News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Do you know this afghan medal ?

Bison

A friend of mine get this medal :

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-2068-1226001349.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-2068-1226001331.jpg

Could you give any information about it?

I assume it is a pre-soviet period medal... but that's all.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Bison

Hi!

There is inscription in Pashto on the obverse: "yadawanay medal" (remembrance medal).

Could you give us the better scan of the reverse to read that it says?

Regards, IVB.

Edited by IVB

There is inscription in Pashto on the obverse: "yadawanay medal" (remembrance medal).

Could you give us the better scan of the reverse to read that it says?

Thank you IVB. Is this better?

Do you have any idea of the period?

Regards

Bison

Hello, James!

This star is shown here http://www.najafcoins.com/Wor_Med_Ord_ABC.htm with description:

Afghanistan H.I.M King Habibullah Khan Gold and old Mine-cut diamonds Order of Sardar, Special Class, Made specially for the King and later on was also worn by Ammanullah Khan. The order is complete with Spink made case.

May be Order of the Leader?

Thanks IVB, I think you may be right.

The Nishan-i-Sardari and Order of the Leader are the same. Perhaps this is the type I breast star of the first class of the order, which carried the title of Sardar-i-Aala for the recipient. [The second class recipients were Sardar-i-Ali].

The Nishan-i-Sardari insignia were later quite elaborate and included, for the first class: breast star, pendant badge, aigrette and robe.

I suppose the seller is trying to 'over egg the pudding' to clinch a sale, but this same insignia (including the diamonds) is seen in several pictures of the Royal princes and leading Sardars, not just Kings Habibullah and Amanullah. My speciality is Royal pictures and I have some of Inayatullah, Nasrullah and Nadir Khan (long before he became King) wearing the same star between the Orders of the Sun or Almar and the Order of the Star or Astour.

Cheers,

James

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle on the obverse of the medal is like on this 2 Afghani coin issued in 1961:

I have also information that the last word in the bottom of the reverse may be "tolwaal", meaning society or nation or even country.

د افغانستان هوریت

Da Afġānistān Jomhoriyat - Republic of Afghanistan.

What means thugra, I don't know.

Regards, IVB.

IVB,

Where does the above inscription come from?

Is it on the obverse?

1) It is obviously not the same as the inscription below the tugra on the medal pictured in the post.

2) Such an inscription as the one you have given is unlikely to appear alongside a Royal tugra.

Cheers,

James

Hello, James!

د افغانستان هوریت

I've noted that inscription on the reverse (in the bottom) is almost similar with official name of the country in Pashto http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%84%...%82%D0%B0%D0%BD (Russian version). In English version of Wikipedia article it looks: د افغانستان اسلامي جمهوریت (De Afġānistān Islāmī Jomhoriyat).

Peoples that can read Pashto answered me for my request about translation words on the medal:

" The one on the left reads "de yadawanay medal" meaning "remembrance medal". The right one reads "da Afghanistan something" but its rather illegible. "

With better photo:

" We regarded the photo at length but couldn't exactly decipher the words. There seem to be extra dots and grooves which make it confusing. The educated guess is "tolwaal" (last word), meaning society or nation or even country. "

So, period of issue is exactly unknown.

I have two versions:

1. Thugra of the King means that medal from times of his reign;

2. or it may be commemorative medal of modern issue, dedicated to something related to King. (His return from exile?)

Anybody know what does eagle symbolize?

Hello, James!

د افغانستان هوریت

I've noted that inscription on the reverse (in the bottom) is almost similar with official name of the country in Pashto http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%84%...%82%D0%B0%D0%BD (Russian version). In English version of Wikipedia article it looks: د افغانستان اسلامي جمهوریت (De Afġānistān Islāmī Jomhoriyat).

Peoples that can read Pashto answered me for my request about translation words on the medal:

" The one on the left reads "de yadawanay medal" meaning "remembrance medal". The right one reads "da Afghanistan something" but its rather illegible. "

With better photo:

" We regarded the photo at length but couldn't exactly decipher the words. There seem to be extra dots and grooves which make it confusing. The educated guess is "tolwaal" (last word), meaning society or nation or even country. "

Ah, but one has to be very careful of those extra dots and lines. They can make all the difference.

A single dot can make an Ahmad into a Muhammad, or vice versa.

• 4 months later...