News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 DSC Distinguished Service Cross Naming?

censlenov

Does anyone have an example of a named WW1 DSC am i correct that the majority would have been issued unnamed (but numbered on the edge) and that if one were to find a named example to a non KIA it was most likely done privately after the war??

I have one comming to Canada from England and bought it off a text listing going by description alone along with his victory medal. I'm hoping its good and a good sign is the bars on the vic coincide with what his unit was entitled so Fingers crossed. Unfortunately the dealer didn't list any number on the edge but that doesn't mean there isn't one there. I can't wait till its in my hands to confirm.

Citation

Carl H. Ehlers, corporal, Company K, 364th Infantry. For extraordinary

heroism in action near Eclisfontaine, France, September 28, 1918. Responding

to a call for volunteers, Corpl. Ehlers, with five others, advanced 400 yards

beyond their front to bring in wounded comrades. They succeeded in rescuing

seven of their men, also in bringing in the dead body of a lieutenant, while

exposed to terrific machine-gun fire. Residence at enlistment: 231 Eye Street,

Sacramento, Calif.

Bars on the vic

ypres-Lys

St.Mihiel

Meuse-Argonne

Defensive Sector

Apparently the naming reads:

Cpl. C. H. Ehlers

364th Inf.

Which leads me to believe its privately named.

Any thoughts? Any idea as to value?

Cheers

Chris

My understanding is that any naming would have been private and may be impossible to link to a time period (1918 or 2008?). The numbering is the only official identification tool (when it is there, and many times it isn't).

Jeff???

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

Social Security Death Index for that birthdate shows SS # 565-20-2136, died Fullerton/Orangehurst 92633, Orange County, California July 1969. Days were not reported then.

Orphan no other data single LDS record unconnected to anything shows his parents as Carl Ehlers and Adele Weise.

Thanks for the info guys. Since making this first post i had been trying to find an example of a ww1 cross to compare to and havn't been able to find one. Fingers crossed this one is numbered to confirm it's his. I know there's a book out there with the numbers/recipients indexed but can't remember who published it.

Cheers

Chris

• 4 months later...

The DSC Arrived i looked at it wasn't happy with it and sent it back. It was a very crappy fake. A modern DSC on slip mount named up C H Ehlers. So if anyone offer a DSC named to C H Ehlers give it a pass.

I think for now i'm going to stick to CEF and Soveit awards.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Brian,

How in the world do you have access to that info? That is very impressive.

Jay

Jay - Besides my interest in militaria, I have been studying my famly history too. WWI Registration info is available on Ancestry.com. A subscription is needed to get the info, but I'd gladly search the site for anyone who is interested in a specific soldier. It's not always guaranteed but it's worth a try...

Jay - Besides my interest in militaria, I have been studying my famly history too. WWI Registration info is available on Ancestry.com. A subscription is needed to get the info, but I'd gladly search the site for anyone who is interested in a specific soldier. It's not always guaranteed but it's worth a try...

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your assistance. I'll send you the man's name that I am researching via an e-mail and maybe you can help me out.

All the best,

Jay :D