News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Austro-Hungarian collection

Riley1965

This will be a work in progress as I am getting all of the scans into one file folder. First (Thanks to Timo :D ), a Pair...

Cross of Honor with swords (Combattant) and the Commemorative Medal of the World War with Crossed swords and Helmut (Combattant).

:beer:

This will be a work in progress as I am getting all of the scans into one file folder. First (Thanks to Timo :D ), a Pair...

Cross of Honor with swords (Combattant) and the Commemorative Medal of the World War with Crossed swords and Helmut (Combattant).

:beer:

Hello!

Nice mounting. :cheers:

All the best

Nesredep

Nice medals, but not Austro-Hungarian. The first is German, the other is Hungarian.

I realize that the Hindenburg Cross is German and the commemorative medal is Hungarian. My question is...Was this awarded during the Austro-Hungarian period or post AH?

:beer: Doc

Clasic A-H style - on trifold ribbon, but i am not shore if ribbons are original or COPY...

Riley1965,

The ribbons look too new to be original but the "hook and eye" is correct for the period. Repro ribbons that I see in Hungary usually have a flat piece of aluminum for the hook instead of a bent double piece of wire as is seen on the ribbons on your medals. The medals are also mounted correctly with the ring inside the ribbon and not hanging down below it.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Doc,

The ribbons don't necessarily have to be repro since they have the correct mounting hardware. As to being Hungarian, I doubt it very much. Hungary, like most countries, puts foreign awards last. This pair has the German award first and then the Hungarian award. That would not normally be done in Hungary. Also, they could not be mounted on a Hungarian, or an Austrian uniform, sewn together like that. The Austro-Hungarian military suspended their medals from thread loops, one per award, sewn horizontally across the left breast of their tunics. After the dissollution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 both countries continued their former practice. The medals were put on the tunic by removing the hook from the stool gromet, or eye, threading the ribbon through the thread loop then reinserting the hook into the metal gromet.

Regards,

Gordon

This combination of awards could be German or Austrian (after Anschluss in 1938). Hindenburg cross could be awarded only to German citizens, including inhabitants of occupied Austria and Sudetenland.

Riley1965,

The ribbons look too new to be original but the "hook and eye" is correct for the period. Repro ribbons that I see in Hungary usually have a flat piece of aluminum for the hook instead of a bent double piece of wire as is seen on the ribbons on your medals. The medals are also mounted correctly with the ring inside the ribbon and not hanging down below it.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon: I must say, i have seen lots of COPY ribbons from Hungary and all had this classic hook as on photo..

Riley1965: COPY ribbons or not, its nice couple...

Ladis: What?s new in Czech republic? :)

Folks - I concur that the ribbons appear to be of newer manufacture. The thread count and loose weave of the ribbons along with the "shiny" gromets and zinc coated wire are all hallmarks of replacement ribbon. The replacement ribbons with the aluminum hardware are certainly recent manufacture, but the aluminum ones were built not with the intention to decieve - these are...unfortunatly. Still - its a nice representative pair. Lets see more!

• 4 weeks later...