News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's Awards ?

Les

Rick...or Glenn

This question is really a thread by itself, but the subject "Turkish Super Hero" raises my query.

Do either of you have Mustafa Kemal Atat?rk's listing of decorations awarded up to the end of the war? If I recall correctly, he fought at a company grade officer during the 1912 Balkan War. Although he didn't lead any attacks personally, he was in exposed positions frequently in his role as a division commander, etc. I'm curious what actual valor or gallantry awards he acquired...the hard way.

Les

QUOTE (Les @ Oct 30 2008, 02:36 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Rick...or Glenn

This question is really a thread by itself, but the subject "Turkish Super Hero" raises my query.

Do either of you have Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's listing of decorations awarded up to the end of the war? If I recall correctly, he fought at a company grade officer during the 1912 Balkan War. Although he didn't lead any attacks personally, he was in exposed positions frequently in his role as a division commander, etc. I'm curious what actual valor or gallantry awards he acquired...the hard way.

Les

Hello,

I didn't like your sardonic way of calling Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who fought the war of Independence against all the western powers (for you: England,France,Italy,Greece, later date USA etc) and won and founded the secular Republic of Turkey.

You only mention Balkan war; what about the others in Benghazi, Irak ,Palestine, especially GALLIPOLI, Inonu wars, Independence war.

Actually I did not wanted to reply your quest in the beginning and thougt that it wouldn't worth to reply for a person with this attitude. But your knowledge of history is so poor that it may lead to some unwanted opinions. I suggest you read a history book about his achievements as a commander and as a statesman. At least you can goggle or use wikipedia.

But this gave me a good opportunity to supply the club members with the pictures and list of his medals and orders. (2 lists and 3 pictures will follow)

Demir ERMAN

LISTS:

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATURK'S MEDALS

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL SILVER)- (GUMUŞ İMTİYAZ MADALYASI - (top right in the picture) :

Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 30 April 1915 for his outstanding successes

as the Commander of the 19th. Division during Canakkale (Gallipoli) battle.

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL (GOLD)- (ALTIN IMTIYAZ MADALYASI) - (top left in the picture) :

Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 23 September1917 for his outstanding successes as the Commander of the 19th. Division during Canakkale (Gallipoli) battle.

• MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL SILVER)-(GUMUŞ LİYAKAT MADALYASI) (left bottom in the picture) :

Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 1 September 1915 for his outstanding

Successes during Canakkale (Gallipoli) battle.

• MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL (GOLD) - (ALTIN LİYAKAT MADALYASI) - (right bottom in the picture) :

Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 17 January 1916 for his outstanding

Successes during as Anafartalar Group Commander during the Canakkale battle.

• WAR MEDAL (HARP MADALYASI) : (2nd picture with the Orders)

Awarded by Sultan Mehmet VI on 11 May 1918 for his outstanding successes during the Dardanalles Campaign (Canakkale/Gallipoli)

• MEDAL of INDEPENDENCE (İSTİKLAL MADALYASI), (in the middle of the picture) :

Given by the Parliament on 21 November 1923 for his oustanding achievement during the War of Independence and winning the war against British, French, Italians and Greeks and declaring independence a founding the secular Republic of TURKEY.

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATURK'S AWARDS

This is a comprehensive list of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk's awards, (1881 - 10 November 1938), who was an army officer, revolutionary statesman, and founder of the Republic of Turkey as well as its first President. (ATATURK'UN NISAN ve MADALYALARI - 1986 Ankara and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk%27s_awards)

Orders, decorations and medals

Mecidi Order 5 th class

Osmani Order 4th class

Osmani Order 3rd class

Silver Imtiyaz Medal

Silver Liyakat Medal

Gold Liyakat Medal

Osmani Order 2nd class

Mecidi Order 2nd class

Gold Imtiyaz Madalyası

Mecidi Order with Crossed Sabers 1st class

War Medal (Harp Madalyasi)

War of Independence Medal (Istiklal Madalyasi)

FOREIGN AWARDS

Legion d'honneur
    France

For his successes as lieutenant colonel, while he was working for the Operational Section of the Mediterrenean Joint Forces Staff

