News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Which unit/Corps could this soldier be in?

Tony

Hello,

I bought this postcard recently and was wondering if there is any way to tell which unit the US soldier was in? I can't make out any badges etc. but can anyone say if he is mounted or a foot slogger going by his uniform? The Brits appear to be Tank Corps (I could be wrong) and Royal Field Artillery and rather smaller than their ally from across the Atlantic.

Unfortunately the photo isn't named or dated but would guess it's from training before going to France and dates from mid/late 1917 to 1918. I suppose it could even be a post Nov.18 photo.

Tony

Hello,

I bought this postcard recently and was wondering if there is any way to tell which unit the US soldier was in? I can't make out any badges etc. but can anyone say if he is mounted or a foot slogger going by his uniform? The Brits appear to be Tank Corps (I could be wrong) and Royal Field Artillery and rather smaller than their ally from across the Atlantic.

Unfortunately the photo isn't named or dated but would guess it's from training before going to France and dates from mid/late 1917 to 1918. I suppose it could even be a post Nov.18 photo.

Tony

Hard to say. We know he is Army for sure because of the cord on the cover.

If we could see the left collar insignia we could tell what corps he was but the resolution just isn't there.

A great reference page is: http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestr...x.html#Soldiers

The bandoleer and boots (which look like the standard Model 1917 "Pershing" boots) make me think infantry but the crop in his hand raises an eyebrow... This could simply be an addition by the photographer but it looks almost like a walking stick so I tend to discount it. Not knowing British uniforms, did they have spurs in the tank corps or fielf arty? The seated gent appears to have them on so I'm not sure.

Edited by OMSA Dave

Great site Dave, thanks for the link.

The man seated could well be a driver in the RFA, I say that as I wouldn't have thought a standard gunner needed spurs.

I've since been told the soldier standing is probably a member of the Bays, a cavalry unit.

Tony