News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The 13th Hussars were originally "Richard Munden?s Regiment of Dragoons", a heavy dragoon regiment.

By 1751 they were known as "The 13th Regiment of Dragoons".

By 1783 they had converted from heavy to light cavalry. Initially Light Dragoons formed part of a cavalry regiment, in a scouting & reconnaisance role, but whole regiments were raised as their value became apparent.

In 1861 the regiment was renamed "The 13th Hussars".

In 1922 the 13th amalgamated with the 18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) to form "The 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own)".

The 13th/18th amalgamated in 1992 with the 15th/19th King?s Hussars to form "The Light Dragoons".

This Edwardian card shows a Trooper of the 13th Hussars in Marching Order, & the Regimental Sergeant Major in Review Order:

A Trumpeter in Review Order & a Trooper & Signalling Sergeant in Drill Order.

As the 13th were a "non - royal" regiment, the Trumpeter wears green cords instead of the red, blue & yellow twisted cords of a "royal" regiment

His crossed trumpets arm badge of appointment (Clothing Warrant 1865) is worn on a backing of the regimental facing colour & is worn with the bells of the trumpets down.

In some units it was worn the other way up, & is known to have been worn both ways within the same unit.

The Kettle Drummer of the 13th Hussars.

The drum banners & shabraque bear the monogram of King Edward VII, although the "Victorian Crown" is worn rather than the "King's Crown".

The artist has coloured the drum banners a distinct shade of buff, which is incorrect - although the faings of the 13th were officially "buff", the regiment chose to interpret this as "white":

• 6 months later...

Leigh certainly has some lovely pictures and lots of them from what I can gather! Matched only by his depth of knowledge but enough of the accolades :) .

Whenever I return to GMIC after an absence there is always a topic or two that I can contribute to, which is why it is my favourite forum!

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Thanks Stuart, but I'm not so sure about depth of knowledge, especially with people like yourself & many others who know a lot, rather than a little about a lot.

I had'nt given much thought to how the busby bag affixed to the headgear, I thought that it was liable to "clamp" somewhere with fixings under the inside rim of the top of the busby.

I've never had a close look at one of these.

Here's a Victorian / Edwardian "scrap" of a 13th Hussars, about 5" tall.

Leigh,

I had a quick look at one of my busbies but would not apply too much pressure on the top trying to establish how the bag was fixed, but I think I felt stitching. The interior top is fully lined with no evidence of how the bag was fixed.

Does yours have stitch holes?

Stuart

• 11 years later...