Order of Saint Alexander (3rd Class/Commander)
    King Ferdinand of Bulgaria
    Achievements during the Battle of Gallipoli

1915&1917
    Iron Cross - German Empire

EK II 28.12.1915
    EKI 9.9.1917
    Achievements during the Battle of Gallipoli

1916&1917 - Austria/Hungary
    Military Merit Cross
    3rd class 27.7.1916

Military Merit Medal 2nd Class with War Decoration 9.9.1917

World War One achievements

Order of the Crown of Prussia, 1st class
    William II, German Emperor King of Prussia
    World War One achievements

Aliyul-ala Order - Kingdom of Afghanistan
    Amanullah Shah, King of Afghanistan

Murassa Order
    Turkish Aeronautical Association
    Establishment of TAA
    Platin

Silberne Verdienstkreus "in treu" am blau-veissen banden awarded by Schwarzb Kriegerkamaradaschaft

Edited by demir

Hello,

I didn't like your sardonic way of calling Mustafa Kemal Atat?rk who fought the war of Independence against all the western powers (for you: England,France,Italy,Greece, later date USA etc) and won and founded the secular Republic of Turkey.

You only mention Balkan war; what about the others in Benghazi, Irak ,Palestine, especially GALLIPOLI, In?n? wars, Independence war.

Actually I did not wanted to reply your quest in the beginning and thougt that it wouldn't worth to reply for a person with this attitude. But your knowledge of history is so poor that it may lead to some unwanted opinions. I suggest you read a history book about his achievements as a commander and as a statesmen. At least you can goggle or use wikipedia.

But this gave me a good opportunity to supply the club members with the pictures and list of his medals and orders. (2 lists and 3 pictures will follow)

Demir ERMAN

LISTS:

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATAT?RK'S MEDALS

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL SILVER)- (G?M?Ş İMTİYAZ MADALYASI - (top right in the picture) :
    Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 30 April 1915 for his outstanding successes

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL (GOLD)- (ALTIN İMTİYAZ MADALYASI) - (top left in the picture) :
    Awarded to him by the Sultan Resad V on 23 September1917 for his outstanding successes as the Commander of the 19th. Division during Canakkale (Gallipoli) battle.

• MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL SILVER)-(G?M?Ş LİYAKAT MADALYASI) (left bottom in the picture) :

• MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL (GOLD) - (ALTIN LİYAKAT MADALYASI) - (right bottom in the picture) :

Awarded by Sultan Mehmet VI on 11 May 1918 for his outstanding successes during the Dardanalles Campaign (Canakkale/Gallipoli)

• MEDAL of INDEPENDENCE (İSTİKLAL MADALYASI)?(in the middle of the picture) :
    Given by the Parliament on 21 November 1923 for his oustanding achievement during the War of Independence and winning the war against British, French, Italians and Greeks and declaring independence a founding the secular Republic of TURKEY.

Hello,

I didn't like your sardonic way of calling Mustafa Kemal Atat?rk who fought the war of Independence against all the western powers (for you: England,France,Italy,Greece, later date USA etc) and won and founded the secular Republic of Turkey.

You only mention Balkan war; what about the others in Benghazi, Irak ,Palestine, especially GALLIPOLI, In?n? wars, Independence war.

Actually I did not wanted to reply your quest in the beginning and thougt that it wouldn't worth to reply for a person with this attitude. But your knowledge of history is so poor that it may lead to some unwanted opinions. I suggest you read a history book about his achievements as a commander and as a statesmen. At least you can goggle or use wikipedia.

Demir ERMAN

LISTS:

MUSTAFA KEMAL ATAT?RK'S MEDALS

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL SILVER)- (G?M?Ş İMTİYAZ MADALYASI - (top right in the picture) :

• DISTINGUISHED COMBAT MEDAL (GOLD)- (ALTIN İMTİYAZ MADALYASI) - (top left in the picture) :

• MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL SILVER)-(G?M?Ş LİYAKAT MADALYASI) (left bottom in the picture) :

• MEDAL of INDEPENDENCE (İSTİKLAL MADALYASI)?(in the middle of the picture) :

Hello,

Demir ERMAN

Demir,

Thank you for the reply, and....the "comments."

