News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TeNo TN Technische Nothilfe Uniforms, Insignia & Other

Dave -

Thanks for posting those. I already grabbed them from all of your (and other TENO buffs) wonderful posts around the net. My shopping list is daunting to say the least. I bet there are a couple guys WITH the insignia looking for the TUNIC! Typical!

All the best - Mike

Hello everybody!

You can find additional information on the Technische Nothilfe during the Weimar Republic in a Ph.D.-thesis from 2006, on which you can find information here: http://andreas-linhardt.de/

After the dissolution of the Technische Nothilfe in 1945, during the early years of the Bundesrepublik and the cold war the need for a federal agency for civil protection became obvious. So in 1950, the German federal minister of the interior (and later head of state) Gustav Heinemann mandated Otto Lummitzsch, who had founded the Technische Nothilfe in 1919, to set up such an organisation. This became the Technisches Hilfswerk (THW), today well-known for its disaster control missions. Though they are quite different organisations, there are still some links between the Technische Nothilfe and the THW. The THW also operates a museum, with some informations online at http://www.thw-historische-sammlung.de/htm...__nothilfe.html

An interesting point regarding the continuity of symbols in both organisations is the "Nothelferzeichen in Gold" and "Nothelferzeichen in Gold mit Kranz" of the Technische Nothilfe mentioned earlier here - in the THW, there are similar honorary badges called "Helferzeichen in Gold" and "Helferzeichen in Gold mit Kranz" which look quite similar.

Hi Phaidros! Welcome to the Forum! You started in the Right Spot - with your 1st Posting here.

This is very nice added Information about the TN ? TeNo ? Technische Nothilfe & its successor

Organization, the Technisches Hilfswerk (THW)!

Yes, Dr. Andreas Linhardt's Web Site has some great TeNo Historical Information, and he only

recently has Added an English Translation of his work, for those who don't speak German. I have

his book, and enjoy the previously unknown information, historical accuracy, documentation

(& Fotos) of this wonderful book!

The THW Museum Link is also quite Interesting & Informative! Thanks! In reading about the

TWH Museum, on the LEFT Menu Bar opening "Fotos" - (Nr. 7 from the Bottom), shows some of

the Uniform Exhibits of the History of the TN & the THW. Hopefully, there will be the donation

of Super TN Items (of all types) to the Museum!

From speaking with some THW friends in Germany, I have learned that there will be a Special

THW Museum Exhibition in January, 2010, honoring Otto Lummitzsch, who founded BOTH the TN

and the THW! He was such an amazing man, and was highly Honored & Decorated by the German

Federal Government.

The new book, "German Police, Vol. 2" also contains a Dedication to the THW, on the 1st or 2nd

page, and has a 200+ Chapter 19, on the TeNo (1919-1945.) It is the most complete Militaria and

Collector's book about the TeNo, which has been written, IMO.

As a TeNo collector, I have also collected a few THW Items - in order to better understand both the

background of the TeNo (pre-TR), as well as the 'continuation' of the TeNo - as the THW.

Thank you Phaidros for Posting & please share any items of your collection with us! ...Welcome! ... Dave/dblmed

• 2 weeks later...

Time Line of TeNo Visor Insignia - 1st Model 1st Model TeNo Visor Insignia

Through specifically Collecting & Studying the TeNo ? TN for the past 10+ Yrs., I've seen a lot of Items & have learned from each of them. However, TeNo Collectors have learned the Most in only the last 3-4 years - both from Other Collectors & from 4 newly published Great Books! These TeNo 'must read' Books are:

? Dr. Andreas Linhardt's "TN in the Weimar Rep." ?

? Jerome/Nix's "Uniformed Police" ?

? Littlejohn/Saris' "Defending the Reich" and

? Angolia / Hugh Page Taylor's "German Police, Vol. 2."

Previously, Collectors were left 'Wanting More Information' - as their were only 2-3 pages on the TeNo in the Davis Books, & a few others. The TN knowledge base has come a Long way, in a Short time ? due to these noted outstanding books & also due to Collector Interest. From All of the above, I 'believe' that Understanding of the Changes (& Variations) of TeNo Visor Insignia - is pretty 'well' Documented & it is much clearer. These changes of the 'Cloth & Metal M?tzenkranz & Eagle' Insignia of the TN Headgear, is a great subject for the Study & Discussion of their Evolution, from 1932-1945, IMO.

As Collectors - for Each Item which we collect ? We'd like to Know:

? What the Item is? & Does it have any specific name(s)?

? Are there any known Variations?

? Why was it Authorized / Issued?

? What was the Time-frame that it was used?

? What was its Construction & any special Characteristics?

? If there is Period Documentation / Photos, of its being worn?

? & ? Anything else that we can learn about each Item!

Hopefully, the following Posts will help in the understanding of the time line of the TeNo ? TN Visor Insignias (& their Variations.)

1st Model TN Visor Insignia - is the very 1st known "Type" of TN Headgear Insignia.

? INSIGNIA - The Insignia was a Dunkelblau wool Oval Patch, with "TN" in Bullion, in the center; surrounded by Bullion stylized leaves; (? 'looks' like Oak Leaves?) & then a fine Bullion double edging rim was applied. (No distinction between an Officer's model Oval vs. an EM/NCO's model Oval has been found, in TR Literature, Fotos or in Examples). The TN Oval was worn on a Dunkelblau Visor with a Leather Chin-Strap (for All Ranks) - above a simple Circular Cocquard. This Oval model was 'officially' in use from 1933-1934. (Since these Ovals were hand-embroidered ? many variations are seen.)

? INTRODUCTION DATE - Officially - the Visor OVAL was first mentioned in the "Mitteilungen der Technischen Nothilfe, June 1933." (Thanks to Wim. Saris for this information.) Along with the article, came an advertisement from Robert Lubstein (EREL) showing the new Nothelfer visored cap. See also "Vol. 2 German Police," pages 545 & 546. However, in contrast to the above date, I have a Foto of Landesf?hrer der TN, Gustav Curtze, wearing the TN Oval Insignia, & dated 1932. Perhaps some of the TN High Officers got the Oval 'Early' [1932]? ? or - the date on the Foto is incorrect?

