News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pakistan group to a Sepoy in the 16th PB.R

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I purchased this group, in part, because there were so many mistakes in the mount that I couldn't resist. As far as whether it is an authentic group or not is always in question with Pakistan groups especially when none of the medals are named. In this case the Independence Medal is named. Take a look and see if you can spot the errors, there's lots of them. The nighmare is not restricted to the front of the group, wait until you see the back.

The group is named (Independence Medal only is named) to,

3835031 SEPOY DHUMAN KHAN, 16 PB.R.

The medals are (from your left to right)

Tamgha-i-Diffa Medal/Medal of Service, Kashmir 1948 clasp (unnamed)

Tamgha-i-Jamhuria 1375/Republic Medal 1956 (unnamed)

Pakistan Independence Medal (named)

Cheers

Brian

Here is the back of the group. Notice that I didn't use the term "reverse"? Hmmm a possible clue there. :rolleyes:

The white goop is a rubber-like substance that I believe to be an adhesive that was probably used to glue the group to a display board at one time or another. It is still rubbery and I could remove most of it but I'll probably put new ribbons on the group at a later date. I intend to leave it as a swing mount as that is how it arrived. Other than that there are a lot of changes to be made before this group can join the collection.

So, what errors do you see?

Cheers

Brian

In reverse order?

Hi Ulsterman,

Well, partially. The order was out of whack, it should have been

Tamgha-i-Diffa (Medal of Service) Kashmir 1948 clasp. At least this one was correct. :jumping:

Pakistan Independence Medal

Tamgha-i-Jamhuria 1375/Repiblic Medal 1956

There was a problem with the ribbons as well, they were put up backwards! The Independence Medal looked correct but probably only because it looks the same one way or the other. This probably happened due to the confusion caused by not "thinking in reverse" when you are sewing the ribbons to the medal bar. I almost repeated the mistake on the first medal myself. I've included a photo of the corrected mount. I used the same ribbons, even though I found enough spare ribbons in my surplus drawer, because I though that if these are original to the group I'd like to keep them with their medals. I turned the ribbons inside out after removing as much white glue as possible.

The last error was the Independence Medal was mounted with the reverse side showing. The Pakistan national flag should always be the obverse with GvR and crown as the reverse. This is another reason I think this was an error due to not thinking in reverse. The other two medals are on swivel mounts so they too could have been put up in reverse originally.

Now I am happy to say that the subject survived surgery and can take its place in the collection. :)

Regards

Brian

Here's the reverse. I had to leave the white adhesive on the back of the Inpedendence Medal ribbon if I wanted to use the original ribbons. It worked out that this allowed the best ribbon surface to show.

All in all I am quite happy with my new addition.

I'm sure many would find this little group quite mundane but I got to do some research into the correct order of display, ribbon mounting "correctness" and now have a new attributed group for my collection using what I think could be original ribbons.

Regards

Brian