News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown RFC New Zealand pilot

Greetings,

I wonder if any of you can help identify the pilot in the photo. It appears his uniform is that of the 6th Manawatu Mounted Rifles -but he does have RFC wings. Unfortunately here in New Zeland the archives are all based around the person's name -which is precisely what I am trying to find out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a high probability that this is a 2nd Lt. Cuthbert Dallas Grant Taylor who was promoted from Corporal to Temp 2nd Lt. in January 1918 with a further promotion(?) to Flying Officer in February of the same year.

Can anyone advise me how to find out more about him, eg. did he survive the war, what unit he served in, etc.?

Thanks.

• 6 years later...

This is not Cuthbert Dallas Grant Taylor. He did survive the war, discharged 1919 and lived in Auckland, New Zealand working at least until 1928 as an Accountant. He drops out of electoral rolls after that. The family does have him shrouded somewhat in mystery and romantic stories but little that isn't anecdotal. He was however a well  loved Gt Uncle to our family. I have attached the only photo we have of Dallas (as he was known)

dallas grant taylor.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Back to Square One!  However I have already dug out your Gt Uncle's war service records if you are interested and haven't done so yourself.

Incidentally, one of the records shows that that his return NZ address was Te Aroha, which was the same location of Major "Grid" Caldwell, NZ's top scoring fighter ace (25 victories): would your Gt Uncle have  mentioned him by any chance?

I have his NZEF records and just this morning retrieved his RFC record from Find My Past. Thanks for the Te Aroha info, was not aware of that.
    We had such stories told to us as kids of his escapades which would seem are not of his exploits but perhaps of Major Hector Grant-Taylor. Sad for us because we thought him a legend. That feeling will however never go away and he looks as though he had a good deal of mischief in him (as did his brother, my grandfather, Errol. Errol incidently also fought in the war and another brother Alan Gordon Grant Taylor lost his life in WW1). I am attaching a quick bio which includes his army timeline, have not updated from RFC/RAF records. Still will keep scratching to find more. 

taylor, dallas bio.docx

• 3 months later...

The portrait of the 6th Manawatu officer is on display at Sir Peter Jacksons Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. As I recall, the information about this officer was displayed with his photo. I'm sure if it's not, a list of those that served with the Manawatu Mounted Rifle may reveal his identity. The RNZAF museum at Wigram Air Force Base in Christchurch may know who he is as well.

Its a fantastic photo showing a combination of non regulation uniform items.

Cheers

Mike

Actually it no longer is as that area has been displaced and is now used to display the Central Powers' memorabilia.  How do I know this? I'm a guide there and started this hunt in the first place! I had been in contact with the Manawatu Mounted Rifles people who suggested that C.D. G. Taylor was the only person they could find who transferred to the RFC. So it now seems someone else did.  But, WHO?