The first 'Documented & In Color' drawings of the Type 1 Insignia (& TN Uniforms) are found in "Uniformfibel" by the artist, Kn?tel, & which is dated as December 1933. All of this helps with the time line of the Type 1 TN Insignia. ? Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT

? 2 Examples of the 1st TN Cloth Bullion Oval, &

? Photo of TN Landesf?hrer Gustav Curtze, wearing the TN Oval Insignia (& TN Armscheibe). Photo is dated, 1932.

TeNo Visor Insignia - TYPE 2 TeNo Visor Insignia - TYPE 2

2nd TN Visor Insignia - with In-Wear Photos

The 2nd Type of TN Visor Insignia was made of Metal, instead of Cloth. [The only 2 examples which I have examined, are made of Aluminum ? but I 'believe' that it is reasonable to also expect to find Nickel Silver examples, based up this time frame, when NS was also in common use.]

This Insignia Type was the 1st TeNo Insignia of the Third Reich & thus it incorporated the Swastika, which was Rotated on end (45?), as the Central background. The letters "TN within a surrounding Cog Wheel" (of 15 Cogs) was centered over the swastika [There are No spokes within the Cog Wheel.] This Emblem was placed within a symmetrical Wreath (M?tzenkranz) of 4 Oak Leaves w 3 Acorns, on each side. The TN Insignia was produced by Assmann, & it is shown in their Catalog as being "Ges. Gesch." model.

This 2nd Type of TN Visor Insignia was introduced about June 1934, just slightly ahead of the July 4, 1934, introduction of the TN Gorget & TN Flag. The TN Visor itself remained unchanged, except that a twisted 'chin cord' was added for Officers. It is 'believed' to have been Silver colored ? w a Golden color for the top 3 ranks. EM/NCO's continued wearing the leather chin cord.

Since the "Wreath with Swastika/Cogwheel" Insignia was officially worn for less than 1 year ? this accounts for its rarity. ?. (I'm still Looking for one!)

Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT-

? The 2nd TN Visor Insignia & 2 in-wear Photos.

3rd TeNo Visor Insignia ? Type 3.A (Early)

3rd TN Visor Insignia ? Type 3.A (Early)

Next comes the rather 'Complex' 3rd Type of TN Visor Insignia (with a Number of Variations). I try to never 'disagree' with "Fellow Collectors / Teachers / Mentors / Authors" ? but, Instead to present them with 'New & Documented' Information, & then let everyone decide for themselves! It's our Hobby - & Collecting should Always be fun & educational!

? 1935 TN EAGLE - ANNOUNCEMENT: Hugh Page Taylor, in "Police, Vol. 2" noted on page 552, that the Interior Minister, on January 25, 1935, awarded the TN with the honor to wear its own special Visor Emblem (Hoheitsabzeichen). [iMO, this reasonably would 'Not' have been done, without having 1st approved a Drawing, or a Model, of the actual TN Visor Eagle design.]

The official Announcement of the 3rd TN Visor Insignia [3.A] is found in the 'TN Verordnungsblatt' of February 25, 1935 (published in March). In reading this 'TN Verordnungsblatt' issue, & it specifies that this "new TN Eagle" was to be made of NICKEL SILVER, & that the manufacturer was ASSMANN. From this Documentation, we are now Positive, that the 1st TN Eagle was a NICKEL SILVER Eagle!

The TN 'Verordnungsblatt' of March 1935 also states:.... "?Order concerning the wearing of the national TN emblem: The national emblem for the TN is to be worn in the upper middle of the service cap (Dienstm?tze) for the TN. Beneath this, upon the cap band, the Neusilber Oakleaf-Wreath [M?tzenkranz] is attached with the [centered] Black-White-Red cocqarde?"

? OAK LEAF & NOT LAUREL LEAF 1935 TN M?TZENKRANZ: Thus, there is the Specific Designation of an Oak Leaf M?tzenkranz [& made of Nickel Silver] and NO Mention of the later found, much more common, TN Laurel Leaf M?tzenkranz. ... The same style Oak Leaf M?tzenkranz turns out to be a 'standard' ASSMANN pattern, which was also used for other Organizations. (It is shown in the in Catalog in an Aluminum model configuration.)

Based upon this information, one could reasonably 'postulate' that TN Visors of Late 1935 & 1936 could be found with a combination of NS Eagle & either a NS "Oakleaf" M?tzenkranz ? or ? with an Aluminum "Oakleaf" M?tzenkranz. [This information makes Collecting TN insignia just that much more interesting & challenging!]

? 1935 TN EAGLE ? of NICKEL SILVER: This 1935 Nickel Silver TN Eagle is a VERY Special one, & it is seldom encountered by us, as Collectors. It is easily distinguished by the Rotated Swastika; Heavy Weight; the "Cut-Outs" of the lower 3 arms of the Swastika & the Fine Detail of the Eagle's Wings, Body & Head (w No 'Hood' around the head).

? WHY is the NS Eagle so, so RARE? I believe that you'll see the Answer in the next Post ! !)

I was very fortunate & acquired an ASSMANN Co. Salesman's Sample board, which nicely shows various TN Metal Insignias. On this Board is the 3rd TN Visor Insignia 3.A with NS Eagle + Oak Leaf M?tzenkranz + Cocquard.

For the sake of having a Reference, let's 'Classify' this Model as the 3rd TN Visor Insignia ? Type 3.A (Early). From the available information, there also may 'reasonably' be SubTypes 3.A1 (with a Nickel Silver "Oak Leaf" M?tzenkranz) & 3.A2 (with an Aluminum "Oak Leaf" M?tzenkranz). ?..Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT

ASSMANN Sample Board ? 3rd TN Visor Insignia ? Type 3.A (Early)

Photo of TN Landesf?hrer Walther Junecke wearing this Set. (Very clearly seen - when you Look for the "Cut-Out" Swastika & the Oak Leaf M?tzenkranz!) Dated 1935 on Photo, on the lower RT. Corner.

