Swaziland Orders & Decorations

Images of later [?] manufacture Order of Sobhuza II Grand Counselor set, possibly same Asian maker as Emmanuel's unidentified pinback,  follow below.   Not including the rings, the gold plated metal badge measures about  60 X 33 mm., gilt & silvered star about 60 mm. diameter, Sash 102 mm. wide about 160 cm. long in total.  Badge & Star with blank flat reverse; star has pin to attach it to clothing.  'Soft' enamel.  Miniature ribbon ties badge to sash.  No obvious maker or other marks. 

sw set.jpg

sw reverse.jpg

Edited by 922F
spelchek
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the 3 classes of Order of Sobhuza II of Swaziland, from an old Manufacturer Catalogue, from Skinner, that the greatly missed Andreas Tammam gave to me. On some of the badge, you can see

Hello Gentlemen, This is how looks like the Order of Sobhuza II in its 3 classes, Grand Counsellor, Chief Counsellor, and Counsellor, in their respective case of issue. I have been offered t

Hello Gentlemen, I tried to contact EJ in West Virginia, but yet no reply. Actually my breast star weight is 105 Grammes. Just as indicative information. Regards to all.      

Posted Images

Hello Gentlemen,

Sorry, but I have to intervene. The "item" shown by 922F is a FAKE or at best a replacement set produced "maybe" in east Asia to deceive collector, eventho if there is not a lot of collector for that country.

The Actual Order of Sobhuza II has been made by Skinner & Co exclusively. Hallmarks observed on reverse of badges tend to prove there had been at least 2 similar series of set,  because british hallmarks got a letter for the year of manufacture.

I do not understand how EJ (who is a long time worldwide collector, with a huge amount of knowledge in phaleristic), and who was selling this set (shown by 922F) on ebay, had been abused by the low low standard of manufacturing. I spoke directly with EJ by email about this a few month ago, but because 922F has chosen to show the photo he was trying to sell, it's my duty to jump in.

All the 4 current Order of Swaziland (now Eswatini) are of superior quality of manufacturing (these 4 Order, are made by Cleave & Co). The unknown Order, which 922F refers is a sash badge that I got through a dealer from Kiaoshung in ROC ( Republic of China ), for ages there were until recently 4 african countries that had diplomatic relation with Republic of China ( Taiwan ), but we're in 2020, and now remains only Eswatini who recognise Republic of China as the onliest China....., a brave diplomatic position, but it just my personnal opinion. The sash badge 922F refers to, that dealer in Kiaoshung, he had had at least 3 in 2010-2013...., I know because on that time, I send the link to a friend of mine who collected African Orders in the south of France. So this sash badge that I got from ROC, as you can see quality of manufacturing is too high to be a fantasy item. I even took that badge, with me, to show it to the manager of Cleave in that time, he was very much amazed, but didn't knwe what it was.

Also the sash of Grand Counselor, the bow of the sash is NOT like this (colors are OK, but bow is not).

On reverse you can see manufacturer mark, and Birmingham mark, please R which is for the year : 1991.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II Grand Commander breast star obverse.jpg

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II Grand Commander breast star obverse close up.jpg

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II Grand Commander breast star side obverse.jpg

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II Grand Commander breast star reverse.jpg

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II Grand Commander breast star hallmarks Birminghams on reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

This is a Chief Counselor neck badge of the Order of Sobhuza Ii of Swaziland (since 2018 the country was renamed Eswatini). Quality is superb and all the 3 ranks of this Order are hallmarked.

On this Chief Counselor, you can see the year mark : R, for 1991.

Emmanuel

Swaziland Order Sobhuza Ii Chief Counselor 1.JPG

Swaziland Order Sobhuza II Chief Counselor 2.JPG

Swaziland Order Sobhuza Ii Chief Counselor reverse with Year Hallmarks.JPG

Swaziland Order Sobhuza II Chief Counselor on case.JPG

Swaziland Order Sobhuza Ii Chief Counselor Case of Issue.JPG

Edited by heusy68

Here are the 3 classes of Order of Sobhuza II of Swaziland, from an old Manufacturer Catalogue, from Skinner, that the greatly missed Andreas Tammam gave to me.

On some of the badge, you can see the hallmark A on reverse, which is Birmingham for 1975, and for the others , you can see the letter R, for 1991. King Sobhuza Ii passed in 1982, but it seems his Order remain the onliest of the Kingdom of Swaziland till at least 1991 or 1992.

Regards.

emmanuel

Swaziland Order of Sobhuza II all 3 Classes.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

This is how looks like the Order of Sobhuza II in its 3 classes, Grand Counsellor, Chief Counsellor, and Counsellor, in their respective case of issue.

I have been offered these 3 Orders in February 2019, despite on that time, having been able to get a Grand Counsellor breast star, and Chief Counsellor neck badge + a case of issue, but without inside part of the case, and a Counsellor badge from South Africa. But I accepted the deal, because I knew it would have been highly unlikely to get another Grand Counsellor cased set in the future.

That's how I discovered, that some badges were manufactured in 1975 ( hallmarks A ), and some in 1991 ( hallmark R ). I kept the 2 Counsellor because of different years of manufacture. But this is, and will ever remain, a super rare Order.

And the sash of Grand Counsellor, has a british style bow, not a french style bow, like the set put on ebay by EJ (photo posted here by 922F).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Swaziland Order Sobhuza II 3 ranks.JPG

Swaziland Order Sobhuza II Chief Counselor Grand Cross.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I tried to contact EJ in West Virginia, but yet no reply.

Actually my breast star weight is 105 Grammes.

Just as indicative information.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel