News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Amount of donation

Kvart

I don't think Peterson's book is updated on this subject, so I'll put my question here.

In present day Japan, what is the amount of yen one most donate in order to receive the Red Cross crest, Red Cross order of merit and the Merit medal?

Thanks for the link. But it only says that the annual fee is 500 yen. Peterson says 300 and that made me post the question.

For those who have made large membership donations or have rendered distinguished services, the title of Special Member is bestowed, and a Golden Order of Merit (medal) or Silver Order of Merit (shield) is presented according to the value of the contribution

But nothing about the amount.

The only medal now awarded is the Gold Merit Cross. A few years ago the size of donation was JPY400,000 if my memory is correct. The donation for the Silver Merit Cross was JPY250,000 but now it is a metal and wooden certificate to hang on the wall, rather than a medal. The membership medals are no longer awarded.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your answers.

And the Merit/ribbon medal would be same amount, I assume?

There is no such thing as a Japanese Red Cross Merit Medal. There was a Membership Medal which came in Normal, Special and Life Membership categories. There was a Merit Cross which came in Silver and Gold classes. All that now exists is the Gold Class of the Merit Cross as a medal and the Silver Class of the Merit Cross as a metal and wooden wall certificate. The Membership Medal no longer exists.

I hope this helps clarify the position.

:cheers:

The proper name for this is the Dark Blue Ribbon Merit Medal and it is not a Red Cross award, it is a Japanese government award. The design changed slightly in 2002, what you have shown is the earlier type which was in use before that date. It is awarded to people who make charitable donations, the Red Cross is only one of the eligible donations which can be made. The amount needed, however, is wayyyyy more than discussed above. A few years ago the minimum amount needed to qualify for one of these was a once off donation of at least JPY 4 Million (almost $40,000).

:cheers: