News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was torn between #47 and #49, but it was #49 I had my eye on. I thought that one was a beauty. Three german states represented and two enameled awards from central power's countries -very nice. :jumping: Ultimately however my resources were divided elsewhere and insufficient for the win.

Anyone from this forum get #49? That Oldenburg cross made it even rarer. And maybe identifiable?

25 year cross, but no other early medals? :unsure:

Hi Claudius,

I also first wanted to bid on # 49, but after discussing it with a fellow forumites, I thought that the Oldenburg Ehrenkreuz with swords could have been replaced... these are quite faked, since they are easy to make (or easier than the enameled orders) and are so rare. I think that very likely in its place there was the Household order of Oldenburg, maybe a RK 1st or 2nd class. The all combination with the Ehrenkreuz didn't really make sense... but apart from that it was quite an interesting Godet bar. I would have like to see that bar personally, but from the picture you can tell that the Ehrenkreuz is attached looser than the other medals. This particular is even more strange if considered that Godet bars are always put together very precisely.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hello Claudio;

You make some excellent points. If indeed the Oldenburg Ehrenkreuz was replaced where a house order was, then someone was REALLY trying to change a rare ordensspange into a scare ordensspange. I would have thought the house order would have been enough to garner a high hammer price. I don't like to think that someone would remove an attractive and valuable order like the Peter Fredrick Ludwig Order just to "amaze" everyone with a rarer non-enameled cross.

I agree with your thought regarding Godet bars and their tight medal attachment. The Oldenburg was looser just by how it hid behind another medal.

Is there a way to research this bar "as presented" and one with the PFL order instead of the Ehrenkreuz? If successful, that may shed some light on this question.

Thank you for your insights! I always learn something from your feedback.

We did bid on #49 but didn't win it. I didn't like the Oldenburg Ehrenkreuz neither. C. Zeige has a lose one in auction, stating there were only 12 awarded. Twelve ever awarded, and two in one month at two auctions? No way! Still it was a great bar. Impossible the proper Oldenburg decoration might have been a (slightly misplaced) Friedrich August-Kreuz? By the way, the golden honour cross X is a NCO award, isn't it?!

Hi Claudius,

I also first wanted to bid on # 49, but after discussing it with a fellow forumites, I thought that the Oldenburg Ehrenkreuz with swords could have been replaced... these are quite faked, since they are easy to make (or easier than the enameled orders) and are so rare. I think that very likely in its place there was the Household order of Oldenburg, maybe a RK 1st or 2nd class. The all combination with the Ehrenkreuz didn't really make sense... but apart from that it was quite an interesting Godet bar. I would have like to see that bar personally, but from the picture you can tell that the Ehrenkreuz is attached looser than the other medals. This particular is even more strange if considered that Godet bars are always put together very precisely.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hello,

for me it is clear, that the Ehrenkreuz with swords has been replaced. The bar is an officer?s bar, but the Ehrenkreuz was never given to an officer. I suppose, there was a RK 1st or 2nd class before.

Regards

Kapitular