News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

bavarian erinnerungszeichen fur leistungen 1866-volunteer doctors

hello all,

i got this in this week (with a two-week return policy) and i must say that i am extremely sceptical of it's authenticity. does anyone have images of a documented original piece? thies had one of these up for auction (#34) last year, but i could not find a pic. further images that i have managed to find have been very poor.

the original item is supposed to be made of oxidised bronze...

anyhow, here are some pics. i welcome any opinions-thanks!

Hello Eric:

I saw one of these on Ebay listed week after week (perhaps this one, or perhaps there were many for sale). Originals are extremely rare and I do not know of any photographs of originals that can be found easily. The concensus regarding these pieces that do crop up from time to time is that they are modern copies made to deceive collectors. It is definately not a period-issued piece. The spurious "Poellath, Schroebenhausen" marks are interesting (they must have been making pilot badge copies at the same time and thought that this mark would look good on these badges). The fact that this is well made shows how convincing some of the copies (forgeries) can be.

My suggestion would be to return it as soon as possible.

Note: Your would be more likely numerically to find a genuine PLM on Ebay (and we know that is not probable!).

Best regards,

"SPM"

thank you SPM for corrobating my thoughts. i was thinking the same thing!

one further point that needs to be made is that the heads of the serpents on the caduceus(sp?) for this example do not match the ones i have seen depicted in images of 'original' ones.

:cheers:

Hello again Eric:

Well, that is good news. Sometimes it is at this stage of the deal with a "guarantee" that they state that you must "prove" that it is not genuine (sometimes with a "museum evaluation").

Best regards,

"SPM"

just an update:

have been in contact with the owner of this item and he seemed geniunely shocked/perturbed by the bad news--

but to his credit, he has informed me he intends to assume shipping costs, which speaks volumes towards his character, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I would like to add some additional information with regard to this award before this thread fades away completely. I apologize for this late response but I have been traveling.

This decoration, Erinnerungszeichen f?r Zivil?rtze, which roughly translates to Memory Decoration for Civil Physicians, was founded on 25 February 1867. According to Nimmergut, approximately 60 were awarded and it should measure 53 mm x 45 mm. Being made of darkened oxidized bronze, it will look like the example shown below.

Because these pieces should weigh 20.28 gr. and this example weighs 23.4 gr., I cannot completely guarantee it?s authenticity; but I believe that it is a reasonably accurate representation. I hope that this information is helpful.

Regarrds,

Wild Card

Because these pieces should weigh 20.28 gr. and this example weighs 23.4 gr., I cannot completely guarantee it?s authenticity; but I believe that it is a reasonably accurate representation. I hope that this information is helpful.

Regarrds,

Wild Card

I would be very careful with those details published in Nimmergut. :shame: