News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zimbabwe

IVB

Sash & Star - Zimbabwe Order of Merit, Civil Division, Grand Commander or 1st Class.

Medals:

Red ribbon, narrow black, yellow & green edge stripes: Liberation Medal in silver (there was also a bronze one) awarded for services towards the creation of the republic of Zimbabwe in 1980.

Black central stripe with red, yellow and green outer stripes: Independence Medal in silver (again there was also a bronze version), created in 1980 to celebrate formal independence as Zimbabwe and awarded as desired by the Prime Minister.

Last one MAY be the Liberation Decoration, but I have no further information on that.

I think the collar is the badge of office of the Presidency, but I have no reference picture to back up my opinion.

Lovely pics, thanks IVB.

Edited by Megan

Megan

It is the Liberation Decoration. Somewhere I have a Zimbabwe Govt Gazette with the names of a few hundred recipients and i think ive also got a copy of the warrant with issue criteria. Collecting Zim medals for over 15 years I have noted that this a scarce and generally hard to find medal. The one in my collection is not numbered or named and i think this was the case for most of them.

Richard

It is nice - Mr. M. ,as the head of the state, is wearing his orders in the wrong direction :speechless:

Look at the officer at the right - he`s wearing a correct bar.

The order of precedence is:

- Liberation Decoration

- Liberation Medal

- Independence Medal.

I`ve got a small booklet "Zimbabwean Honours and Awards 1981"

greetings

eitze

Already shown somewhere here, but again for the new gentlemen in this thread.

Group to 19183 Constable/ Sergeant J.M. Masoli - BSAP/Zimbabwe Police Force:

- Independence Medal (No. 01575)

- X Year Service Medal (SGT)

- Rhodesia GSM (CST)

greetings

eitze

What was the Liberation decoration given for?

From the official 1981 Government Print:

Liberation MEDAL

The LM may be awarded to any person who, prior to the 18th April 1980, rendered service which was directly connected with the establishment of the Republic of Zimbabwe.

No person may receive both the Silver and the Bronze Medal.

Liberation DECORATION

The LD may be awarded to any person who, prior to the 18th April 1980, rendered service which was directly connected with the establishment of the Republic of Zimbabwe and whose service was characterized by pre-eminent leadership or bracery of the highest order.

greetings

eitze

Edited by eitze

Thank you eitze, I have learned a lot from your posts here abou Zim decorations.

As for Mugabe's order of wear. At least this picture shows some improvement. For several years he used to wear his star above his ribbon bar. The latter used to be afixed somewhere down near his bottom left pocket.

Cheers,

James

• 2 months later...

"Democratic Republic of Congo Campaign Medal"

This is a Zimbabwe award for its forces that served in the Congo campaign (1998-2002). They were issued from mid 2006 some 4 years after the campaign had finished.

Warrant Information: Medal created by Zimbabwe Stautory Instrument 198 of 2001. Awarded under Section 3 of the Zimbabwe Honours and awards Act. The original Warrant describes the medal as follows; Circular medal 38mm in diameter. Made of bronze. "Bears on the obverse the words "DRC" and bears on the reverse the words "F.A.A., F.A.C., N.D.F., Z.D.F.". Attached by a suspender bar to a ribbon thirty two millimetres in width consisting of five equal vertical stripes in the order of blue, yellow, blue, yellow and blue; the colours of the DRC national flag". Eligibility. "Persons who were or are on active duty from 28 August 1998 or who remained in Zimbabwe directing, co-ordinating and marshalling resources for those at the battle front in the campaign to defend the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the Democratic Republic Of Congo."

Changes to Medal Design from original Warrant. The actual medal as produced and issued is 6 sided in shape and manufactured from a poor quality metal - not bronze. Medal is attached by a small fixed ring to a larger, loose suspender ring through which the ribbon passes. Obverse is illustrated with a map outline of the DRC incorporating the words "DRC" in large capitals. Above this are the words "SADC" (Southern African Development Community) in large capitals. Below, in small capitals are the words "OPERATION SOVEREIGN LEGITIMACY".

Actual ribbon colours issued on medals; black, red, yellow, blue, yellow, red, green.

• 1 year later...

I am going to disagree with some of the comments made here. This is my understanding.

The BSAP Commissioner on the left is wearing the Zimbabwe Independence Medal in the correct Order of Precedence as it is before any Zimbabwe medals. It is interesting to see that Mugabe and the General behind him

are wearing the Liberation Medal, The Zimbabwe Independence Medal and the Liberation Decoration in a different order of precedence to each other. :o

I believe the Zimbabwe Independence Medal was a Commonwealth award not a Zimbabwe award. Here is part of the Warrant.

