merit Cross? He has it prominently displayed in front of his other medals.

Hi Brian!

The cross on the 3rd place is a Baden's Dienstauszeichnung (Long service award), 1st class for 15 years, 1913-18 (OEK 313). If it had been a Merit cross of the Z?hringer Lion, it would have been worn on 1st place as a proud Badener.

Ciao,

Claudio

P.S.: I have added a picture, taken from the website of the OMSA

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

He looks like the Last Surviving Napoleonic Veteran. :catjava:

That appears to be a lionhead hilt on his sword, so it's his old "honor weapon" from army artillery or cavalry days, I think.

Photo must be from before the Polizei long service awards of 1938 were bestowed, and from his service in 1897 but only an XV, he must have left as a senior NCO BEFORE the First War and ? was already in the Police then-- possibly mobilized as a Feldgendarme in 1914. If he'd had continuous military service he would be wearing a Prussian XXV Years Service Cross.

FORTY years to claw his way up to some sort of Oberleutnant equivalent.... :speechless1:

He looks like the Last Surviving Napoleonic Veteran. :catjava:

That appears to be a lionhead hilt on his sword, so it's his old "honor weapon" from army artillery or cavalry days, I think.

Photo must be from before the Polizei long service awards of 1938 were bestowed, and from his service in 1897 but only an XV, he must have left as a senior NCO BEFORE the First War and ? was already in the Police then-- possibly mobilized as a Feldgendarme in 1914. If he'd had continuous military service he would be wearing a Prussian XXV Years Service Cross.

FORTY years to claw his way up to some sort of Oberleutnant equivalent.... :speechless1:

Excellent, Rick. Thank you!!