News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Hi Jan,

May I first wish you a warm welcome to the Forum!!! :jumping: really happy to see you here!!!

Indeed, Brezhnev collected orders, including the famous Order of Victory awarded to him in 1978, against its regulations (and cancelled in 1989).

But, he never succeeded having more than 8 Orders of Lenin.

So, he is not the right answer.... :P

Ch.

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan,

Bravo!!!! Congrats!!!! You got it!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

You won, it is Ustinov!!

Dimitri Fyodorovich Ustinov

Ustinov (October 17, 1908?December 20, 1984) was Defense Minister of the Soviet Union from 1976 until his death. He had previously been head of the defense industry since Stalin appointed him People's Commissar of Armaments in 1941. He also became deputy premier in 1957.

A candidate member of the Politburo since 1965, he did not become a full member until he was Defense Minister, at which time, though always a civilian before, he was also made a Marshal of the Soviet Union.

Ustinov was widely regarded as the likely conservative candidate to succeed Yuri Andropov as General Secretary of the ruling CPSU. However the appointment of Konstantin Chernenko allowed the reformist forces around Mikhail Gorbachev to further strengthen their hand and eventually it was Gorbachev who succeeded.

On his death the city of Izhevsk was briefly renamed for him, but under Mikhail Gorbachev cities that had been renamed for recent Soviet leaders reverted to their former names.

Bravo again,

Your turn now (bad luck, you have to find a question ;) ).

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Ed,

Sorry for this... Keep your question, your turn will come :P .

Cheers.

Ch.

Okay, okay, okay, I got a question. See if you find this one :rolleyes:

The Mongolian title of honoured cosmonaut was only awarded twice, to whom, and ... for which flight?

Well . . . one that I actually know . . . :jumping:

Recipients of the Badge of teh Cosmonaut of Mongolia:

Gurragcha Zhugderdemidiyn - research cosmonaut, Soyuz 39 (March 1981)

Ganzorig Maidarzhavyn - research cosmonaut, Soyuz 39 (backup)

"Might Have Been" recipients:

Captain Surenkhorloo Darjaagiin, Mongolian Air Force - research cosmonaut candidate for the second Soyuz mission (Interkosmos group 2), but not selected

Captain Saintsog Sanjaadambiin, Mongolian Air Force - research cosmonaut candidate for the second Soyuz mission (Interkosmos group 2), but not selected

Two others for Interkosmos group 2?

Footnotes:

http://www.spacefacts.de

Dr. Battushig's book, of course, pp. 34, 179

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/peo...uts/gurrag.html

LADIIIIEEES AND GENTLEMEN? WE HAVE A WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNER.

Congratulations, even with some info I did not know.

First off:

Jugderdemidiyn GURRAGCHA :

First Mongolian in space, Research Cosmonaut, Aeronautic engineer; Major General; later Deputy Chief of central board of defence; Chief of the scientific institute in Ulaanbaatar; Mongolian Minister of Defence.

Maidarzhavyn GANZORIG:

Graduated from the Kiev Polytechnic University, 1975; Ph.D. from Space Research Institute in Moscow, 1981; was selected as backup for Soyuz 39; from 1984 - 1991, Head of RS laboratory at the Institute of Physics and Technology, Mongolian Academy of Sciences; since then Director of Informatics and Remote Sensing Centre of the Mongolian Academy of Sciences, Ulaanbaatar.

Yes, Jan,

On thinking about it more, I agree. The other two were the two for Soyuz 39: four candidates for Interkosmos 2, one of these flew on Soyuz 39 (Gurragcha), and one was the backup (Ganzorig). You wonder what awards (if any) Surenkhorloo and Saintsog received?

I was in a rush to get my answering post up before some other quick-fingered forumite beat me to it. ;)

Ed