News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wall & Pavement Art of the Post 1960's Northern Ireland Toubles

Very much a part of the Northern Ireland scene still, not just slogans daubed on walls but artwork of varying standards indicating the loyalties of the local population.

Again, please, we steer clear of political comment or dispute, we know what these murals represent, we don't have to agree with the sentiments expressed, they're posted for interest & not to provoke upset or offence.

An iconic photo from 1969, this appears within & on the front cover of "The Battle of the Bogside" by press photographer Clive Limpkin, published by Penguin in 1972.

Edited by leigh kitchen

A mural inspired by the above photo, painted by"the Bogside Artists" (Tom Kelly, Kevin Hasson & William Kelly), one of 12 currently displayed in the area of "Free Derry Corner", Bogside, Derry / Londonderry, painted between 1994 - 2006, & comprising "the People's Gallery".

Originally painted in 1994, the 3-storey maisonette on which it's painted had since been renovated by the housing executive but the mural preserved.

This photo appears on the Bogside Artist's website:

Edited by leigh kitchen

A typical neighborhood scene. the garage behind the tip on the left was a chop shop run by the UDA.

FTP= "Fxxk the Pope.", a quote from the 36th Ulster Division soldiers as they went over the top on July 1, 1916 on the4 first day of the Somme.

Edited by Ulsterman

Next up, the Catholic/Republican areas. On the left is the tricolor in the distance. The wall ahead says, "welcome to Provoland" ("Provo"= member of the Provisional I.R.A., or "PIRA" as we used to say).

The hurried slap-dash daubings of the early days gave way to the more ornate & showy type of mural during the 70's & 80's, I was quite surprised when I saw the 1990's artwork in the style of post no. 2. Impressive & colourful works but with a serious meaning.