News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trench art

Tony

Hello,

Is anyone else here interested in trench art?

I know a lot of it can be called kitsch and I sometimes get a funny look when I bring my latest piece of ?art? home but I still like it.

I used to own much more than I do now and have sold off some good pieces but, here?s what I have at present. I suppose the football game isn?t really trench art (probably made in factories in the UK for children back home) however, I think it?s great. The bracelets were probably made at a jeweller?s, actually I don?t think the troops would have had much time for creations unless they were in workshops behind the lines somewhere.

The chromed letter knife was actually brought home by my wife?s Grandad after the French released him in 1920 or 21.

Tony

A pencil and letter opener. The opener is German I would think.

The pencil has souvenir de guerre engraved on it so, maybe sold by French civilians to troops or battlefield visiters after the war.

• 1 year later...

Hello Dan,

I've been on that site before and have always found it interesting.

I think I've sold on most of my items above, I only have the bracelets, penknife, lamp, French M15 and football game left.

Tony

Hello Dan,

I've been on that site before and have always found it interesting.

I think I've sold on most of my items above, I only have the bracelets, penknife, lamp, French M15 and football game left.

Tony

Hi Tony,

That's still a great collection in my eyes. I LOVE :love::jumping::jumping: the M15. That turtle shell look and coloration is just beautiful!!!! Is it wood or metal?

Looks like we need to get some more folks involved in this end of the hobby. I've had a few pieces in the past but then sold them, with the exception of a German light made from a buckle. I'll do up some scans and include them when I get home. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Sadly it's missing some parts but still looks neat. Would love some letter openers, pocket knives, etc., someday as I'm a blade collector as well so would go nicely in either collection. There's a few other items I've seen over the years that have caught my eye but was always too focused on other things.

I think so many folks get hooked up with the official issue items but to me the trench art is one of the most personal of military collectibles. Sad that most don't have more of their histories still attached.

Dan :cheers:

Yep, I find it great too. I think it's just different and something not seen too often.

Dan, it's made from a hard wood but I don't know which sort, I did see one on ebay.fr a while back though, it was being sold as a sweet's container but was missing the badge. You can just imagine it on the bar at Cafe Rene, being used to hold cheese ready for when Madam Edith does her cabaret. You'll understand what I mean if you've ever seen Allo Allo.

Leigh, I hope to be moving later in the year and have a lot of stuff I won't be able to take, unfortunately, the wooden Mle 15 with lovely toned brass comb and badge will be moving with me. :P

Now who was it who wanted that private diary I have for a 1/7 Robin Hood 1st July 1916 casualty? Only it's small enough to keep for ever and ever or till I'm desperate for cash. :P:P:P

I?ve taken another picture of the hat along with my letter opener (a big thanks to Ralph for that) and 2 pieces of brass I bought at a flea market near Verdun last year.

Get digging and take some pics of your trench art.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Dan, it's made from a hard wood but I don't know which sort, I did see one on ebay.fr a while back though, it was being sold as a sweet's container but was missing the badge. You can just imagine it on the bar at Cafe Rene, being used to hold cheese ready for when Madam Edith does her cabaret. You'll understand what I mean if you've ever seen Allo Allo.

Get digging and take some pics of your trench art.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Sadly I've never been able to get hold of any Allo, Allo or Dad's Army, both of which I'm dying to see. Hoping to get the DVD sets before too terribly long if the $$ situation improves as I'm hoping.

Whoever made it did a fantastic job in staining the wood. The color is just fantastic! It's definitely a stand out piece and I don't blame you one bit for hanging onto it. I know if I had it I'd hold on for dear life! :D Simply beautiful! :love::jumping::jumping:

And amen... guys, get the lead out and dig out some good pieces to post! This threads been too quiet for far too long. :jumping::jumping:

I have a few bits & pieces including a pen knfe cartridge the same as the one in the photo with the M15.

I'll try to dig them out.

Hi Leigh... sounds great! Can't wait to see your collection. Again this threads been far too quiet. Need to get some action in here. :D

Many apologies gents as I'd thought I would have time to post my lighter yesterday... will give it another shot today. Found out the Judge is in rather unexpectedly and has taken over my office which he does when he's here... only a couple times a month on average so not a biggie. But I've got an unexpected three day weekend. To anyone else that would be great but I love this job and hate leaving stuff over the weekend... plus I'll probably be hit with the great deluge on Monday as a consequence.

Got a few things to take care of round the house and then will try to get to it later today. :beer:

Hi all,

Better late than never as they say. Many apologies for the delay. Ended up not feeling all that great yesterday after I'd posted the above. But got down just a bit ago and did some scans so without further ado:

Missing the main top piece but looks like if I could find one it would screw right on and be ready for use.

Wish I had more to share but I'm always on the lookout. :beer:

I forgot about this, it's a French fuze for a 75 I think.

I bought it in France and was told it would have been used as an egg cup, for quail eggs. I use it as a candle holder but the wax makes a mess when it melts and flows through the holes.

The Lebel bullet is for size comparison.

I forgot about this, it's a French fuze for a 75 I think.

I bought it in France and was told it would have been used as an egg cup, for quail eggs. I use it as a candle holder but the wax makes a mess when it melts and flows through the holes.

The Lebel bullet is for size comparison.

Hi Tony,

Wow! That's a beauty!!!! :love::love: I've always wanted one of the timer shells from the period but they all seem to pop up across the pond and the shipping ends up being too high. Our museum has one that is the one that made me fall in love with them. But never seen one done up like this. Great piece!!!! :beer: Thanks so much for sharing! :cheers:

Dan

• 2 years later...
    • 7 months later...

Excellent collection! :)

I only collect Portuguese items, but this one it's an exception (it's most probably not Portuguese since the expeditionary corps where near Neuve Chapelle) and my only trench art piece:

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

Welcome to the forum Olharapo (even though you've been here a while now).

That's a great case and I'm guessing it could be a US made example. Turned into trench art for a German or Frenchman which I'm basing on the word Mai, both meaning May in French and German but you probably know that anyway.

Tony

Edited by Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Olharapo (even though you've been here a while now).

That's a great case and I'm guessing it could be a US made example. Turned into trench art for a German or Frenchman which I'm basing on the word Mai, both meaning May in French and German but you probably know that anyway.

Tony

Hi!

Thank you for the information.

About this piece I only knew that it was made in May 1917 and that the flowers engraved are typical from the season.

Best regards

• 8 years later...