News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cloth glider badge - real versus fake

Hallo Jos! Well, Stijn, Jos and Chris: to borrow from the late, great, Bill Stump...looks like I'm going to be eating crow pie! Seriously, these two photos do appear to show tan-backed cloth badges worn on the tropical tunics. OK...someone must have produced some.

PK

I'm aware and I agree that many tropical cloth badges are probably fake.

However,the ones Warlord posted do show the right features and weaving.

I'm not asking myself whether these badges existed,I just go for what I see.

Then,the pic I posted made me more convinced.

From now,I'd give trop.cloth badges the benefit of the doubt and see them in a different light.

Never say never,I've found many things in pics the last few years and my mind is

getting more open every time.

This means I don't believe everything unless I'm convinced.

My main goal is to find my way through all fakes and stuff.

It's more complicated than we might guess,but every little thing we find might help a lot of people.

I'm just working in a narrow field,namely common flight stuff,but it's rather complex when it comes

to extraodinary items and the common items are faked in large amounts already only just the last few years.

Flight stuff wasn't that interesting in the past,but now we see fakers have changed their minds and the market is flooded...and sold by the dozen 'cause people never invested in learning about a common pair of rubber goggles..so,they buy them..

It all starts like this.

Luckily we can follow them them in this late stage and see what they come up with next time.

Anyway....

Jos.

Edited by Jos Le Cont

Hello,

I do fully concur with what Jos said. In my beginng stag of collecting a older collector told me about German stuff "never say never", he was aiming on both : variations and the having of certain pieces in the collection.

It does not mean offcoarse that one has to believe everthing that is offered and is not stadard is good also but when you study a limited field of interest you become aware that variations that are sometimes not regulations are in existence and sometimes on a larger scale then tought.

Lets think in that on the glider pilot collecting, this is a very specialized field but i can already name one exception that was (and still is) often siad to be fake, etc ... etc ... => the large eagle variant of the glider pilots badge. period wartime pictures do proove 100 % the existence of the existence and badges have already surfaced from former wearers, etc ... but still they remain unknown and the thruth about them even more.

Anyway this subject was about cloth badges etc ... => during my research for my book (stil going on by the way) there are more raritys then expected and more rules broken then ever dreamed off. So my advice towards all collectors is : keep your eyes open and try to vieuw as much as possible period photographs in a certain area.

So my advice is : Be curious but remain aware. Place as much questions as possible but think about the subject and learn. Do also not go over a one night of ice and iff you go over to spread a theory be ready to proove it or do not spread the theory. (we already have enough of such theorys who will always remain that) Then you will find real treasures !!!

Cordial greetings + lets show some more

• 13 years later...