News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I wonder if I should remove the loop on the top or if I should leave it? Theoritically she could of had it put on, but maybe it was a later owner ?

Since it will be hidden by the ribbon (granted it will bulge a bit) I'd leave it. It might not be original to the piece, but it is part of its history.

Edited by Michael Johnson

I wonder if I should remove the loop on the top or if I should leave it? Theoritically she could of had it put on, but maybe it was a later owner ?

Don't muck about with it, if she did it I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

Who else would put the hook on?

Tony

Chris,

I'd leave it as it is. If you display the medal like the rest you have, the loop probably wouldn't be apparent as the ribbon would hide it.

Just a thought from someone who learned not to "improve" things by trying to return them to their original state (the hard way).

David

It seems fairly certain that this loop was added in an act of transforming the medal into a North African necklace and would not have been original to the recipient. This is commonly seen in South and West Asia as well. Personally, I'd lose scant sleep by removing the loop.

Everyuthing indicates that this would have been eher entire entitlement. And, despite what has been implied earlier, I'd be fair;ly sure she would not have qualified for a Belgian victory medal.

Chris,

I'd leave it as it is. If you display the medal like the rest you have, the loop probably wouldn't be apparent as the ribbon would hide it.

Just a thought from someone who learned not to "improve" things by trying to return them to their original state (the hard way).

David

Sure, if the loop wouldn't disrupt display -- it looks like it would. Maybe just flatten it a bit?

And, despite what has been implied earlier, I'd be fair;ly sure she would not have qualified for a Belgian victory medal.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that she was. Just giving the probable British justification for awarding just the BWM.

And I suspect that if I applied for Adjutant Marie Emile Adrien Darte's British medals, if they allowed the claim I'd just get the BWM.

Guest Rick Research

How can you even be thinking that without The Rest Of The Story? :Cat-Scratch: What if she got a gazillion Belgian awards, a street named after her and her photo in the local school as a Heroine of the Resistance?

What if she was back at the Old Business during the NEXT war?

What if this turns out to be a Life Changing "magic bean" that completely reorients the entire purpose of your collecting life?

What if there is a Hollywood screenplay in all this, starring Cate Blanchett? And you'd get to sit next to her at the Oscars?

:rolleyes:

How can you even be thinking that without The Rest Of The Story? :Cat-Scratch: What if she got a gazillion Belgian awards, a street named after her and her photo in the local school as a Heroine of the Resistance?

What if she was back at the Old Business during the NEXT war?

What if this turns out to be a Life Changing "magic bean" that completely reorients the entire purpose of your collecting life?

What if there is a Hollywood screenplay in all this, starring Cate Blanchett? And you'd get to sit next to her at the Oscars?

:rolleyes:

Rickies been at the meth amphetemines again :lol:

Maybe she was in an escape group ..... "Liz, you sit here... if you see any Germans coming just sing aloud "The postmans trousers are like March violets" in the tune of "Waltzing Matilda"" .... And so Mlle Maron-Nizet sat, ready to sing, at the door of the barn, from 1914 to 18......

Of course, there could be 1000 differet stories of Liz and her poisened Spetznaz umbrella, Stijn is gonna see if some locals can find something...

Heres holding thumbs....

But the problem (?) with these tricky Britoish gongs is that not only are they all unique (= named), but that you never know what story lurks behind the metal and cloth.

Case in Point: A simple (enough) Khan Bahadur badge to Abdul Rauf Khan - unknown person.

Then comes his IGS 95 on auction in London (for which I paid way too much). REUNIFICATION!!

Then the research. Wow!

See

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2400&st=14

for a tale that will curl the hair on your furry hobbit feet.

Edited by Ed_Haynes