No "sardonic" attitude was meant on my part, other than trying to make a clear distinction between bravery awards awarded for personal bravery on the battlefield at the risk of being killed in combat, and awards often given to generals and political types for being the overall commander of an attack while setting in a safer position than the troops being shot at.

I've never doubted Ataturk's personal bravery, and his actions at Gallipolli in April 1915 (or earlier) , need no defense from anyone.

When I asked for a list of his gallantry awards, it's because places like Wikipedia are often prone to errors. I prefer getting "facts" from traditional sources and publications that can be verified and the sources checked, rather than internet postings that often have little or no way to verify where the information came from. Asking Rick, or Glenn for information, as anyone on this forum can tell you, usually results in rock solid factual information.

I suspect the "attitude" you speak about is purely one-sided.

Les

Dear Demir ,

Thank you very much for your rightful answer and nice information for the

Les's scornful question against our real " Super Hero ! " , first president and

foundr of our republic , Musatafa Kemal ATATURK .

This is not a political website , I do not want to extend the converstion but ,

As Mr.Demir mentioned , Ataturk wrote a new history for the world , especially

in the 1st and 2nd Inonu Wars , Gallipoli war and our Independence war.

He was always inside the battle together with our Grandfathers even Grandmothers...

He was shot during the Gallipoli war, on the Conk foothill in Gallipoli.

I also wish to add some more pictures of his Orders and Medals whish Mr.Demir

already mentioned.

Regards,

AVSAR IBAR

1 - He got his Silver Liyakat Medal on 1st September 1915 by Sultan Mehmed Resad while he was the comander of ANAFARTALAR.

2 - He got his Gold Liyakat Medal on 17 January 1916 by Sultan Mehmed Resad.

3 - He got his Silver Imtiyaz Medal on 30 April 1915 while he was 19th Division Commander.

4 - He got his Gold Imtiyaz Medal on 23 September 1917 By Sultan Resad.

5 - He got his 1st Class Medjidie Order with Sabers on 16 December 1917 because of his eclat.

6 - He got his 2nd Class Osmanie Order with Sabers on 1st Feburary 1916 because of his extreme

success on Caucasian front line battles.

7 - He got his Gallipoli Star , (War Medal) 11 May 1918 by Sultan Reshad , it was written on the back of his TWM , "Sr. Exc. M.K.P." (Mustafa Kemal Pasha) , and an interesting detail for forum members , it was J.H. Werner Berlin !

8 - He got his Independence war Medal , on 21 November 1923 ,by T.B.M.M. ( NATIONAL ASSEMBLY) BECAUSE HE SAVES ALL OF US , ALL THE TURKS on Rebuplic War.

As Mr.Demir Mentioned he had many more medals and orders ...

Great thread, thank you Gentlemen!

7 - He got his Gallipoli Star , (War Medal) 11 May 1918 by Sultan Reshad , it was written on the back of his TWM , "Sr. Exc. M.K.P." (Mustafa Kemal Pasha) , and an interesting detail for forum members , it was J.H. Werner Berlin !

Are you sure that one was given to him by Reshad? Not only the German maker, but the writing is a German dedication, too! "Sr. Exc." is "Seiner Excellenz", which means "To His Excellence". I'd assume it was rather given to him by a German. Impossible? By the way, are we talking about that legendary supersized OWM?

The term "Turkish Superhero" isn't mine. Please see this thread started by one of the Forum's moderators:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31812

My post was originally placed here, and then moved by someone on the Forum with the authority and power to do so. I did not come up with the term that two fellow forum members seem to think is mine, and was meant with scorn. If they have a problem...take it up with the person who did use it.

Generals and politicans in uniform are often seen wearing medals. My question is, and was, what actual bravery awards did Ataturk received for actions in which he risked being directly killed or wounded in combat? Awards given for leadership, are not the same as those received for actions when -your- own life is at risk while in range of enemy weapons.

