News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My French Medal Collection

Riley1965

Hello DOC

Thank you for sharing!

Some additional information:

- The academic palms you show are not exactly "Palmes Acad?miques", this term appears only in 1952 with a different medal. Yours is an "Officier d'Acad?mie", dated approx around the 1870s. Therefore it is not a 3rd class one, because this award has been transformed into Order only in 1952. Before this date there were just "Officier d'Acad?mie" (like yours) and "officier d'Universit?" (with a rosette).

Here is the current "Palmes Acad?mique" order, 3rd Class :

- The medal "des postes et t?l?communications" is a Type 2 (1902 - 1984). The first types 2 wear the mention "postes et t?l?graphes"

- The "m?daille de la R?sistance" is a model with rosette, which was scarcely awarded.

Waiting for your other pics :jumping:

Bison

Ordre Du Merite Agricole (1883)

Order of Agricultural Merit (1883)

CHEVALIER GRADE

This order was established by decree on 7 July 1883. It was awarded for exceptional services to agriculture and its development. The Minister of Agriculture Meline created this Order. It is a six pointed star with a round center with the head of the Republic surrounded by blue enamel with "Republique Francaise" around the center. The reverse has the words in the center circle "Merite agricole 1883" surrounded by blue enamel. There are three Classes for this Order.

CHEVALIER- Medal is silver. Ther was a requirement that the recipient be at least 30 years old.

OFFICER- Created on 18 june 1887. It has a gold wreath and suspension wreath.

COMMANDER- The medal was larger with a gold wreath and a larger gold suspension. It was worn from a neck ribbon. a period of 10 years was required to be promoted from Chevalier to Officer and Officer to commander. This Order is managed by the Minister of agriculture.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Very nice model! It looks to be old. This Order was the first of a long series managed by Ministries. The majority of them were suppressed in 1963, but the M?rite Agricole, Palmes acad?miques, Ordre des Arts et Lettres and M?rite Maritime.

From 1883 to nowadays, a lot of manufacturers made it and we can find many different models. For sure the oldest are the goodest like yours !

Two of mine to illustrate some differences:

Thanks again for sharing :beer:

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Expedition Du Mexique 1862-1865

:jumping: It's amazing what you will find when you go to the bank to get documents out of your lock box. :jumping: I found this and a couple Soviet Orders. I looked on the ribbon charts and could not find this medal. So, Please help me with the correct name.

Expedition Du Mexique 1862-1865

:jumping: It's amazing what you will find when you go to the bank to get documents out of your lock box. :jumping: I found this and a couple Soviet Orders. I looked on the ribbon charts and could not find this medal. So, Please help me with the correct name.

It's the French Mexican Campaign medal on the incorrect ribbon. The proper ribbon is whtie with a beautiful eagle and I think the colors of Mexico....

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/foreigngu..._medal_1862.htm