News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

info ww2 us coast guard visor cap

hello

any info about this recently purchase:rank and what is the difference to recognize a post war visor cap or ww2 one like this,im refering of course for US COAST GUARD VISORS,i don received the hat at this moment so i dont have more pics than these,thanks for info and regards from spain.

fernando :beer:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...=tab%3DWatching

I cannot says as to vintage but I can tell you two things negative about the hat

1) The hat is for CPO, or Junior Officers

2) The insignia is for junior and senior enlisted under

CPO, and not appropriate for the cap

ok thanks and how is the cap for junior and senior enlisted,can you send me pics,and finally what do you think about the hat it is a fake or a put-together cap but with badge and cap changed?are you collector of US coast guard hats?send me pics or post them,thanks

fernando

I am not a CG collector. It is a branch that has held my interest for many years, I do have some items, but not many

There is nothing wrong with the cap, it's the badge that is wrong. The same type of cap

has been worn by Chiefs in the Navy & CG for decades

On furthur research it looks like the device on your cap is primarily for CG females up to CPO

The CG Chiefs badge is below, as is a representation of the other badge being worn (by a friends daughter)

Edited by David S

That is a very nice WW2 era cap for a CG Chief(or naval). Are there any tags inside the visor? As stated by David, the badge is incorrect. It should be the CPO anchor.

hello

finally the hat is here,i have seen has gilt us navy buttons with eagle facing on right(if you see on the left),standing a horizontal anchor(i think is us navy),labeled berkshire,wicker frame,black chinstrap,anybody can tell me if is ww2 us navy chief petty officer visor and a person added a us coast guard device and anybody who posted pics of ww2 cpo visor caps to compare?and tell me how is the original device for a ww2 cpo visor cap

thanks

hello

finally the hat is here,i have seen has gilt us navy buttons with eagle facing on right(if you see on the left),standing a horizontal anchor(i think is us navy),labeled berkshire,wicker frame,black chinstrap,anybody can tell me if is ww2 us navy chief petty officer visor and a person added a us coast guard device and anybody who posted pics of ww2 cpo visor caps to compare?and tell me how is the original device for a ww2 cpo visor cap

thanks

I guess I was wrong. Your cap is correct, as is!

Check out about halfway down this link(another one for sale).

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWII/WWIIHeadgear.htm

On furthur research it looks like the device on your cap is primarily for CG females up to CPO

David,

That insignia is used by both genders(on the visor) up to the rank of CPO. Today, when we become a CPO, the device changes to an anchor(and gets changed for Senior Chief and Master Chief as well).

Sorry to take so long in responding, I've been racking my brain as to where I've seen this before. The smaller verison of the insignia was used as

collar devices for SPARS (women Coasties) But they didn't use the large insignia at all for a hat device. So, what was it used for? Check this page in the Offical Coast Guard web site

http://www.uscg.mil/history/uscghist/USCG_...Photos_1941.asp

You will see in the article a CPO that was a surfman apparently used the same hat device as the enlisted. This could explain why it's on a khaki hat.

So bottom line it appears you have a unique CPO hat.

Here is a picture of an enlisted man in a surfman's uniform.

Edited by coastie

David,

That insignia is used by both genders(on the visor) up to the rank of CPO. Today, when we become a CPO, the device changes to an anchor(and gets changed for Senior Chief and Master Chief as well).

Thanks Paul :cheers:

I was thinking about sending you a pm on this

I was looking for references on this and could find damned little regarding the

device and its use. I have some info on it being worn on ballcaps, but was

unsure of the E-1 to E-6 wear of visors. There are a great many pics of

females wearing, but a dearth of males

I guess I was wrong. Your cap is correct, as is!

Check out about halfway down this link(another one for sale).

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWII/WWIIHeadgear.htm

hi paul

i have been checked my hat,and the buttons are us navy,gilt buttons with eagle facing right(if you see on left)but the eagle is standing a horizontal anchor,i think this is for us navy,isn,it?may be this cap is for a us navy cpo and was added this device from coast guard?what period was used this gilt coast guard device with screw back?i would like post pics but i dont know how do them smaller to post them,i would like opinions

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone:

I just joined this group and would like to comment on this hat and hat device. First off this hat and device are correct. This is the hat and hat device for Coast Guard Surfman that was in service during WWII. I don't exactly know when the rate was disbanded, probably the early 50s late 40s. Surman had a dress blues with white combination hat for wintert and a khaki hat and uniform for the summer. The other members of the Coast Guard had the traditional Navy cracker jacks which were worn until 1974. Admiral Bender wanted Coasties to have a separate and distinct uniform. This is the uniform we wear today. Many coasties don't know that todays uniform was actually based on the 1940s Surfman's uniform. The hat device today is similar in design as the surfmans with a couple of differences. 1 The surfmans hat device was a solid one piece of brass, 2 Todays device is is made of 2 pieces silver anchors and a brass colored shield. The gentleman in the picture is a surfman not a CPO. Look closely at the picture and you will notice that he is wearing a single breasted suit jacket. During the 20s,30, 40s, 50, and 60s up until 1974 CG officers and chiefs wore Navy style double breasted jackets. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Hello everyone:

This is not a Coast Guard CPO hat. I would venture to say it is a CPO for the U.S. Maritime Service aka the Merchant Marines. I have a Maritime Service CPO device in my collection. They look similar to the Coast Guard shield from a distance. Up close however the hat device clearly says U.S. Maritime Service. This apparently is a bullion version hence there is no lettering. I have never seen one before. In the Navy and Coast Guard only officers had the option of bullion, apparently so did Merchant Marine chiefs. Very nice item and extremely rare.

:beer:

Hello everyone:

This is not a Coast Guard CPO hat. I would venture to say it is a CPO for the U.S. Maritime Service aka the Merchant Marines. I have a Maritime Service CPO device in my collection. They look similar to the Coast Guard shield from a distance. Up close however the hat device clearly says U.S. Maritime Service. This apparently is a bullion version hence there is no lettering. I have never seen one before. In the Navy and Coast Guard only officers had the option of bullion, apparently so did Merchant Marine chiefs. Very nice item and extremely rare.

:beer:

Thanks for the clarification on the insignia, Chief. I would have never guessed it was a Maritime Service piece.