News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Carl Eduard Medal Bar Assistance

Gents,

I recently picked up this medal bar and I have some concerns over the French style swords on the ribbon. Additionally, you can see other colored ribbons behind the medal ribbons. Is this acceptable?

Better images will be available shortly. Any comments are appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Hello,

Interresting medal bar. BUT I don't like the swords on it. If you want one medal bar with CM2X with date it should be like this one. This picture came from an old auction (I think Zeige I don't remember). This is the only kind of swords known on this medal.

Christophe

Nice bar!

Neither have i seen this style of swords going with that medal, but as the SEHO has straigt pols (like on the medal of Christophe) and curved poles (like the ones on the medalbar) - i wouldn't worry about myself (judging by the picture and the use of swords on the SEHO - as these where the ones available at the tailors place).

Christian

Gentlemen,

Are these not the same style swords as the ones on the Ernestine Order insignia that Carl Eduard handed out to his buddies in the SS and SA?

Actually, Nimmergut shows such a medal with the same swords affixed to the medal just below the crown. He labels it as ?Ovale Herzog Carl Eduard-Medaille mit Schwerten am Ring, 1935. He states that there were 64 (43 civil, 21 military) awards.

Regards,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card,

You are right. Last week I received the rare book of MAx Hans about Saxe Coburg Gotha medals. IN the page 107 we can see one photo of the CM2 with swords on ring. AND the swords are the same than here. So this medal has been awarded in the 30s only.

Christophe

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your insight. I am quickly off to buy a few more references.

Is it safe to conclude that this medal bar is an acceptable between the wars variation, despite the swords being on the ribbon? And that it was distributed by Carl Eduard to the SA and SS as a favor-currying tribute?

And to further confirm, the presence of other ribbons behind those for the medals is not a caution.

I hope I have interpreted your comments correctly. I certainly don't want to jump to any conclusions. Thanks to all.

Merry Christmas! :jumping:

Well, I would buy it. It was considered a form of house order up until the ban.

There's an interesting book on the Nazi-Coburg connection called "The Royals And The Reich".

There is an award list out there also, some of which is locked up at Windsor still.

Guest Rick Research

Mike-- I don't see any "other ribbons behind" the three ribbons, so I assume you mean there are folded, twisted scraps of ribbon INSIDE the bar?

That was quite routine-- I've got a shoebox full of such Thrifty Outfitter "recycling." When somebody came in to have a new bar made with some additional award, his old combination wasn't thrown away after the awards were pulled out to go on the new bar-- the outfitter chopped up the old "waste" ribbons and used them on the NEXT guy's new bar as FREE "guts" on which awards were sewn down underneath the draped ribbons.

"Green" Nazis. Gee.... :rolleyes:

:cheeky:

• 2 weeks later...