TeNo Visor Insignia TYPE 3.A w NICKEL SILVER Eagle

TeNo Visor Insignia TYPE 3.A w NICKEL SILVER Eagle

As noted in the above Post, the 'TN Verordnungsblatt' of February 25, 1935 (published in March) specified that the "new TN Eagle" ? was to be made of Nickel Silver, AND that the manufacturer was ASSMANN.

It is both Interesting & it's Historically Significant to actually 'See' this TR Publication & it adds to Collecting Interest to review the Details of the Front & Reverse of this seldom seen TeNo Nickel Silver Visor Eagle. (I may have Posted the "Announcement" before - but not with an Example of the NS Eagle.) ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT

'TN Verordnungsblatt' announcement of the TN Nickel Silver Eagle [February 25, 1935 (published in March)] + the Front & Reverse of the TN Nickel Silver Eagle.

TeNo Visor Insignia–Type 3.B (Middle) – ALL Nickel Silver 3rd TN Visor Insignia – Type 3.B (Middle)

ALL Nickel Silver Model - for BOTH the Eagle & the 'Newly Introduced' Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz

The TN Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz, in Aluminum, is the one which is most frequently encountered by Collectors – But, it had an earlier Variant, in NICKEL SILVER. This Type 3.B (Middle) Example of the 3rd TN Visor Insignia, may be something NEW, to many Collectors. I actually 'learned' about this Type 3.B Variant by 1st finding an Example of it - & - then by Confirming it indirectly, from reading Wim. Saris' great book "Aguillettes" - which I had purchased Only for the TN section. [i found the book to be so interesting, that I couldn't put it down. Super Book – Buy It for your TR Library!] As I was reading "Aguillettes" – there was a passage where Wim. Saris was discussing the types of metals used to make "Aguillette Tips." I read on Page 161, Footnote # 54, & I saw that:

" 'Reichsangzeiger' Nr. 101 dated May 2, 1935, with order Nr. 26 dated April 24, 1935. ?Here, specifically, the forbidden materials are listed."

This referred to Neusilber (Nickel Silver), in addition to other strategic metals. This information HIT me with a SHOCK! THIS was the information that I was missing, in order to understand more about the Variations of the 3rd TN Visor Insignia! I previously was aware - that:

• (a). 1st there was a Nickel Silver TN Eagle, which 'mysteriously' started to be made of Aluminum (but When?) & that?
    • (b). An Aluminum TN Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz was issued (but When?) & that?
    • ©. I was aware of a very few TN Collectors who had examples of a SOLID Nickel Silver 'Laurel Leaf' TN Mützenkranz, which is marked 'Ges. Gesch.'

This led to an 'Informed Conclusion' regarding this piece of previously missing TN Information – i.e. WHEN, was the Laurel Leaf TN Mützenkranz 'Authorized? From Wilm. Saris' information + Collector's examples of the actual NS Laurel Leaf TN Mützenkranz - it was NOW apparent (IMO) that the 'Official' date MUST have been before May 2, 1935!

Since - After the published date of May 2, 1935 - NO MORE Nickel Silver metal could 'legally' be used for manufacturing Items. However, ASSMANN most reasonably would have made up 'extra stock' TN Insignia using NS - & - this supply could have lasted for many months, maybe even into 1936+? (depending upon the demand for the items.)

All of this information also helped me to understand the WHY of the 'Transitional' SS & SA Daggers, with their strange 'Mix' of solid Nickel Silver vs. Plated parts - which also started in about 1935! NOW - it's starting to make some sense! The "Legal restrictions on using Nickel Silver - Stock Piles of prior to "Stop" date for using NS, manufactured 'Items' - Amount of Stock on hand & the time lag, for "Using Up" these previously made items, through Purchase Orders from end-user Insignia Dealers" is just the Age-Old application of "SUPPLY & DEMAND" for specific Items.

The "Confirmatory Proof" was then found in reading the "Verordnungsblatt der TN", Nr. 6 from June 1936 - where the material to be used for BOTH the TN Eagle & the Mützenkranz, was described as being ALUMINUM! This June 1936 "TN Verordnungsblatt", stated:

"?Hohe deutsche Offizierskokarde mit platischem Lorbeerkranz in aluminum, darüber das plastische Hoheitszechen der TN, aluminium geprägt?"

Lorbeerkranz is LAUREL! So this means that, instead of the prior Oak Leaf Mützenkranz, the 1936 Officer's version of the 'New' Mützenkranz was to the Laurel Leaf Wreath [Mützenkranz] configuration, & it was to be made from Aluminum. (We also find, in numerous Fotos, that the Laurel Leaf Wreath was also used by EM/NCO's.)

When looking at the Dates involved, it is apparent (IMO) that Assmann got the 'production order' for the 'New TN Insignia' several ( ? 2-4+ ? ) months prior to the date of the official TN Announcement. This makes production time sense & it was absolutely necessary. Assmann would have needed the few months of lead time to 1st make the new Stamping Dies & then manufacture a Supply of these 'New' items, which would then be readily available to distribution outlets, as of the official TN Announcement Date.

Based upon ALL of the above "Proofs" - it is reasonable to 'conclude' that there was a very, very short time duration in early-mid 1936, when BOTH the Nickel Silver variation of the TN Eagle + the 'New' Nickel Silver Laurel Leaf TN Mützenkranz were manufactured by Assmann.

As Concrete substantiation, below are examples of BOTH TN Nickel Silver Insignias. Thus, there was a 3rd TN Visor Insignia – Type 3.B (Middle), which is the ALL Nickel Silver Insignia – BOTH, for the Eagle & the 'New' Laurel Leaf Wreath (Mützenkranz). This is exciting new information for us, as General TR & TeNo Collectors!

ATTACHMENT: Front & Reverse of - ASSMANN Nickel Silver Eagle + Nickel Silver Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz – 3.B (Middle) TN Visor Insignia.

