News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

societ M1949 parade tanks jacket

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Would you like to move this over to Soviet uniforms so we don't lose the already great scans? Being a technical officer makes this even better than a regular tanker. :cheers:

BTW, I can see the "ghost" of a Red Star as the lowest screwback in the angles of his lapels on the right side. You may be able to see what else was squeezed on there to be able to match those.

Rick,

Yes please move this over to the Soviet uniforms section. It will save me having to repost the pictures and they are very good ones. Impressions on the right side of the jacket clearly indicate an OGPW, 2 Red Stars, a Guards badge and some unidentified badges. Just to the right of, and slightly above the Guards badge, the lowest one, is a five sided impression with a screw on back. This screw on back is the same diametre as the Gurads badge one that I have put on the tunic. Above all of these badges, roughly centred above the Red Star in the middle of the OGPW, Red Star line, is another place for a screw on badge. Probably something with a small suspension top. The impression on the tunic is not well defined. I checked on what badge impressions where clearly defined on this tunic before I bought it. I haven't spent time yet taking a close look at the left hand side of the tunic but from the photos there appears to have been several awards pinned on their as well. Looks as though this tunic had an interesting history.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

One thing I noticed. In other parade uniforms of the era, the cuff "spools" for a technician would also be silvered. Perhaps they are and the patina makes them look gold in these pictures. If that's not the case, are you absolutely sure the epaulets are original to this piece?

One thing I noticed. In other parade uniforms of the era, the cuff "spools" for a technician would also be silvered. Perhaps they are and the patina makes them look gold in these pictures. If that's not the case, are you absolutely sure the epaulets are original to this piece?

in the reality they have a silver/brownish patina. I honestly believe they were silvered.

MEFFERT,

The parade cuff bars on the cuff are original to the jacket as are the shoulderboards. The parade cuff bars are made of heavy silver thread and have tarnished over time. They do not look gold in real life but like tarnished silver.

Regards,

Gordon

The spools shown here are stamped metal - post 1948.

• 3 weeks later...

RichieC,

I stand corrected. They are indeed stamped metal.

I have some questions re badges/medals to put on this tunic. As can be seen from the above photos, there are some holes in the right breast of the tunic for awards plus the mark of the nuts that held them in place on the interior lining. Some of the awards were easy to figure out because of the impression they left on the cloth. The 2 red stars, OPW and the Guards Badge fit this description although for the time being I have put a post war Guards Badge and an 85 issue OPW on the tunic until I can get the correct type/serial number etc.

There are then three holes left and I seek some guidance as what to put there, if anything. I've used tooth picks to show the exact location of the holes. The top one at the edge of the collar does not have an obvious circular nut mark on the lining. The one below that goes through the uniform fabric but not through the lining of the tunic. The one to the right of the guards badge has a very definite circular mark of the nut on the linning. There is a mark on the tunic for this hole that looks like the top of a Technical School badge. Has the same type of two sided slope from the centre of the impression. I don't have a Technical School badge to try here to see if one would fit. Seems very close to the Guards Badge to actually install anything here. Would a Technical School badge work in this spot?

Regards,

Gordon

I would probably stick with what you have (although may put the OPW on top of the slant). Some holes that don't make sense may be because, for instance, the guards badge (or a graduation badge) was in one location and when a time in service red star was added nearby, it had to be moved. A hole through front but not lining is probably either a moth nip or a careless cigarrette coal (I have many period uniforms with both).