News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

graf v B...ndenstein-Zeppelin

Guest Brian von Etzel

I can't make out this signature. From my grandfather's scrapbook. Any idea of anyone from one of the famous Zeppelin family branches who might have this name?

It's July, 1915, 3.K.D.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Guest Brian von Etzel

Brandenfstein

Geez, I have to do my OWN homework.

Maybe his father a General of the Kav.? 1913 this gentleman is a major.

1913 7. Wuerttembergishches Nr. 125. He's in the the 3.K.D. in 1915.

Something w/enamel and swords 3rd class... BMV4 PRA04. Where's the key to these awards with a little picture?

Fascinating he's got swords in 1913.

Now, here's how I haven't a clue how to read these bloody books...

Same name, page 639 Grenadier Reg. Koenigin Olga 1.Wuerttemb. Nr. 119. Major. Same enameled award w/swords...

Rick, help me understand this gibberish.

Why is the Rangliste showing the same exact set of last names, same rank in two different places. My guess two different majors from the same family Zeppelin tree.

And no Wuertt. awards for my grandfather, maybe the son didn't make it?

Brian,

only one Graf von Brandenstein-Zeppelin in the W?rttemberg Army in 1914: Hauptmann Graf Alexander Brandenstein-Zeppelin. This W?rttemberg nobleman was attached to the Great General Staff in Berlin.

Born 27 September 1881 at Ludwigsburg, commissioned into the army from cadet school as a Leutnant on 23 March 1900 in Ulanen-Regiment K?nig Karl (1. W?rttembergisches) Nr. 19. Later serving as the Regimental Adjutant, he attended the War Academy in 1909/1911. Of note is the fact that prior to 1909 he is listed as just "von Brandenstein" and from then onwards as Graf von Brandenstein-Zeppelin. Follwing his War Academy course he was attached to the General Staff for the next two years before being assigned there in 1914.

Leutnant: 23.3.00 K

Oberleutnant: 19.11.08 (Patent - 18.10.09 Z45z

Rittmeister/Hauptmann: 18.12.13 T2t

Major: 15.7.18 M3m

In your photograph the officer is still wearing the flat shoulder boards of an Hauptmann plus the collar patches of a General Staff Officer. Hauptmann Graf Alexander Brandenstein-Zeppelin was awarded the WMVO3 on 21 May 1915 as a General Staff Officer in the 3. Kavallerie-Division. Retired as a Major a.D.

Your man I think!

Regards

Glenn

Guest Brian von Etzel

Obviously, thank you very much. Why did I see him as a Major in the Rangliste and listed twice?

v.Brandenstein listed in the 1913 Rangliste on page 639 and 647.

Hi all,

Nothing further on the W?rttemberg officer Alexander v. Brandenstein's military career I can add, but the following on how the double-barreled name came into being: After having bought back the castle of Brandenstein (in Hesse near Schl?chtern, not too far away from Frankfurt) in 1905, he married the legendary Graf Zeppelin's daughter in 1909 and was then elevated to "Graf" by the King of W?rttemberg, taking the title of Graf von Brandenstein-Zeppelin. This should explain the name change in the ranklist. This is just taken from a website on Brandenstein castle, but should be accurate.

Regards, Kurt

Edited by Kurt D?nch

Guest Brian von Etzel

The two different entries for the Majore are;

1. Wurerttemb. Nr. 119

26. Div.

51. Inf. Brig. (mit Inf R. 125)

7. Wuerttemb. Nr. 125

26. Div.

51. Inf. Brig. (mit Gren. R. 119)

Both out of Stuttgart.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Another gentleman sleeping is of a v. Schwarzkopf. Show only one a Rittm. who was in the Dragoner Reg. Freiherr von Manteuffel.

Here he is, in lots of other photos, sleeping on a cart, blow up the photo, see the box in the back, is it a box of ammo, machine guns, helmets, Iron Crosses, food, no...

Remember, this is the Eastern Front, not Stuttgart. Anyone recognize the brewerei?

Guest Brian von Etzel

And it's not always the person in the foreground sleeping but what's going on the world while he sleeps. Look at the amazing details probably 50 yards to the rear. The temporary command structure, flag, troops...

Brian,

The two different entries for the Majore are

I'm a little bit confused. Are you talking about two Major von Zeppelins and not von Brandensteins?

G.R. 119: Major 25.2.13 - Albrecht von Zeppelin

I.R. 125: Major 16.6.13 H - Hermann von Zeppelin

Regards

Glenn

Brian,

from the Rangliste der K?niglich Preu?ischen Armee und des XIII. (K?niglich W?rttembergischen) Armeekorps f?r 1913 as at 6 May 1913:

Major Hermann von Brandenstein 27.1.13 H - Infanterie-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm, K?nig von Bayern (2. W?rttembergisches) Nr. 120

Major z.D. Rudolf von Brandenstein Char. 25.2.04 - Landwehrbezirk Stuttgart

Incidentally Hermann von Brandenstein was a later OPLM winner and char. General der Infanterie.

Rittmeister von Schwarzkopf was the Adjutant of 3. Kavallerie-Division.

Kurt,

thanks for the information regarding Graf von Brandenstein-Zeppelin's promotion in the nobility.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Brian von Etzel

Rittmeister von Schwarzkopf was the Adjutant of 3. Kavallerie-Division.

Ah, well clear on at least the main player, Schwarzkopf. So he WAS my grandfather's Adjutant! Have some nice photos of him. He was quite the dashing man with beard, sported a white shirt he wore sans jacket. Rode ahead of the column in one photo to take the salute of the guard at the gate. VERY very nice stuff.

Maybe one day someone will do a search, find this thread and present himself as a relative!

It's the primary reason I post these.

Guest Brian von Etzel

In another series v.Schwarzkopf is examining damage to a town. And in another he is inspecting trench type fortifications.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Brian von Etzel

Brian,

managed to find Rittmeister von Schwarzkopf's first name or to be more precise all his forenames :D

Kurt Guido Cuno Detlef Heinrich von Schwarzkopf. Born 28 January 1874 in Hannover.

Regards

Glenn

Great group of names there! Thanks Glenn.

AND, I am patiently waiting for more battle information from you!!!

• 1 month later...

Brian,

for some unknown reason Major Kurt von Schwarzkopf is not listed in any of the wartime Prussian published Dienstalterslisten: 1917, 1918 & the postwar 1919 edition. He is still listed as a Rittmeister in Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 5 in the 1914 Rangliste.

However for the purposes of you being able to date your photographs, I can confirm that he was promoted to Major on the 28th of November 1914.

Regards

Glenn