Edited by dblmed

TeNo 3rd Visor InsigniaType 3.C (Final) ALL Aluminum

3rd TN Visor Insignia Type 3.C (Final) ALL Aluminum Type

The 3rd TN Visor Insignia Type 3.C (Final) ALL ALUMINUM Eagle + ALUMINUM Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz, is the Insignia which most Collectors know & recognize, as being "TeNo." It is not a 'common' Insignia but then it's also not a 'rare' one.

ALUMINUM TN EAGLE - As noted above, due to the imposed 'Legal' restrictions for the use of strategic metals (i.e. NO more use of Nickel Silver), ASSMANN was required to change to Insignia production using Aluminum [for ALL TR Insignias]. (Observation of Examples, leads to the Conclusion that new Stamping Die sets were required since examples of the NS Mützenkranz are definitely slightly smaller than the Aluminum Mützenkranz. Examples) The TN Eagle design remained the same, BUT the stamping process when using Aluminum, gave the Eagle some totally new characteristics:

(1) HOOD: A 'hood' over the Eagle's head, due to the Stamping Die;

(2) LESS DETAIL: Much less distinct Head, Wings, and Body features but still a very attractive & Distinct Eagle! ! !

(3) Swastika in-a-BOX: Most Recognizable is that the Swastika was now in a rotated 'BOX' with the lack of the prior Nickel Silver 3 "Cut-Out" Swastika arms. (Also, this feature made it a whole LOT easier for us to see the difference, in Photos!) By comparison, it is also very interesting that the Cloth / Bullion Officer's Visor Eagles continued to be made (1936-?1945) with the design of "Cut-Out" 3 Arms of the Swastika.

ALUMINUM TN Mützenkranz - The TN Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz design, when made of Aluminum, remained 'essentially' the same as the NS model BUT, with the significant differences being that:

Weight - much lighter in Weight - when made of Aluminum

Size - it is definitely slightly larger in Width & Height.

Attachment Pins - Different locations of, & different numbers of, reverse securing 'double-pins' have been noted. (However, since this Type 3.C TN Insignia was manufactured from mid 1936 ?1942/43 or perhaps even into 1945, 'some' changes in their production reasonably took place over this long time-frame.)

On the ASSMANN Sample board, the 3rd TN Visor Insignia Type 3.C (Final) ALL Aluminum Type, is also present for study. ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT

ASSMANN Sample Board with 3rd TN Visor Insignia Type 3.C (Final) ALL Aluminum Insignia.

Photo (1936) of Landesführer Walther Junecke, wearing the 3rd TN Visor Insignia Type 3.C (Final) dated 1936.

Edited by dblmed

TeNo Visor InsigniaGOLD Mützenkranz-Type 3.B.G (Gold)

3rd TN Visor Insignia GOLD Mützenkranz - Type 3.B.G (Middle-Gold)

the ALL Nickel Silver Model in a GOLD Color.

ASSMANN Gold Mützenkranz

For the top 3 Ranks of the TN, ASSMANN would have "Needed" to provide and manufacture a GOLD Nickel Silver Model

- & Collector's have found Examples which show that they did. .... Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT: ASSMANN Nickel Silver GOLD Mützenkranz + Aluminum GOLD Mützenkranz

Edited by dblmed

TeNo Visor Insignia–GOLD Eagle - Type 3.B.G (Mid Gold)

3rd TN Visor Insignia – GOLD Eagle - Type 3.B.G (Middle-Gold)

ALL Nickel Silver Model TN EAGLE

ASSMANN Gold Eagles

As noted previously, for the top 3 Ranks of the TN, ASSMANN would have also "needed" to provide & manufacture a GOLD Nickel Silver Model EAGLE

- & again Collector's have also found Examples to show that ASSMANN did make these. ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT: ASSMANN TN EAGLES: Nickel Silver GOLD Eagle + Aluminum GOLD Eagles

Edited by dblmed

TeNo Visor Insignia from the ASSMANN Catalog with the Type 3.C - ALL ALUMINUM

ASSMANN Catalog Showing 3rd TN - Type 3.C - ALUMINUM Visor Insignia

This page is from a reprint of the period ASSMANN Catalog which Shows the familiar 3rd TN Insignia - Type 3.C (Final) ? in ALL ALUMINUM,

with the Ordering Reference Numbers provided. It serves as a great Reference, as well as another source of Confirmation.

There may well Exist some OTHER TN Visor Insignia SubTypes / Variations, of which I am Not aware!

I would be very interested in seeing them & learning more about them!.......Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT:

ASSMANN Catalog Page for TeNo Type 3.C (Final) Visor Insignia ? ALL ALUMINUM model (Assmann Catalog Reprint).

Edited by dblmed

• 1 month later...

The DUTCH TeNo • TN - The TECHNISCHE NOODHULP

• DUTCH TN 'Circle' Patch, in Wear:

Dutch TN Fotos don't come around very often & I felt very lucky to acquire this one from a Dutch Collector.

This great Foto shows the Dutch TN ‘Circle’ Patch Armscheibe being worn by the Noodhelper on the very Far RIGHT & another Noodhelper, on the Left Sleeve. They are dressed in the off white 'Drillich' / Working Uniform, similar to that of the German TeNo • TN.

• GERMAN TeNo • TN (Technische Nothilfe) OFFICERS: (LEFT) are wearing the Field-grey uniforms & Grey Visors which have the ‘Standard’ TN Eagle Abzeichen, above the Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz.

• DUTCH TeNo • TN (Technische Noodhulp) OFFICERS: (RIGHT) are wearing the TN Dunkelblau uniform & a Dunkelblau Visor - BOTH items with specific differences from those of the German TN. ...... Txs, Dave/dblmed

The DUTCH TeNo • TN - The TECHNISCHE NOODHULP - Uniforms ... OFFICER'S UNIFORMS (German TN vs. the Dutch TN)

(A-1) This special Foto shows that the German TN Officers (LEFT) are wearing the Field-grey uniforms & Grey Visors which have the 'Standard' TN Eagle Abzeichen, above the Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz.

(A-2) The Foto shows that the DUTCH TN Officers (RIGHT) are wearing the TN Dunkelblau uniform & Visor - BOTH items with specific differences from those of the German TN.

