News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oh, my eyes... (solved: Heeres-Musikinspizient Hackenberger)

Looking through my photos I re-found this Reichswehr-Stabsoffizier. A part of his medals is quite sharp, but the other part is unfortunally not. Does someone know him and his decorations?

I came to: EK II, Kriegshilfekreuz, Rote Kreuz-Medaille 3rd class, a "XXV" or "XV", a crown order 4th class, a 1897 medal. Then it get's strange... Bavarian MVK 1st or 2nd class with crown and swords, a Saxon Albrechtsorder 3aX, a Baden Zähringer Löwe and... whatever... maybe Schaumburg-Lippe in the end...

HELP?!

:speechless1:

post-1172-1229369442.jpg

Gro_es_Portraitphoto_eines_Reichswehr_Stabsoffiziers_mit_mutma_licher_11er_Ordensspange_Preu_en_Bayern_Sachsen_Baden_xxx_Schaumburg.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1:

Initial Ricky magic

He is a Prussian (cockade) and this was taken from 1926 on (metallic officer's cap cord).

Improvement in contrast to the image seems to suggest a 4 sided border around his collar tabs for a medical or veterinary officer, but I cannot tell what device--or number--is on his shoulder board.

My very first impression seeing what appears to be an NCO's bavarian Military Merit Cross next to a Capatin's Saxon Albert Order is that he was a ZPaymaster or similar Beamter, since Bavaria INSULTED such officials by decorating them as if they were Warrant Officers rather than the equivalent grade of officers whose shoulder boards they wore.

But that medal bar is a horrible wash out.

A quick pass through the 1924 Rank List shows no obvious match, reinforcing my impresssion that he was some ssort of Beamter. They aren't listed. :banger:

Guest Rick Research

Aha. Secondary Ricky magic

Much easier to see the edging on his collar Litzen now and easily see the TWO different layers and colors of Waffenfarbe under his rank insignia.

So he's an invisible Beamter of some sort.....

not a HOPELESS case... just a time consuming one.

Guest Rick Research

4,200 SA3aXs to hunt through....

Prussian... administrative official...

Feldintendanturrat Friedrich Bachmann... nope. awards don't match...

Hofrat Bartelt...

Intendanturrat Biesantz... nope. awards don't match.

Regierungsbaumeister B?rsch...

Intendanturrat Theodor Burchardi... nope. awards don't match...

Feldintendant Ernst Debus... nope. awards don't match...

Regierungsbaurat Engelhardt...

Regierungsbaumeister Fraustadt...

Geheimer Expedierender Sekret?r/Rechnungsrat G??gen....

Etappen Baudirektor G?nther...

Regierungsbaurat Gutbrod...

Geheimer ExpedSekr Haecker...

RegBaumeister Hammer...

RegBaurat Heinrich...

RegBaumeister Ritter und Edler von Ke?ler...

RegBaumeister Wilhelm Kleinmann... nope. Reichbahn/SA. Not him.

RegBaurat Kurowski...

FeldIntRat Lehmann...

you get the idea...

wade through them ALL... then try and scratch any with other non matching awards... and THEN try to find one as a Reichsheer Beamter....

Guest Rick Research

I was up until 2 AM labouring on this...

luckily Sascha will be naming his first born son after me :catjava: ...

but I still couldn't turn him up as a LISTED Beaamter on the saxon and Baden Rolls...

which means he must be shown there by a Rreserve officer rank :banger: and not his military official title.

All that wasted time did however confirm my initial impression of Beamten in Captain grades getting appropriate Orders but being insulted by Bavaria with MVK1s at the same time.

I think if I'd been handed one of those, I wouyld never have worn it.

Result may await the Siekmann 1917 Beamten List....

All that wasted time did however confirm my initial impression of Beamten in Captain grades getting appropriate Orders but being insulted by Bavaria with MVK1s at the same time.

I think if I'd been handed one of those, I wouyld never have worn it.

Mhh, I think I would - great award. But, isn't there any list for those?! With that few awards this would get quite easy.. well, stupid question. Apparently there is no list?! :speechless: Now that he is a Prussian with MVK1aX...

Interesting that he put his war time awards ahead of the imperial orders.

He wears his Prussian stuff in front of all others. A real prussian indeed...

luckily Sascha will be naming his first born son after me :catjava: ...

You know I will... even if it becomes a daughter...

:cheers:

Edited by saschaw

4,200 SA3aXs to hunt through....

Prussian... administrative official...

Thanks again Rick for your affort. As it didn't work from the rank lists and from Saxons on it is more work I tried it the other way round, beginning with the Bavarian MVK1aX, compared to BZL. Can anyone approve a SA3aX to Mr. Otto Ziegler, EtapTeleSek. ?

:rolleyes:

Thanks again Rick for your affort. As it didn't work from the rank lists and from Saxons on it is more work I tried it the other way round, beginning with the Bavarian MVK1aX, compared to BZL. Can anyone approve a SA3aX to Mr. Otto Ziegler, EtapTeleSek. ?

:rolleyes:

Ziegler got a MVK1x am Bande f?r Kriegsverdienst, but nothing with crown.

• 13 years later...

This group shot with our still unknown man was sold on ebay some years ago, and the seller certainly doesn't mind I'm using it here for educational purposes. Despite that photo is much smaller, the angle allows a better view. I'm seeing Hessen-Darmstadt's HMSK and, as originally supposed, Schaumburg-Lippe's SLK.

What I still don't see: a name to it! As Rick pointed out more than thirteen years ago (sic) he wouldn't be to be found in any Reichswehr rank list. Now that's stupid! But might anyone capable of doing the magic have another shot at this, anyway?

:unsure:

BMV5aXKrB_1.JPG

BMV5aXKrB_2.JPG

BMV5aXKrB_3.jpg

• saschaw changed the title to Oh, my eyes... (Heeres-Musikinspizient Oskar Hackenberger)

Wow, now that was fast. I hope it was less effort than in the olden days.

Thank you so much, Glenn!

13 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Heeres-Musikinspizient Oskar Hackenberger.

It's odd! I cannot find that Zähringer, neither in Roth's 1997 work, nor in Dave Danner's additions?! Would you know if it's a knight's cross 1st or a knight's cross 2nd class?

:wacky:

Edited by saschaw

• saschaw changed the title to Oh, my eyes... (solved: Heeres-Musikinspizient Hackenberger)
    23 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Musicians are a particular interest of mine.

That's good to know! I'm sure I'm having some few more in my collections or stocks!

:whistle:

On 25/01/2022 at 10:01, saschaw said:

Would you know if it's a knight's cross 1st or a knight's cross 2nd class?

Does someone... ? I'd guess BZ3aX, from the combination with SA3aX, but you never know...

• 4 months later...