News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What did this guy do for a living?

a DATE....

The change in Bulgarian orders mentioned by 922F took place in 1908, so the photo was definitely taken after that year.

And, if I understood right Eric's comment, the Medal of Prince Regent Luitpold was established in 1911, hence we may advance three years with the date. This date may also be confirmed if the first thing on the upper row turns out to be a Luitpold Cross (as suggested by Wild Card) rather than the Royal Merit Order of St Michael.

The change in Bulgarian orders mentioned by 922F took place in 1908, so the photo was definitely taken after that year.

And, if I understood right Eric's comment, the Medal of Prince Regent Luitpold was established in 1911, hence we may advance three years with the date. This date may also be confirmed if the first thing on the upper row turns out to be a Luitpold Cross (as suggested by Wild Card) rather than the Royal Merit Order of St Michael.

Truly amazing piece of research. I must agree with Rick however, all this identifying the person only for someone else (E-bayer)to benefit does'nt make sense, however it does show what can be done on this excellent forum.

regards

Alex

Truly amazing piece of research. I must agree with Rick however, all this identifying the person only for someone else (E-bayer)to benefit does'nt make sense, however it does show what can be done on this excellent forum.

Indeed Alex. I was not particularly interested in identifying this individual since the photo is not mine. But I found interesting the game of trying to identify the awards in the photo.

P.S. It could be that we have missed a decoration on the chest mid-line: in line with the badge identified as the Lippe-Detmold House Order of the Honour Cross (#5) there seems to be something else, but it is hard to say whether it is a badge tilted on the coat edge or just a ribbon. I'd rather say it is the former.

With regard to #2 in the second row, I think that it is safe to assume that because of it?s prominent location this medal is very likely Bavarian. From what I can make of it, the only possible match that I can come up with is the Landwirtschaftliche (agriculture) Jubilee medal. I know that this does not sound like much, but they sure are rare - 54 awarded in gold and 147 in silver and 1,175 in bronze.

Edited by Wild Card

Indeed Alex. I was not particularly interested in identifying this individual since the photo is not mine. But I found interesting the game of trying to identify the awards in the photo.

P.S. It could be that we have missed a decoration on the chest mid-line: in line with the badge identified as the Lippe-Detmold House Order of the Honour Cross (#5) there seems to be something else, but it is hard to say whether it is a badge tilted on the coat edge or just a ribbon. I'd rather say it is the former.

Really impressive stuff! I would say that he is wearing 8 decorations on the mid line, possibly even 9, at the very front there appears to be a ribbon , the actual award is hidden by the others, but I could be wrong.

What about the neck decorations?

Really impressive stuff! I would say that he is wearing 8 decorations on the mid line, possibly even 9, at the very front there appears to be a ribbon , the actual award is hidden by the others, but I could be wrong.

What about the neck decorations?

I don't think those are neck decorations. At least not the bottom ones. Compare their size to the once on the bar and to the actual Bulgarian Commander Cross

He's missing Nordic & Russian....bottom row 4 (a) seems to be a four arm ball-tipped cross perhaps a Swedish Vasa or North Star and 4 (b) maybe St. Stan. perhaps twisted & reversed. (Rick notes color shift with old photos and that one appears to be two tone value.) And where's his Portugese, maybe the 2nd position neck badge has 4 swallow-tail arms, so a Christ? If it's 5 arms....

bottom row 4 (a) seems to be a four arm ball-tipped cross perhaps a Swedish Vasa or North Star

Swedish orders have crowned Maltese crosses as insignia, while the award in the mentioned position does not have a crown (plus that it does not seem to have the usual deep split of the arms of a Maltese cross). Maybe the third order on the mid-line of the chest is a Swedish order.

He's missing Nordic & Russian....bottom row 4 (a) seems to be a four arm ball-tipped cross perhaps a Swedish Vasa or North Star and 4 (b) maybe St. Stan. perhaps twisted & reversed. (Rick notes color shift with old photos and that one appears to be two tone value.) And where's his Portugese, maybe the 2nd position neck badge has 4 swallow-tail arms, so a Christ? If it's 5 arms....

Yes! I see something that I had not really noticed before.

On the second row, there are two rosettes. From the center of first rosette, draw a line to about seven o?clock, or about 210 degrees on a compass, and you will run into what certainly looks like a St. Stanislaus rotated about forty-five degrees to the left.

No?

Edited by Wild Card

• 2 years later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 3 years later...