• The Dutch TN Officer [silver Chin Cord on Visor] has NO TN Eagle Abzeichen, but instead has some sort of a "Circle" Emblem (Yet to be Determined.) Also, Does the Dutch TN Officer wear the 'standard' TN Laurel Leaf Mützenkranz – or – another special Dutch Type? (I am Not able to see it well enough to have an Opinion?)

• The Dutch TN Officer would Actually be an EM, "IF" he were in the German TN, by wearing matching Cog-Wheel Collar Patches (Tabs) – but "WHO KNOWS" the Ranking Chart for the Technische Noodhulp? (It is still an 'Unknown' – to the best of my knowledge.)

• The Dutch TN Officer has NO Shoulder Boards (either a Single or a Double set) on his uniform. This is Totally different from the German TN – so this is also a NEW Finding.

• His Belt Buckle is smaller, of EM/NCO Size – BUT, this is Not a Positive Finding, as there are Many Fotos of German TN Officers, who wear EM/NCO Claw Type Buckles.

(•B) The Foto also shows a German TN Officer, saluting, & who is wearing the Field-grey uniform, BUT he has NO COG on his Collar Patch (Tab)! IMO, this helps to date the Foto to mid-1943, or later – as there are numerous other Fotos of this 'yet unexplained' NO COG being worn, Observation. IMO, there are 'yet to be found' TN Orders to remove the COGS from the Collar Patches (Tabs) – sometime after the Last TN Rank & Insignia Change of May 19, 1943, effective June 1, 1943.

(•C) The Foto additionally shows that the Dutch TN was continuing to wear COGS on their Collar Patches (Tabs) – at a time when the German TN had STOPPED using them. Interesting NEW Dutch TN Information! Additionally - the Dutch TN Officer has a PIPED Lapel, which was NOT being used by the German TN, at this point in time. MORE New Information for us! Perhaps, the Piping, is for Officers only?

(•D) The German TN Officers wear Pistols, while the Dutch TN Officer does NOT have a Pistol. (But, this is a minor finding & is not significant, IMO.)

(Hopefully, there may be a Dutch TN Collector - or a Dutch WWII Museum, with a Dutch TN Officer's Uniform – & – the Visor?) ... Txs, Dave/dblmed.

ATTACHMENT: Enlargement of the Previous Foto...

Edited by dblmed

TeNo LEFT Sleeve Armscheiben & Eagles – 4 Basic Types

The various types of TeNo Cloth Insignia “Armscheibe / Ärmelabzeichen” which were worn on the Upper LEFT Uniform Sleeve, is a very interesting study of Transitions. As a core group of technically trained Leaders & Members, the TeNo used symmetrical & geometrically shaped insignias, from 1932-1945.

The TeNo progressed through a series of 4 Different Armscheiben - “Logo / Emblem” Types, consisting of:

1) Type 1.0 - CIRCLE – 1932 - 1933

2) Type 2.0 - DIAMOND - (as a SQUARE rotated on a corner) – late 1933 – 1935. (But, allowed to be worn until 1937.)

3) Type 3.0 - TRIANGLE – 1935 - June 1, 1943 (the most Familiar pattern) – but continued to worn on Blue TeNo Uniforms, until May 8, 1945.

4) Type 4.0 - OVAL Police ‘Type’ Eagle - June 1, 1943 - May 8, 1945, (Officer & NCO/EM Models) to be worn on Only the TN-Police Green Uniform.

A study of TeNo Armscheibe Examples reveals that each of these 4 Types (except the Circle) had Variations (which included Different Makers [#’s 2, 3, 4] & Different Color Combinations [#’s 3-4], etc.) The Type 1.0 - Circle, ‘may’ also have had variations, but it is so rare – that I have Not been able to study it! There are probably Other Type Variations (of which I am Not aware) & seeing them would be Super – for learning even more about the diversity of the Armscheibe Types of TeNo!

[The words “Armscheibe” (i.e. Sleeve Disk) & “Ärmelabzeichen” (i.e. Sleeve Badge) are used in TN Literature & Charts - interchangeably, in describing these 4 Types of TeNo Upper LT. Sleeve Emblems. But, I could well be missing the True meaning, in proper German?] Hopefully, it will be interesting to Review & Discuss these 4 Cloth TeNo Sleeve Armscheibe Types - & to Learn from other Collectors, & to Hopefully see Different (or ‘Previously Unknown’) Examples! I happily & collegially defer to those more knowledgeable than me, for Any needed Corrections, of ‘Wrong’ dates, etc., that I may use! I think that some help may definitely be needed!)

I will show Examples of the 4 TeNo Armscheibe Types, & their SubTypes – as well as Fotos of their ‘In Wear’ Use – where Fotos are available. … Txs, Dave/dblmed

TeNo Armscheibe Type 1.0 – CIRCLE ('Classic' TN-in-COG)

This ‘Rarely Found’ Type 1.0 TeNo Armscheibe used – a CIRCLE – as the outline shape of the LEFT Sleeve Emblem. It was in use for the short time-frame of 1932-late 1933 (per Foto documentation.) But, it also was probably worn into 1934, when the ‘next’ TeNo Armscheibe, Type 2.0, was officially introduced.

The Type 1.0 TeNo Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:

• It is ‘believed’ to be made of Cotton, with the TN Emblem printed on it. (But, I am unable to confirm the material.)

• A Surrounding COG Wheel of 16 outer Cogs & 8 inner Spokes, with the end of each of the Spokes touching the outer Wheel Circle;

• A Central “N” – with all 8 Spokes passing through it;

• A transverse “T” formed using a ‘Hammer Head’ (with the RT. End being Slanted) - positioned at the 12 O’clock Position & Centered above the “N” below it;

This Type 1.0 TeNo Armscheibe outwardly appears to be ‘Almost the Same’ as the later used [1942-1945] Dutch TeNo (Technische Noodhulp) Armscheibe. (BUt, the Dutch TN Emblem was BeVo woven.) The two (2) Emblems are quite similar - BUT, there are some Key Differences seen between the two, which allows Collectors to Distinguish Them.

