ehrentitle

East German Shoulder Boards

Paul Reck and I had been having a discussion on East German shoulder boards in another forum in this club. I started getting more interested in them about a year ago and since then I've worked hard to fill out my collective. He suggested that I post a few of them. So here we go. Kevin

Here are some black background boards which I believe the officer boards could be used either by Engineers or Volksmarine. I picked them all up before the fall of the wall. Here is a set from Major/Korvettenkapitan to Oberst/Kapitan zur See. I've shown the back of the Oberst/Kapitan zur See SB looks more like TR shoulder boards. All of these SBs are earlier as the each of the four silver braids are equal. In later DDR boards the the braids are not all equal.

Edited by ehrentitle

Officer School Signal 3nd & 4th Years (Yellow) and Stasi 6th Year (Blood Red) note metal and woven variations. Some say that for most branches outside Medical & Legal (Rear Services) only had 4 year boards. And that 5th & 6th year boards were pumped out from 89-91 for collectors.

[attachmentid=14500]

Grenztruppen Major & Oberstleutnant. Note that the Major is the older form and the Oberstleutnant has two wider silver braids. The size of the rank stars changed over time, although the difference is hard to see unless you put the stars side by side.

[attachmentid=14501]

Air Force Stabsfahnrich, note the mix of old an new form stars which are slightly different in size.

[attachmentid=14502]

Edited by ehrentitle

Bausoldat (Construction Soldier) color and subdued boards. I'm still looking for the elusive color board with the metal shovel.

[attachmentid=14504]

That's all I have scanned. I have much more and will scan an post if there is any interest in this thread. Kevin

Very nice! I would be very interested in seeing more scans when you get time! I love the Bausoldat boards!

Paul

Nice!! :cheers: Those look great on the field uniform!

Keep em coming!!

Very nice Kevin. How do you know they are navy? Thanks for posting them.

Which boards? Field Subdued? They were worn by all branches of the East German armed forces.

Field/Subdued Soldat/Matrose, Gefreiter/Obermatrose, Unteroffizer/Maat. I have yet to get the NCO ranks, they are on my want list.