Friedrich-August Kreuz 1. Klasse, cross shaped screwback

Dear forumites,

I just wanted to test the new scanner and decided to show as an example a newly adquired FA 1st class with a very rarely seen cross shaped screw and its original case of the Juweller B. Knauer, Oldenburg.

I am sorry that I had to reduce the size of the scans so much, in order to be able to post them.

Ciao,

Claudio

Scan of the front:

Hi Micha,

I think the same, too.

There were many jewellers or dealers of orders and medal like Godet, etc. that had on their stock for sale as retailer lots of stuff not produced by themselves.

Ciao,

Claudio

Mike,

I wouldn't be too sure about that.I've seen a few sets of these in the past(including my own one)-Of course I don't thing that Knaur has made this special piece,I think he simply was the retailer in this case! but anyway,a really nice set!

Micha

Personally I believe Knauer to be the main manufacturer, not retailer, of Oldenburg FAXs.

As Knauer also made their own screwbacks (ie with the standard wartime award obverse design) why would they outsource from Meybauer in Berlin?

For the record, I've seen more than one Meybauer screwback that I KNOW to have been married (not by me) with a Knauer etui in the past few years.

But hey, 90 years after the fact, who's going to know for sure.

Regards

Mike

Personally I believe Knauer to be the main manufacturer, not retailer, of Oldenburg FAXs.

As Knauer also made their own screwbacks (ie with the standard wartime award obverse design) why would they outsource from Meybauer in Berlin?

For the record, I've seen more than one Meybauer screwback that I KNOW to have been married (not by me) with a Knauer etui in the past few years.

Regards

Mike

You only have to read the stamp inside the case. Knauer was Hofgoldschmied that means he produced for the royal family. He was not only a dealer.

Regards Alex

Regards

Mike

Well,I agree....I remember a time here when we had the "Deutschmark" and no one was really interested in Cases,cardboxes and paperbags! And that was not so long ago......

OK,it looks like we are just a few years too late with our questions-so even if Claudios set has been putted together,the cross and the box are excellent pieces!

Micha