DIFFERENCES: The Technische Noodhulp (Dutch TN) Armscheibe also has the Design of an Outer Cog Wheel of 16 Cogs & 8 Spokes, plus the Central “TN” – BUT the following Differences are seen when comparing these 2 Armscheiben. The Technische Noodhulp (Dutch TN) Armscheibe has:

• BeVo contruction (? of Cotton) - instead of being Printed.

• A Small Dark Circular Line, placed Outside of the Cog Wheel, &

• The 8 Spokes do NOT touch the inner border of the Circular Cog Wheel, &

• The “T” Hammer Head is positioned further to the Right, such that the Slanted End leading edge is lined up Vertically with the Right edge of the “N” below it.

The Type 1.0 TeNo Armscheibe does Not have the above 4 findings. ......... (The above is based upon the study of a Technische Noodhulp Armscheibe [& Fotos] as well as multiple Fotos of the TeNo 1st Armscheiben – so this is not a ‘scientific’ study - rather, these are my observations.)

ATTACHMENT: Foto of the TeNo’s Founder, Otto Lummitzsch, with the Type 1.0 Armscheibe

TeNo Armscheibe Type 2.0 – DIAMOND

The Type 2.0 TeNo Armscheibe – DIAMOND Shape, was 'officially' introduced about July 4, 1934, [but I have a number of Fotos of it being worn in the winter of 1933? Puzzling?] It was the 1st TeNo Sleeve Emblem of the TR. (This Type 2.0 Patch could be worn until 1937, but a gradual replacement with the Type 3.0 Patch began in 1934.)

The Type 2.0 TeNo Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:

• Machine 'Woven' (BeVo) on Square White Cotton material, which 'folds over' at the Reverse;

• The TeNo Emblem is Positioned as a Diamond for wearing it;

• Background is a Red Square;

• A 'Canted-Rotated' centered Black Swastica was added, leaving Triangles at the Ends of Each Short Arm of the Swastica; & Each Long Arm goes beyond the Red Square, into White Background;

• A Central 'Classic' TeNo Cog Wheel, w a Centered "TN" Hammer / "N" – in White Thread; (Cog Wheel has 15 Cogs & Not the 16 Cogs, as does Type 1.0).

It is just a Beautiful Multicolor Patch! (as are most things TeNo, IMO!) It was introduced at 'about' the same time as the TeNo Flag & TeNo Gorget (& probably other TeNo items, which I am forgetting!)

VARIATIONS: Two (2) Maker Variations of Type 2.0 have been found (so far):

• 2.1 BEVO-BARMEN GES. GESCH., &

• 2.2 GES. GESCH., G & W (a yet Unidentified Maker.)

DIFFERENCES: A Number of Subtle Differences are found in comparing the Patches of these 2 makers (But – since they are ID'd with their Name, it is not so important, as in unnamed Patches!)

Primarily, it is that the:

• BEVO Armscheibe has a "Thinner & Longer" Hammer Head.

• G & W Armscheibe has a "Thicker & Shorter" Hammer Head & Other 'smaller' differences…

ATTACHMENTS:

Type 2.0 TeNo Armscheibe in Wear, June 1, 1934

Type 2.0 TeNo Armscheibe – the 2 'Known' Maker Variations

Edited by dblmed

TeNo Armscheibe Type 3.1 – TRIANGLE w Eagle 3.1 DUNKELBLAU Color SubType (Not a BLACK Color! As is often said by some Dealers.)

The Type 3.0 TeNo Armscheibe is the most 'familiar' TeNo Sleeve Patch. General TR Collectors are 'Usually' unaware of the other Types, but the knowledge curve is growing, thanks to recent Great Books! This Type 3.0 TeNo patch (in Dunkelblau) was introduced in 1935, but it was Not 'Required' to be worn as the replacement for the Type 2.0 "Diamond" until 1937. (IMO, since so much was going on within the TeNo during the early formative TR years, & since > 95% of TeNo members were unpaid Volunteers – I 'believe' that the extended time was wisely allowed due to financial considerations of the times.) The Type 3.0 TeNo Armscheibe has the MOST SubTypes & Variations of ALL 4 Types! (Probably, because it was in use for the longest time.)

The Basic Type 3.0 TeNo Armscheibe (Eagle) has the following Characteristics:

• Wide Triangle Shape (Isosceles triangle with 2 shorter sides of same length – forming the 'bottom.')

• Dunkelblau (Navy Blue) Cloth Construction (Wool & also of Nylon)

• Machine 'Woven" BeVo Type Fine Silver Wire (Aluminum) TeNo Eagle / Emblem.

• TeNo Eagle is the same as the 1935 Metal (Nickel-Silver) Type – But, with the BIG Difference, that the Eagle's Head faces towards it's RIGHT Wing [which is to the Viewer's LEFT.]

• The Eagle is perched upon the Canted / Rotated Swastika, with the "TN" within a Surrounding Cog Wheel, Centered Inside of It - (Like the Emblem used for the Type 2.0 Armscheibe, but Not in Multi-Colors.)

• All 4 Arms of the Swastika appear as being 'Cut-Out' as a part of the 'Woven" Aluminum Wire BeVo-Type construction.

VARIATIONS: At least three (3) Variations of Type 3.1 have been seen (So far - & I anticipate other Variations!):

• 3.1A: ges. gesch., G & W (But, WHY is the 'g. g.', in Small Letters, for this model?) – made as a 2 piece Patch, of a Wool Front Side & a 'Moleskin' Reverse – w the Maker's Mark [in Silver Wire Thread] sewn onto a Separate Nylon Label, which is then stitched to the lower Reverse Tip. The Eagle's LEFT Talon does NOT touch the arm of the Swastika below it. "Normal" Shaped Eagle Head.

• 3.1B: Non Maker Marked – made as a 2 piece Patch, of a Wool Front Side & a 'Moleskin' Reverse – Eagle's LEFT Talon Does touch the arm of the Swastika below it. Large "Hammer Head" Eagle.

