News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Ribbons....

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me out with this, basically what I`m trying to find out is, when did WW2 medal ribbons (not the medals) start appearing on British soldiers battledress. Example, would a guy involved at Dunkirk and say North Africa, be wearing his the relevenant medal ribbons, on his tunic, when he landed at Normandy?

I am not 100% certain, but IIRC it was a case of wearing either the 1939-43 star OR Africa star during late 43 to 45 period. I think this might have been in BL Davis book?

ttfn

Matt

As I recall, the initial proposal had been for one, but later both were allowed (and by "later" I mean before 1944/45). Let me check notes from the Archives.

What book by Davis?

What book by Davis?

Most likely British Army Uniforms and Insignia of WW2

A number of pix do show the Africa Star ribbon being worn (with 8th Army)

device in 1944

As far as I can see there are no other ribbons of stars being worn . . . at least not clearly shown

-->edited due to a spellign boo boo<--

Edited by David S

There is a letter written to a local newspaper in Harrogate in the spring of 1944 [i shall retireve the date later] where a servicemans wife writes in to ask if her family has a record, all 3 men wearing the ribbon of the 1939-43 star. I submit therefore that it was being issued at that time. They were all in the RAF as Harrogate had a good number of displaced offices here where the large Hotels were taken over by the services evacuated from London. Its possible that the local CO had presided over an issue of them to qualifying personnel at Christmas since the timing is right, but I am uncertain.

I'm off to get a copy of the article because its available on microfiche, I read it a while ago.

[Just for Ed I might add a pic of Churchill visiting in 1944 with adoring crowds ;) ]

Regards

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I have found a colour still from a 16mm cine film I have taken in 1944 showing a 1939 - 43 star ribbon being worn in a group of medals by an officer. When I get chance to reduce the file size and crop it down I shall have a shot at posting it, but just wanted to let you know I found it.