Asking that question is -not- political, although in some parts of the world, daring to ask "what did Fearless Leader" do, could get you jailed, executed, deported, or something of the sort.

I know Ataturk served in combat, and personally led small units at the risk of losing his life. What I want(ed) to know, is what bravery or gallantry awards reflect that. His awards received while a division commander or higher up, are not the same as those given to enlisted men, company level officers, and probably held little personal risk of bodily harm to himself.

If our Turkish friends think that's being political, perhaps that's a cultural and political differences indicative of thinner political skins. For example...

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/0...lts-to-ataturk/

Les

Edited by Les

Hi Avsar and Demir,

That is a very interesting observation about the Gallipoli Star - being a High Quality version rather than the standard issue type. I note one of our readers asked (on our other thread about the war medal) was it possible that this high status receivers got high quality "private purchase" versions of the award? And your research on the War Hero Musatafa Kemal ATATURK indicates this could happen:

"He got his Gallipoli Star , (War Medal) 11 May 1918 by Sultan Reshad , it was written on the back of his TWM , "Sr. Exc. M.K.P." (Mustafa Kemal Pasha) , and an interesting detail for forum members , it was J.H. Werner Berlin !"

Regards JJ

Hello JJ,

I am posting 2 pictures of Atat?rk. In these pictures he was wearing a War Medal other then J.H.W. !

I am sure that high status receivers did not get high quality "private purchase" versions of the award, everybody was awarded the official version, but later everybody have chosen the one they like. It was nice to present him a copy of J.H Werner.

In the first picture he was sitting: in Halep (now Syria) dated 1917 while he was the Commander of the 7th Army under the Thunder Army Groups. (Although in the Atat?rk's Moseleum Museum the explanation under the Medal says that the medal awarded by the Sultan on 11.5.1918 OFFICIALLY :banger: )

The 2nd picture standing: while he was the Commander of the Thunder Army Groups (Turkish: Yıldırım Orduları Gurubu), replacing Liman von Sanders in Sinai and Palestine Campaign dated 1918.

But as Mr. Avşar İbar says he has a J.H. Weber also ( A better looking medal comparing the others) but in these pictures he was wearing a normal TWM.

note: For belt buckle collectors please check his buckle (picture below) :lol:

Best wishes :beer:

Demir ERMAN

• 11 years later...
    On 31/10/2008 at 00:32, saschaw said:

Great thread, thank you Gentlemen!

Are you sure that one was given to him by Reshad? Not only the German maker, but the writing is a German dedication, too! "Sr. Exc." iSeiner Excellenzs "", which means "To His Excellence". I'd assume it was rather given to him by a German. Impossible? By the way, are we talking about that legendary supersized OWM?

I think it is given by the company J.H.Werner - Berlin

Regards

Demir

Here are Mustafa Kemal Pasha's awards (Similar ones)

1. R. Kılıçlı Mecidi Nişanı.jpg

2 KUK-WW1-AUSTRIA-MILITARY-MERIT-CROSS-2nd-CLASS.jpg.jpg

2. R. Mecidi Nişanı.jpg

2.derce osmani nişan.jpg

3 KUK-WW1-AUSTRIA-MILITARY-MERIT-CROSS-3rd-CLASS.jpg

3. Osmani.jpg

4. Osmani.jpg

5. Mecidi.jpg

Alüyülala Afghan.jpg

Ata.jpg

ataturk istiklal.jpg

Büyük İmtiyaz Madalyası -  Altın.jpg

Commander Grand Cross Order of Saint Alexander.jpg

EKI.jpg

EKII.jpg

Harp Madalyası  - Werner yapımı.jpg

İmtiyaz Madalyası Gümüş.jpg

İstiklal (Independence)Madalyası.jpg

Kemal_Paşa_(c._1918).jpg

Légion d'Honneur .jpg

Liyakat Madalyası -Altın.jpg

Liyakat Madalyası -Gümüş.jpg

Order_of_Merit_of_the_Prussian_Crown_grand_cross_with_swords_(Prussia_1906-1917)_-_Tallinn_Museum_of_Orders1.jpg