• 3.1C: ges. gesch., G & W - Cotton Thread – made as a 1 piece Patch, of Nylon material! Most Remarkable, is that the TeNo Eagle/Emblem is BeVo 'Woven' using Off-White Cotton Thread – & Not Silver Wire! The "ges. gesch., G & W" is Woven into the pattern, which is then folded over as 3 pieces, & is then hand sewn together! This is a very rarely found Type 3.1 TeNo Triangle Patch!

'Führer / Officer' Patch? = NO: Referring to this TeNo Sleeve Eagle as the 'Führer / Officer' Patch is Not Correct! However 'Almost ALL' Dealers still refer to the TeNo Armscheibe Type 3.1 – DUNKELBLAU TRIANGLE w Eagle, in Silver Metallic Thread – as the TeNo 'Führer / Officer' Sleeve Eagle!

• WHY? Because in most other TR Orgs., Yes, the 'Silver Wire' Models of Patches were customarily designated for Officers.

But - this is NOT Correct for the TeNo, because:

• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is found on 'untouched' TeNo EM/NCO Uniforms (& TN Officer Uniforms).

• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is found on 'untouched' TeNo Drill / Drillich 'Work' Uniforms.

• The 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Triangle Patch is easily 'seen' in period photos of TeNo EM's & NCO's (as well as Officers), as it has a distinctive 'metallic' shine to it, in sunlight.

• The 3.1C Cotton Thread Triangle Patch is almost Never found! So, "IF" this was intended to be the EM/NCO Eagle Triangle - then Examples would be found as > 100:1 (for each "1" Silver Metallic Thread Patch) – but, they are Not.

So, the Evidence is quite Clear – in that the 3.1 Silver Metallic Thread Patch was used for ALL members of the TN • TeNo. It was Not an "Officer Only" Sleeve Patch.

ATTACHMENT: Type 3.1A + 3.1B + 3.1C TeNo Armscheibe BLUE EAGLE Examples

Edited by dblmed

3.2 TeNo Armscheibe TAN / BROWN Color SubType

The Type 3.2 TeNo TAN / BROWN Color Armscheibe is something of an Enigma for me, in trying to understand it’s intended use! It would ‘seem’ that this color combination would be for ‘Tropical’ use – similar to Tan patches of many other TR Organization. Yes, a TeNo Tropical Uniform was described in ‘Uniformen-Markt’ of March 1, 1942 – but I am not ‘sure’ IF the Tan Patch was also described along with the Tropical Kit?

The 1936-1937 Knötel Police Post Card series, Card # 14 (page 487 “Defending the Reich” & Rear Cover of “Police, Vol. 2”) - to my ‘eyes’ is the Tan Sleeve Patch (which Knötel shows on the Drillich.) I also have a Foto of a TN Officer, in White Tunic (Hamburg, 1944), who is wearing this Tan Patch. So – we have the 3.2 Tan Eagle Armscheibe, which ‘may’ have been introduced as early as 1936 & was still in use as of 1944. It has been seen on the TeNo ‘work’ Uniform (Drillich) – the TeNo Tropical Uniform (suggested) - & the TeNo White (Summer) Officer’s Tunic. (It is shown as the Sleeve Eagle on a TeNo White Drillich, on page 561 of “Police, Vol. 2”.) “IF” all of this is Correct - then the 3.2 TAN / BROWN was quite a multipurpose use Patch!

The Type 3.2 TeNo TAN Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:

• Same General Characteristics of Type 3.1C, above, in that

• The base material is of a 1 piece Tan or Lighter Brown Color Nylon, which is then folded over on the Reverse & machine sewn together, but is not completely sewn shut & is not fully covering the Reverse of the ‘Front’ embroidery – except in the BEVO model.

• The TeNo ‘Eagle Emblem’ is machine woven using an Off-White Thread.

• The Eagle’s LEFT Talon Does touch the Arm of the Swastika below it.

VARIATIONS: At least three (3) Variations of Type 3.2 have been seen (So far, & I anticipate other Variations of this model!):

• 3.2A: ges. gesch., BEVO – is machine woven onto the cloth & when folded over, the Name shows on the edge of the Reverse. The fold over completely covers the reverse, but it is Not sewn in the middle. No loose threads are present. Eagle’s body is narrow at its chest & then slightly tapers towards the base. Feathers are Not distinct & the Eagle’s head is Small. Super Construction!

• 3.2B: Non Maker Marked – made as a 1 piece Patch, as above, but the Reverse ‘Fold Over’ is not complete & a mass of loose threads are seen! Eagle’s body is wide at its chest & then tapers towards the base. Feathers are very distinct & are individual. The Eagle’s head is Large.

• 3.2C: Non Maker Marked – made as a 1 piece Patch, as above, but the Reverse ‘Fold Over’ is not complete, & when it is sewn closed, it leaves a small open Reverse sided Triangle, which exposes a mass of loose threads! Eagle’s body is narrow at its chest & then slightly tapers towards the base. Feathers are very distinct & are individual. The Eagle’s head is Medium sized.

ATTACHMENT: Type 3.2A + 3.2B + 3.2C TeNo Armscheibe TAN EAGLE Examples

3.3 TeNo Armscheibe GREEN Color SubType

The Type 3.3 TeNo GREEN Color Armscheibe seems to be the least complex of the ‘Standard’ Type 3.0 Eagles.

There tends to be agreement that the Type 3.3 GREEN Color Armscheibe was intended to be used on the left sleeve of the TeNo ‘Work’ / Drillich Uniform. I have not seen an example of this combination in wear, but I ‘believe’ that it does exist (somewhere!)

The Type 3.3 TeNo GREEN Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:

• Same General Characteristics of Type 3.1C, above, in that

• The base material is a thicker 1 piece Nylon in a Medium GREEN Color.

• There is No ‘Fold Over’ of material – this is a ‘thick’ patch.

• The TeNo ‘Eagle Emblem’ is machine woven using an Off-White Thread. The weaving is rather coarse, leaving less distinct details throughout.

