News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Like winning the lottery

Michael Johnson

Lately, after some years of hitting my head against brick walls and dead ends, I received a windfall of information on my great uncle.

The regimental history revealed that he was wounded at Verdun, during the defence of Fleury-devant-Douaumont in June 1916.

His service papers gave the date - June 14, 1916, and the fact that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with ?toile en vermeil shortly after. It also showed that he was awarded the L?gion d'honneur (Chevalier) in 1933. He even served one week in 1940, although he would have been almost 56 then.

More here.

And this was not long after I bought the memorial scroll, Medaille Militaire and Croix de Guerre to Soldat DANIELO of the 348th Infantry, who was killed nearby June 8th. They were both in the 52nd Reserve Division.

Edited by Michael Johnson