News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US PVT John E Lawler

Sivart

Guest Rick Research

Here you go.

As soon as I see Lawler I know it's a Connecticut family. Nice Purple Heart/5 bar Victory Medal recipient:

Despite the retarded left-over Victorian "age in years-months-days" (instead of simply LISTING it :speechless: ) He was born December 18, 1880. Social Security number 040-03-4501 issued in Connecticut. Died in Florida October 1962 (not a good month to have been in Florida :speechless1: ). No town at time of death in the SS records that far back:

Combat service of his regiment =

The Connecticut Adjutant General's recordstop above do not indicate if he had also served on the Mexican Border 1916/17, just the World War service.

WOW! That was fast and very helpfull. Thanks Rick! :jumping::jumping:

I have had this wound certificate for a while and currently find myself with a bit of time on my hands so I thought I would do some background.

Here is the certificate

Guest Rick Research

I have Connecticut's WW1 records at hand, so.... :catjava:

Any clue from where it came from where he might have retired to in Florida-- waaaaaaaaaay back in the Days Before Air Conditioning?

Just to flesh out the historical record (I am especially interested in the 26th New England Division in WW1);

The 103rd F.A. was commanded by Colonel Emery T. Smith and comprised of a battery from N.H. (A battery), 3 batteries from R.I. (the 103rd still is a N.G. unit in Providence), 2 batteries of Ct. artillery and troop M. of the R.I. cavalry. Also attached was a small detachment of the New England Coast Artillery. The 103rd departed the U.S. on September 16, 1917 and arrived in Liverpool on October 2, 1917. Upon arrival in the U.K., the troops were at the mercy of a callous and inefficient British staff system that left them basically at their own devices in the "unfed, ignored and in the pouring rain, mud and within rotten, flimsy shelters" in Southhampton. Thence they went over the channel to a training camp in Brittany, near the French artillery school at Rennes (which had earlier been a POW camp).

By August, 1918, the 103rd was in the line and shelling German positions continually as they advanced ("fire, limber up, advance, unlimber, site, fire....."). An overnight barrage began on the night on July 30th as preparation for the planned advance on August 1st upon the heights above the village of Sergy (see Googlearth). The Germans abandoned their positions after a 6 hour bombardment and a fast rush by the infantry. Your guy was probably wounded by the reported desultory counter-battery fire early in the morning. The batteries were withdrawn out of the line that afternoon to rest, eat and reequip.

Lawlor was one of only 42 slightly wounded in the regiment in the combat from July 18-August 1st.. 13 men were KIA and 5 seriously wounded. 2 were gassed slightly.

Edited by Ulsterman

Rick - I picked this up online, the seller had no informaton about this certificate. Just that they had picked it up at an estate sale. I tried for more, but they had nothing else to offer

Ulsterman - Thanks for the info, that really helps to paint a picture of the events leading to him recieveing this recognition.

The information the two of you have provided is more than I expected to find, and so quickly! :cheers:

Sivart

• 2 years later...

I thought I'd follow up on this thread with the display I put together. Items are not original to the soldier but should be correct as far as what he would have worn or received upon his return home.

Thanks again to Rick and Ulsterman for the information.

Travis

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...