News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have been asked by Alex (Jaba1914) to post photos of my Marine Pilots and Observers badges. These came from the Forman Collection several years ago.

Firstly the Marine Pilot for Seeplanes:

Finally, Marine Observers badge.

Stan.

Incredible badges. I seen this on Thies catalog but the pictures were so small. Now to see this wonderfull badges again its so good.

Stan, thank you that you post this for me and all who loves imperial aviation.

Regards

Alex

PS: Stan is the silver navy pilot badge made of two pieces?

Edited by jaba1914

Incredible badges. I seen this on Thies catalog but the pictures were so small. Now to see this wonderfull badges again its so good.

Stan, thank you that you post this for me and all who loves imperial aviation.

Regards

Alex

PS: Stan is the silver navy pilot badge made of two pieces?

Hi Alex,

No, it's one piece construction. I just noticed the scratched details on the reverse side of it- I wish I could decipher it.

Stan

Guest Rick Research

Under the rectangular ghost of a price or inventory sticker, the name is illegible under round "lichen" corrosion discoloration over "Ltn z. S." over "18 ." It looks like there is a much neater, smaller "17" over on the lower left.

Too bad, since any real naval officer recipient is traceable.

Up to you to decide whether cleaning off the corrosion and patina is worth a possible (it IS a scratched scribble :rolleyes: ) identification, since removing that surface means only "before and after" photos would prove the scratching pre-existed the cleaning. Changing from color to black and white often works better since it deducts the visual distractions of shine and color distortion.

It is possible that the scratched name has been scratched out to obscure it. Can't even tell that from the surface corrosion and patina.

Try a close up and maybe darken it for enhanced "shadow" contrast before cleaning.

Guest Rick Research

The real problem is the 3-D lichen-like corrosion right smack in the middle of whatever crude scratching the name is-- disrupting the awkward flow of whatever letters are there. I can GUESS at the last 2 (?) letters, but not even sure what the initial letter is with the Giant Tarnish Zit plopped right smack on top of the most important bit of the whole thing.

That very first badge is not a Schaper. it's by a (continuingly unknown), obscure manufacturer who used the same pin shape/design as well as the tiny silver content mark plates affixed to the rear on both navy & army badges. Outstanding. The Navy badge is the very first by this maker I have seen. However, the details do not deceive, it can be none other than the same maker.

• 2 months later...

Due to the opinion of someone that I hold with regard, I have recently cast suspicion on a badge that I own. I bought it nearly ten years ago from a reputable dealer -but those facts, as we all know, are less important when it comes to evaluating a piece's veracity. :unsure:

Please let me have your opinions on my Marine Land Pilot badge. If you have ever seen a badge like mine and why you believe it's period, or not.

Hi Claudius, the pictures are not really clear enough to make a definate opinion but the general hardware setup and style are worrying for me. Can you post clearer/closer pictures? As I see from the pictures it looks rather like one of the many bogus Schaper badges but an unmarked example.I may be wrong but I will check out my reference photo's and return.Ferg1.

Roger that. I will return to the camera and try to come back with some clearer shots.

In it's defense; If your going to fake this badge, why didn't they add the Schaper mark to really "sell" the piece.

In it's prosecution; 1) It was pointed out to me that the sunrays going through the bird is atypical. 2) The relief is very high, almost ridged, 3) The distance between the hinge and hook is a little longer than I've seen from other naval badges and 4) This finish has, for the lack of a better word, spalding in places, again I haven't seen that on good badges.

Hi Claudius, thanks for the clearer pics. but I have to say I fear the worst. IMO it is copy. You are right about the catch position in the case of Schaper badges anyway ,the catch should be positioned further up. I feel this is one of the Schaper type copies ,unmarked. It has all the hallmarks of one of these,pin type ,catch position detail to front etc... Sorry mate ,I hope it didn't set you back too much.Ferg1