News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Member badge - Imperial Aero and Model Fliers

Hello all ..

I collect DLV, NSFK, HJ items pertaining to building and flying model airplanes, model airplane clubs and competitions.. Finding authentic items in this area is tough, so I have to grab whatever I can find.

I spotted this badge on a major dealer's site, he claims it is rare and authentic. Here is part of his description: Member badge imperial aero and model fliers of the association in the representation similarly the imperial flier badges.

I cannot find anything in my reference materials so I wrote the seller and he said he didn't have anything other than some document and he was being quite vague.

If anybody happens to know if the description is accurate or has actual reference material about this badge, I'd sure appreciate a little help.

All the best ..

Mike W.

Edited by Gunther Beckmann

Hi Mike the badges German name is Deutscher Modell und Segelflugverband. I have seen this badge on Weitzes site and clearly it is a conversion of a WW1 observer badge to one of the above badges. I am sure it is a contemporary alteration as it is done quite crudely and fools no one as to what it was. Whatever the reason (maybe the guy could not afford to buy an official badge so altered his WW1 flyers badge!) it is an interesting item. I attach a picture of an official one ,silver grade ,there was a gols grade too.Ferg1.

001-4.jpg

002-6.jpg

Thank you Ferg1 ..

I greatly appreciate the information. Once you see an original, it is obvious that Weitze's badge is a put together, or should I say throw together. What a shame, he is asking for over a thousand dollars for his.. Your badge is a beauty, to be sure. I'd love to have it. Model airplane items are real hard to find. Again thanks for the help..

All the best ..

Mike W.

Hi Mike the badges German name is Deutscher Modell und Segelflugverband. I have seen this badge on Weitzes site and clearly it is a conversion of a WW1 observer badge to one of the above badges. I am sure it is a contemporary alteration as it is done quite crudely and fools no one as to what it was. Whatever the reason (maybe the guy could not afford to buy an official badge so altered his WW1 flyers badge!) it is an interesting item. I attach a picture of an official one ,silver grade ,there was a gols grade too.Ferg1.

The wings and prop are the same on both examples. Converting an observers badge required having the wings/prop device in order to make the modified badge shown here.

Let me propose another possibility. The wings/prop may have broken off an original and the wreath lost. It's possible that someone at a much later date acquired the wing/prop part, but not the original wreath. It doesn't take rocket science for someone who wants to jack up the price of a broken item, to "covert" it to something more expensive by making it look like something else, and then suggest it's a "rare" example. Never understimate the power of greed and profit motives leading to someone cutting up a relatively common observers badge, in order to make (and sell) something at a much higher price.

When these types of badges were still being made and worn, they weren't all that expensive, and for a few marks, they could be ordered through catalogues, etc.

I'm not so sure the item is a period modification/conversion at all. Then there's the matter of whether you trust the source.... :unsure:

Les

The wings and prop are the same on both examples. Converting an observers badge required having the wings/prop device in order to make the modified badge shown here.

Let me propose another possibility. The wings/prop may have broken off an original and the wreath lost. It's possible that someone at a much later date acquired the wing/prop part, but not the original wreath. It doesn't take rocket science for someone who wants to jack up the price of a broken item, to "covert" it to something more expensive by making it look like something else, and then suggest it's a "rare" example. Never understimate the power of greed and profit motives leading to someone cutting up a relatively common observers badge, in order to make (and sell) something at a much higher price.

When these types of badges were still being made and worn, they weren't all that expensive, and for a few marks, they could be ordered through catalogues, etc.

I'm not so sure the item is a period modification/conversion at all. Then there's the matter of whether you trust the source.... :unsure:

Les

The badge realy looks like a cut out observer badge dousn't matter who made this one.

Regards

Alex

The badge realy looks like a cut out observer badge dousn't matter who made this one.

Regards

Alex

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it not mattering who made it. There would be some value to a piece made before 1945, but none to one made after that.

The fact is, someone could have made this at -anytime-, not necessarily during the period when these were worn.

Mike...true the wings/prop device aren't exactly the same, but whoever attached it to the wreath, didn't make and enamel the wings/prop part. He got it from somewhere else and put two things together, at some unknown date.

Some of the repro/fake observer badges look close to the originals, and with the center cut out, it's harder to tell the difference between whether a fake or original badge was used.

In short, it's been put together. When is anyone's guess. If it's not the same as the known factory made ones, then it's not worth spending money on. Either it stands on it's own merits, or it doesn't. If it requires a story to make it interesting, then give it a pass. Don't be tempted by what you think might be a "rare" variation that could have been made 70 years ago, or yesterday in the backroom of some dealer's shop. If you can't proove when it was made think again.

Les

Les