WARRANT

by

THE GOVERNOR

WHEREAS it is deemed desirable to commemorate the independence of Zimbabwe;

AND WHEREAS, in terms of the Honours and Awards Act

[Chapter 4], it is provided that the Governor may, by warrant issued under his hand, create honours and awards:

NOW THEREFORE, under and by virtue of the powers vested in me as afore said, I do, by this my warrant, hereby create an award to be styled -

"The Zimbabwe Independence Medal".

Therefore in my opinion the award of the Zimbabwe Independence Medal was either a British Award or a Commonwealth Award created in Southern Rhodesia on the 14 April 1980 and gazetted on the 17 April 1980 by Lord Soames, the interim

British Governor of the day, of the British Colony of Southern Rhodesia in the interim post UDI period and the changing of the Colony of Southern Rhodesia to Zimbabwe (Nov 1979-18th April, 1980).

Mugabe took power on the 18 April 1980 as Prime Minister.

I have been informed that a letter from Buckingham Palace which advised the granting of the Zimbabwe Independence Medal to someone in the British Forces. Part of it states: "I have the honour to inform you that The Queen has been

graciously pleased to give you Restricted Permission to wear the Zimbabwe Independence Medal which was conferred upon you by the Government of Zimbabwe."

Whether the Brits then decided to make the award a Zimbabwe one is quite possible reading the above statement which begs the question why did they decided to make an award days before Mugabe took over power instead of leaving it to the incoming government?

After the 18 April 1980 in the Order of Precedence, the Zimbabwe Independence Medal comes before all Rhodesian medals which would make it a Zimbabwe award however the facts are is that it was created by a British Governor ruling a British colony days before the so

called 'elected' Zimbabwean government took office. What I'm interested in "Is why?"

As the Zimbabwe Independence Medal was to take precedence over all the Rhodesian Awards and Medals was it the same for Zimbabwe? From what I have seen of recipients medal groups who served in the Rhodesian Security Forces and then served in the Zimbabwe Police

of military, the Zimbabwe Independence Medal is before all Zimbabwean and Rhodesian awards.

Judging by the above photo it's hard to see whether any of them know what the Order of Precedence is.

I have a couple of Silver Crosses and a Bronze Cross group (need to scan and post)..... just need to reduce them to 75kb

Shaun

New Zealand

Morning all

Just to share my latest Zimbabwe addition - The 10 Year Service Medal of Pte Takawira.

Regards

Norman

So first off is a RAR Malaya GSM, RGSM and then Zimbabwe Prision Service Group. Very nice long service.

Group of 5. to SGT G MASIRI - Zimbabwe Independence 18426, Rhodesian Prison LSGC to 5281 Sgt G Maisiri, Zimbabwe 10 year Service medal to 905281 P.O.3 Maisiri G, Rhodesian Prison GSM to 5281 L/Cpl Masiri, GSM Bar Malaya to 4915 Pte Masire Rh.AR

I have a couple of Silver Crosses and a Bronze Cross group (need to scan and post)..... just need to reduce them to 75kb

Shaun

New Zealand

So first off is a RAR Malaya GSM, RGSM and then Zimbabwe Prision Service Group. Very nice long service.

Group of 5. to SGT G MASIRI - Zimbabwe Independence 18426, Rhodesian Prison LSGC to 5281 Sgt G Maisiri, Zimbabwe 10 year Service medal to 905281 P.O.3 Maisiri G, Rhodesian Prison GSM to 5281 L/Cpl Masiri, GSM Bar Malaya to 4915 Pte Masire Rh.AR

Nice group with both Army and Prison service. Interesting that the Prison LSGC is before the Zim 10 year Service Medal. The Zim Medal should go before the Rhodesian ones.

Correct Order of Precedence:

Zimbabwe Independence Medal

Zimbabwe 10 year Service medal

Rhodesian Prison GSM

Rhodesian Prison LSGC

GSM Bar Malaya

Edited by rhodesianmilitaria

Gidday Peter long time no hear.... this is how I got it - Ribbon too hard to get to remount.

Hope you are well. When did you join the Zim Society? I need some research on my Zim Gallantry medals one day. Just got another Silver Cross at Kaplans auction.

Shaun

Interesting that the Prison LSGC is before the Zim 10 year Service Medal. The Zim Medal should go before the Rhodesian ones.

Gidday Peter long time no hear.... this is how I got it - Ribbon too hard to get to remount.

Hope you are well. When did you join the Zim Society? I need some research on my Zim Gallantry medals one day. Just got another Silver Cross at Kaplans auction.

Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Yes I thought that you might have got it like that. I joined the Zim Medal Society a few years ago. It would have been a ZSC from Kaplans latest auction. I'll send you an email about the research aspect.