News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron merit crosses (Eiserne Verdiestkreuze)

Iver

The Statutes of the Iron Merit Cross were first published May 30th 1916. The Crosses were intituted by royal decree on April 1st 1916.

The iron merit crosses were created as an award for Gagisten ohne Rangklasse und Mannschaftspersonen = Military-Clerks and professions like horsekeepers officer-servants and soldiers (Infanterist, Gefreiter - the NCOs started in AH with the rank Korporal)

Two ribbons were possible ?nd awarded: Red Ribbon and War Ribbon (= bravery medal ribbon),

the statutes say that both classes crown/without crown may be worn

In the decoration system the iron merit crosses rank after the silver merit cross.

there was no official awarding-decree but legitimations from the different units and commands.

on 4th June 1916 (kuk Oberkommando Verordnung 9118) it was published that also longserving NCOs could be awarded the Iron Merit Cross.

the right of bestowal laid by the different Armeekommandos, the Fleet-Command, the commanding General in Bosnia and Hercegovina, the Korps- and Gruppenkommandos, the Festungskommando Krakau, the Kriegshafebkommando Poa and the Milit?rgeneralgouvernments in russian Poland, Serbia and Montenegro.

with royal decree from 25th Jannuary 1917 all so far decorated military-personal was awared the war-ribbon for their decorations (Franz-Josephs-Order, Military Merit medals, Golden, Silver and Iron Merit crosses).

This was the end for all awardings to military with red peacetime-ribbons.

Source: J?rg C, Steiner, Das Eiserne Verdienstkreuz, Vienna 1992

Despite the regulations the iron merit crosses were later also awarded to ensigns and welldecorated front-soldiers

the picture shows a rare variant with openworked crown

regards

josef

PS: Iver, beautifull EVK, this is the slim-modell isn't it?

Edited by Josef Rietveld

• 7 months later...

...Two ribbons were possible ?nd awarded: Red Ribbon and War Ribbon ...

Dear All,

I kindly ask you to help me, please. I am looking for evidences that das Eiserne Verdienstkreuz really could be awarded on red ribbon. If you have any photograph or "legitimation"s from units and commands, and you could share with me those documents I would be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance and I hope to see many interesting photos and documents.

Regards,

cimbineus

• 4 years later...
    • 3 months later...

The Statutes of the Iron Merit Cross were first published May 30th 1916. The Crosses were intituted by royal decree on April 1st 1916.

The iron merit crosses were created as an award for Gagisten ohne Rangklasse und Mannschaftspersonen = Military-Clerks and professions like horsekeepers officer-servants and soldiers (Infanterist, Gefreiter - the NCOs started in AH with the rank Korporal)

Two ribbons were possible ?nd awarded: Red Ribbon and War Ribbon (= bravery medal ribbon),

the statutes say that both classes crown/without crown may be worn

In the decoration system the iron merit crosses rank after the silver merit cross.

Dear Josef and friends, let me ask you some questions about this interesting decoration:

- Could be received by official, or was only intended for the troops and NCOs?

- What was its hierarchical position? Was it after or before the Bronze Bravery Medal?

- Did this award rewarded acts of courage, valor and bravery, or services on the rear? What merits a soldier had to do to win it?

Best regards and greetings.

• 5 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 1 year later...