News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help translating japanese document

militaria0815

• 4 weeks later...

OK, finally back in London after visiting the Land of the Rising Yen. The certificate here was awarded on 1st April 1906 (Meiji 39) and it is for a 6th class Order of the Rising Sun. I would need to dig out my kanji dictionaries to work out the name of the recipient but what is interesting is that his name is not preceeded by any indications of rank or office. The 1st April 1906 was the date when the mass of awards were given out for the Russo Japanese War.

The fact that he has no titles or previous awards indicated, as well as no official ranks or job titles, suggests that this is his first medal and he may be a member of the Japanese Red Cross. Even schoolteachers had their job mentioned on the certificate, the only people I have come across so far from the Meiji period with no job title is Red Cross volunteers.

A nice certificate but unfortunately impossible to research on its own.

OK, finally back in London after visiting the Land of the Rising Yen. The certificate here was awarded on 1st April 1906 (Meiji 39) and it is for a 6th class Order of the Rising Sun. I would need to dig out my kanji dictionaries to work out the name of the recipient but what is interesting is that his name is not preceeded by any indications of rank or office. The 1st April 1906 was the date when the mass of awards were given out for the Russo Japanese War.

The fact that he has no titles or previous awards indicated, as well as no official ranks or job titles, suggests that this is his first medal and he may be a member of the Japanese Red Cross. Even schoolteachers had their job mentioned on the certificate, the only people I have come across so far from the Meiji period with no job title is Red Cross volunteers.

A nice certificate but unfortunately impossible to research on its own.

Paul, great and helpfull information, thank you very much and happy Xmas!!