News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: SPLENDID portrait!!!! :jumping: LOVE the whiskers and the indication from the knuckle guard on his IOD 89 that he had a super deluxe infantry officers sword!!!

Maximilian Fehringer

born Stavenhagen 19 September 1870

in 1909 Leutnant der Landwehr and

"Turnwart" (gymnastics instructor) at the prestigious Friedrichs Realgymnasium in Berlin:

Above from the 1908/09 German Orders Almanac (Paul's CD version)-- and never gladder for a Nothing-But-An-LD2-entry!

He survived the war, so the online Berlin city directories should track him out for a good part of his lifespan.

:cheers:

Joe,

indeed a splendid portrait. Herr Fehringer was in fact never a reserve officer being commissioned directly into the Landwehr 1st Levy on the books of Landwehrbezirk I Berlin.

Leutnant d.L.: 16.12.02 O

Oberleutnant d.L.: 27.1 12

Hauptmann d.L.: 27.1.15 whilst serving in Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 7

Regards

Glenn

Thank you gentlemen for your kind responses. They were certainly quick!

being commissioned directly into the Landwehr

Glenn I am a bit confused about how he did this. What was his source of commissioning? As he was an instructor did he get some sort of gong because he had an Abitur? Is it possible to tell from all of your records?

As you both know I'm not very much of a medal guy but what is that award on his left breast? Thank you both again!

Thank you gentlemen for your kind responses. They were certainly quick!

Glenn I am a bit confused about how he did this. What was his source of commissioning? As he was an instructor did he get some sort of gong because he had an Abitur? Is it possible to tell from all of your records?

As you both know I'm not very much of a medal guy but what is that award on his left breast? Thank you both again!

Joe,

as Rick states, he was born in 1870 so he was already relatively senior in age (32) when commissioned. That being the case he was already old enough to commission directly into the Landwehr. His commissioning was gazetted in the 17 December issue of the Milit?r-Wochenblatt (No 111 , Wednesday) of 1902.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Guest Rick Research

He's wearing the "LD1"-- Prussian Reserve-Landwehr XX Years Service Cross. His 1914 Rank List entry (again, Paul's CD version, which saves wear and tear on originals)

When he had the lower "LD2" it was the old pinback brooch version. That was awarded for a weird combination of variously counted time... but the LD1 was a straightforward 20 calendar years of time in award.

Guest Rick Research

I hopped around in the Berlin online city directories

http://adressbuch.zlb.de/

He wasn't listed in the final edition of 1943, or 1935. Here he was in 1925 as a "City Gymnastics Instructor"--

so he either died between 1925 and 1934 or retired away somewhere.

All it takes is the references at hand.

Welllllllll.... that AND a beautifully written dedication with a literally unique name. :catjava:

:cheers:

• 3 years later...

In case anyone is still interested, some additional information on Herr Fehringer:

Maximilian Emil Hugo Fehringer

born 19 September 1870 in Stavenhagen, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, as Rick noted. He retired on 1 October 1932, so that's why he disappeared from Rick's city directories.

His initial military service was as a Einjährig-Freiwilliger in 4. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß from 1.10.1893-30.9.1894. He was promoted to Unteroffizier on 4.7.1894 and Vizefeldwebel on 24.5.1895. Glenn gave his officer promotions, but I can add that he was characterized as a Maj.d.L.a.D. on 30.12.22.

Decorations:

• Prussia: 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class

• Prussia: 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class

• Prussia: House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight's Cross with Swords

• Prussia: Landwehr-DA 1.Klasse

• Mecklenburg-Schwerin: Military Merit Cross 2nd Class

• Mecklenburg-Schwerin: Military Merit Cross 1st Class

• Austria-Hungary: Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration

• Germany: Wound Badge in Black (wounded in August 1914 as an OLt.d.L., 5./RIR 7)

His HOH3X was gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt on 21 November 1917.

Regards