News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A King's German Legion Officer's Trio

Guest Rick Research

Intrigued by this thread and those wonderful medals I was trying to find some information on our recipient I came across this notice in The Times, Wednesday, Oct. 27, 1875. Retyped here as it was barely readable.

We have to record the death of Lieut.-Col. George Frederick Paschel, formerly of the 70th Regiment, and one of the few remaining Peninsular and Waterloo officers. The deceased had attained his 78th year, died at Merton-house, Chiswick, on the 23rd inst. He entered the army as Ensign in 1812, and served in the Peninsula with the second Line battalion of the King's German Legion from 1813 to the end of the war in 1814, including the battles of Nivelle and Nive, the investment of Bayonne, and subsequent operations before that fortress. He served also the campaign of 1815, and was attached at Quartre Bras to Sir Henry Clinton on the 17th of June and at the Battle of Waterloo. He became a captain in 1826, major in 1841, and lieut.-col. in 1851, and had received the war medal with two claps, as also the Hanoverian war medal.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Today I came across August Finkam's 1901 catalog of his former collection, in which he states that there were a TOTAL of 1,230 MGS Medals to members of the King's German Legion

of which only 134 were to officers,

and out of the entire total, exactly 100 had 2 bars. :jumping::jumping::jumping: :jumping:

• 13 years later...