• Feathers are well seen & extend All the way up the neck – as a quite distinct characteristic.

• The Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Arm of the Swastika below it.

• I have Not encountered any Maker Marked examples.

• Besides the GREEN Color, the most Unusual Aspect of the 3.3 is that there is an embroidered peripheral Line Edge, on All 3 sides, using Off-White Thread. (This is Unique for Type 3.0 Eagle Patches.)

VARIATIONS: I have Not seen any significant differences in these Type 3.3, which would suggest any variations (yet!)

ATTACHMENT: Type 3.3 TeNo Armscheibe GREEN EAGLE Examples

3.4 TeNo Armscheibe “CUT-OUT” SubType

The TeNo 3.4 “CUT-OUT” SubType Armscheibe / Eagle does more reasonably belong under the 3.1 SubTypes (but – I was reluctant to show you any More of the “Blue” Variations!) This “CUT-OUT” SubType Armscheibe / Eagle is one which had gone unrecognized by Collectors, until 1st seen on page 473 (TN Officer to the Far RIGHT) in “Defending the Reich.” When I ‘saw’ it, I was surprised that LJ did not comment upon it.

I immediately began searching my TeNo Foto Archives - & YES, I also found Fotos of this “CUT-OUT” SubType Eagle Patch, which I also had also not ‘recognized!’ (In fact, I found 3 Fotos of this “CUT-OUT” SubType Armscheibe / Eagle in my collection & even more examples in some Robert Noss Fotos.) Also, there is a Foto of Landesführer Walther Junecke (LG XVII) wearing his TeNo Greatcoat – with the “CUT-OUT” Eagle clearly present, on page 570 of “Police, Vol. 2.” Thus - there is No question that this variation was worn!

I am aware of only One (1) example of this “CUT-OUT” Eagle – which resides in Paul Ayerst’s collection. (I have Not been able to personally examine it.) Paul informs me that his “CUT-OUT” Eagle example appears to have be made / manufactured, in this configuration & that the edges are wrapped & not ‘cut.’ There is no Maker’s ID present.

In appearance, the “CUT-OUT” Eagle is just like a classic 3.1 Dunkelblau w Silver Wire Eagle. The difference is that 2 pieces of the Cloth Triangle, located between the lower edge of each Wing & the Canted / Rotated Swastica – have been removed. In Paul’s example, the Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Swastica. So, this could represent a 3.1A (by “G & W”) or a 3.1 by a different Maker – which was either specifically Manufactured, or was ‘Custom Made.’

WHY the TeNo “CUT-OUT” Eagle? There is no documentation for it, but my ‘belief / theory’ is that the “CUT-OUT” was done, in order to make the TeNo Sleeve Eagle Emblem more closely resemble the SS Sleeve Eagle (since the SS was the ultimate ‘parent’ Organization for the TeNo.) Hopefully, more Examples of, & Information About, this “CUT-OUT” TeNo Eagle will be found.

ATTACHMENT:

Type 3.4 TeNo Armscheibe ‘CUT-OUT’ EAGLE – Paul Ayerst

Type 3.4 TeNo Armscheibe ‘CUT-OUT’ EAGLE – 2 “In-Wear” Fotos

3.5 TeNo Armscheibe “MINI-SIZE” Unknown SubType

The TeNo 3.5 “MINI-SIZE” Unknown SubType Armscheibe / Eagle is quite an oddity – as it is basically a ‘Miniature’ Type 3.1 Dunkelblau w Silver Wire Thread Sleeve Eagle! It is a real beauty & it was previously Unknown!

This TeNo 3.5 “Mini” is more the size of a TeNo Side Cap Eagle – But, the Eagle’s Head faces it’s RIGHT Wing, as do ALL TeNo Sleeve Eagles. To add to the Mystery, the “Mini” is Maker Marked “ges. Gesch. G & W” on the Reverse & it is of the same Construction as it’s ‘Bigger Brother’ Type 3.1A “G & W” TeNo Sleeve Eagle. This one Example also shows definite signs of having been used & then Uniform removed.

WHAT was the "TN-Mini's" Purpose? I don’t know – yet, but I ‘believe’ that we will learn it’s purpose when reading through some obscure issue of the “TN Verordnungsblatt” or in the “Die Räder” TN bi-monthly Magazine.

One long term TN Collector ‘suggested’ that the 3.5 “Mini” could have been worn by the TN Helferin – since “Mini” sized Eagles were worn by the Female Auxiliary workers, in some other TR Organizations? (However, this is only a ‘guess’ at this point, since No Fotos of [or Information about] the TeNo TR Helferin have yet been found – to my knowledge.)

ATTACHMENT: Type 3.5 TeNo Armscheibe ‘MINI’ EAGLE – w 2 Other “G & W” Examples

3.6 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType

The TeNo 3.6 HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType Armscheibe is one of the “Hyper-Rare” TeNo patches. I am aware of only TWO (2) examples of this type.

Yes – this is One of ONLY 2 TeNo Eagle Examples on Black Cloth!

The Type 3.6 HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType Armscheibe has the following Characteristics:

• The base material is of 1 piece of Black wool.

• There is No ‘Fold Over’ of material. (Embroidery ‘stitches’ are seen on the Reverse.)

• The TeNo ‘Eagle Emblem’ is HAND Embroidered using an Off-White Thread.

• The TeNo Cog Wheel has 18 Cogs (A Very Unusual Number!)

• The Embroidery is quite fine & shows many details exceptionally well. Distinct ‘twisted thread’ is used between some wing feathers.

• The Eagle’s Head is of a very ‘Unusual’ rounded shape & has a hand applied Black Thread ‘Eye.’

• The Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Arm of the Swastika below it.

• It is Not Maker Marked.

VARIATIONS: I am aware of only TWO (2) examples of this TeNo Type 3.6 HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType Armscheibe. It may well be a “Limited Use” patch – which was Custom Embroidered for a specific TN Unit, or for a Special Purpose designation. (I would Love to see another Example of this type!) ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

ATTACHMENT: Type 3.6 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – WHITE