News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A new Param Vir Chakra

Ulsterman

Grenadier Y.S. Yadov of the 18th Grenadier Regiment received India's highest Honor last fall. He was only 18 and managed to live to tell the tale.

Reading how he earned it made my hair stand on end.

Congratulations Grenadier Yadov!

Image courtesy of the Indian MOD website.

Really?? The website said "last Fall".

It needs to be updated then.

Is there a book on the PVC winners at all?

Where did you meet him? Do you have photos? Do tell- :Cat-Scratch:

Edited by Ulsterman

Well . . . a recent book on post-1947 Indian medals lists them all with references to the proper Gazette notification.

2690572 Grenadier Yogendra Singh Yadav, 18th Grenadiers ? 4 July 1999 ? Tiger Hill, Kargil area, Jammu and Kashmir, India ? No.16-Pres./2000 of 15 August 1999 [sic]

For the awards, the book by S. S. Gandhi, Portraits of Valour: India's Hioghest Gallantry Awards and Their Recipients , 3rd ed. (Delhi: 2006) is good, but not great. For some reason he insists on rewriting (and, sometimes, making even more garbled) the notifications.

On Yadav, see: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/HEROISM/Yadav.html

My PVC web pages are now gone, alas.

The text that was on my website:

2690572 Grenadier Yogendra Singh Yadav, 18th Grenadiers

Date of Action: 4 July 1999

Place of Action: Tiger Hill, Kargil area, Jammu and Kashmir, India

Date and Place of Birth: 10 May 1980; Aurangabad Ahir, District Bulandshahar, Uttar Pradesh; father Sh. Ram Karan Singh; Hindu

Enrolled: 27 December 1996

CITATION

On night of 03/04 July 99, Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav was part of the Ghatak Platoon tasked to capture three bunkers on Tiger Hill.

Volunteering to lead the assault, Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav was scaling the vertical cliff face, when the enemy opened up with automatic fire. He continued to scale the cliff through a volley of fire. In spite of being hit by three bullets in his groin and shoulder, displaying super human strength and resolve, reached the top. He then crawled up and lobbed a grenade into the first bunker, killing four enemy soldiers. Yet again, he charged the second bunker with his colleagues and in fierce hand to hand combat, killed three Pakistani soldiers.

For his sustained display of the most conspicuous personal bravery and gallantry of the highest order in the face of the enemy, Grenadier Yogender Singh Yadav has been awarded the Param Vir Chakra.

[Grenadier Yadav, originally, believed to have been killed in this engagement, and the PVC citation given above reflects a later redrafting to reflect this realization of his survival. He was later discovered recuperating from his wounds in an army hospital.]

Hmmmmm...sounds like a worthwhile OMSA website project if one was bored (and retired).

The recent book sounds exciting. I believe (hope) my copy is in Santa's bag hidden in my wife's closet somewhere.

A recent photo of a Peacekeeper in the Congo 5 days ago. India has a long tradition of peacekeeping in Africa. Worthy of a book I reckon.

While it isn't especially good (and I know a better one is in the works) The Indian Army: United Nations Peacekeeping Operations (Delhi: 1997) isn't half bad. We tried to include the UN medals (and services) in our book too (ch. 3, pp. 174-211).

I note that in some instances ribbon bars are worn "on campaign". Interesting, although I may be seeing photos of police and paramilitary units with them.

Do you know if the Indian soldiers wear ribbon bars in combat?

Usually not in combat, but on combat dress, yes. It is a different order of dress. They are often worn while on UN deployments (except the really messy ones), and that is intentional.

And the paramilitary and police types do whatever they wish, with no reference to anyone or any standards (and in far more important areas than ribbon bars).

Edited by Ed_Haynes