News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French armband ID help please

Garth Thompson

Good evening Garth

The first armband is for the Staff officers of a Army Corps, the 6th in this case.

The second (without number) is for the SO of the personal military staff of the French president.

On your second post, it is armbands for veterans after the WW1. As you can see on this picture of Colonel de la Rocque, famous leader of a veteran movement "les croix de feu" after WWI.

Regards

Edited by Bison

Yes it is, obviously. The HQ armbands are quite scarce. They were worn in the 1900's and in the very beginning of WWI.

The others are also fully interesting, but not so rare and related to right wing political movements in the 30's.

To answer your question about the veteran movements :

V.N. stands for "Volontaires Nationaux" (national volonteers) which was a sub organization of the "Croix de feu".

Those who belong to the "Croix de feu" were mentioned during WWI. Those who belong to "V.N." were sympathizers or supporters (but not mentioned veterans ).

The "torch" was also the name and symbol of the newspaper of this organization.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Very nice armbands! The Croix de Feu was considered by some to be a far-right organisation, and possibly even fascist, but I would classify them as fairly typical arch-conservatives, like many veterans' organisations. I suppose the deathshead didn't do them any favours with the lefties but I imagine it was more of a traditional Catholic memento mori thing related to the dead of the battlefields than a fascist thing. I always advocate wariness of Wikipedia but this joint essay is a reasonable starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix-de-Feu.

PK

Edited by PKeating