News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar assistance Please!

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Are those actually supposed to have been his, or "facsimile" groups like so many "von Richthofen display groups?"

The Baden Military Karl Friedrich Order is certainly not an original piece. While the Naughty Fat Man often sported self-awarded oakleaves to his Baden Z?hringen Lion-Knight 2nd Class with Swords he was never awarded them.

The crown device on the MKFVO ribbon bar never existed--should be a round green enamelled wreath.

Likewise, somebody with no understanding of German regulations has stuck an 18 years Wehrmacht service cross on after his 25. Neither were correct since he served 1914-20 and 1933 on, awards ceasing as of September 1939 processing. Amazingly enough for someone as vain as G?ring and as often photographed, I cannot find any GOOD photos of him disporting himself in what he claimed were his decorations. In one photo circa 1937 he does indeed SEEM to be wearing the completely clownishly incorrect 25 and 18 together, but it is (as typical) so small and blurry I can't be sure.

The fact that G?ring WORE something does not mean he was ENTITLED to it--even if he signed the appeerwork presenting it to himself. (One is reminded of Leonid Brezhnev's Order of Victory and ever increasing hero gold stars for still breathing....)

There is no way, for instance, that he "qualified" for the Westwall Medal.

All of which would have been psychologically pathetic if it wasn't so stupid. He was--after all- a REAL war hero, with the highest awards from Prussia and Baden. All the minor clutter was just meaningless frippery along the lines of the old joke about being so proud of an Olympic gold medal the winner had it bronzed.

Theses are supposed to be his actual awards. If I can reduce the photo down to 70KB I will post all the ones that are on display. It is from a well known collection. At RAF Hendon this display also has a Goering mannequin wearing some awards but the ones he wears in the display are just replicas to indicate some of his other awards while the ones I will attach are supposed to be genuine.

EDIT: Here is the sign that is on display with the awards.

Edited by hucks216

Goring and his awards is something i have researched for a good many years....I have always had my doubts about this medal bar in the RAF museum ....the Flower War medals were the thing. I have seen a pic of him wearing a similar medal bar but with no Flower War medals. :shame: Here is the pic. I can see the following: EK, HHOX, Friedrich Order, Zah. Lion with Oaks, HCX, DA25, DA18, possibly West Wall/Anschluss medal, Luftshutz 1st Kl, Bulgarian War Medal.

The ribbon bar pictured above does look to the same as the one he wore. What are the awards on the 2nd row?

1. Bulgarian Order of St. Alexander?

2. Italian Order of SS. Maurice + Lazarus?

3. Danish Order of Dannebrog?

4. Turkish War Medal/Italian Order of the Crown/Croation Order of King Zvonimir?

5. Bulgarian Order of Civil Merit?

6. Bulgarian Order of Military Merit/Bulgarian Order of Bravery/Romanian Order of Aeronautical Virtue?

7. Finnish Order of the White Rose?

8. Swedish Order of the Sword?

9. Italian Order of the Roman Eagle?

10. Japanese Order of the Rising Sun?

11. Spanish Order of the Yolk and Arrows?

Best regards

Pierce

Edited by luftkreig

Has there ever been a definitive list of all his awards? Am I right in thinking that he used to have a huge cabinet at his residence for all his awards?

I'd imagine what with the sheer amount of both German & foreign awards he received throughout his life there must be quite a bit of confusion about just exactly what did he have (or not have).

Has there ever been a definitive list of all his awards? Am I right in thinking that he used to have a huge cabinet at his residence for all his awards?

I'd imagine what with the sheer amount of both German & foreign awards he received throughout his life there must be quite a bit of confusion about just exactly what did he have (or not have).

There is no definate list of awards unfortunatly. He did receive many more than what were on the ribbon bar.

Makes you (well, me at least) wonder just what awards of his are sitting in various attics in the US. There is a militaria shop in Plymouth (located in a side street) that has one of his uniforms, complete with his epaulettes, which was a place I didn't expect to see one.

Hi,

It is possible for you to make a close up of the ribbon bar (more particulary about the Karl Friedrich Verdienst Orden). Like I have several ribbon bar with green wreath on this ribbon, I have never seen such device on this ribbon. Thanks for your help

Christophe

Is this the one you mean? I am afraid the picture quality isn't all that great for such a close-up.

(If you need any more close-ups just right click on the relevant image and Save Image and then you will be able to zoom in on your own PC. I am going to be away for around 6 weeks from tomorrow so I won't be able to edit any other shots. The problem is that the quality of the original photo has to be reduced somewhat so as to be able to attach it to these posts).