News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

? WW1 Flyer Alois Micek or Mielk-- Retread Luftwaffe Hauptmann

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Please have a look at the thread link shown in Harrier's post below (goofed here and it didn't work) and see if the name (not entirely legible) on his tunic label rings any Hapsburg aviator bells.

:cheers:

Edited by Rick Research

Rick,

When ever I click on the link the following message is received:

'Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.' Is it just me or what :unsure:

Ian

Hi,

I have only found one Alois MICEK (no Mielk) in the Austro-Hungarian Army 1914-1918 (k.u.k. 1918 Rangliste). Leutnant der Reserve Alois Micek of Feldartilerieregiment Nr. 15. The only decoration mentioned is a Silver Signum Laudis.

I looked through a couple of list I have on Austro-Hungarian flying personnel but no match.

Not much help I am afraid.

Regards,

Ian

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Ian-- I suspect that must be him despite the arm of service change. :cheers:

I've seen lots of Luftwaffe "flight" officers who had never aat any point actually BEEN flyers.

Thanks again to everyone.

I think it was not uncommon at all for "re-tread" officers to be put almost anywhere they could possibly be of use. Nice if former flyers went to flying units, but an officer was an officer and supposedly had enough skill to be able to do SOMETHING! In this case, old Alois just happened to be somewhere they wore yellow.

I'd really like to figure out what was on that right pocket. I believe Rick is 100% correct that on the left were a WMC 1st and some other minor badge (sports, etc.). The right pocket has me stumped now that we know he wasn't a flyer.

Guest Rick Research

Maybe he was-- officers detached on "temporary" duty were carried with their parent units. That would explain why he was flight and not flak, which is where I'd expect an old artilleryman.

Wrong country for me to help...