News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your immaculate Godet Spangen!

Guest Rick Research

:beer: And I am glad to be back so I can SEE things and not get reports over the telephone! :cheeky:

That is a V-E-R-Y interesting bar indeed. I wonder.... with a "combatant" Iron Cross... if the father of a dead son thought he could only wear ONE Hindenburg Cross and so chose that Next-Of-Kin, leaving his own (?)Kriegsteilnehmer off? I've seen medal bars with two Hindenburgs in cases like that. Otherwise I can't explain the "black white" ribbon, the way a "white black" would have made sense if the father was not in military uniform.

A beautiful bar with a sad story!

No, dear Tilo, in this thread you haven't shown it before... the MVO looks like a JL type... beautiful as well the Chilean and Ottoman orders... Marine officer!? :-)

Very very nice... don't forget to show the reverse...

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

Mmmmmmmmmm. Very very very nice!

Post 1918 from the 3rd cross... presumably a military attaché?

Post 1918 from the 3rd cross... presumably a military attaché?

May be. But also some other connections because of Willis sister Sophie are possible. I am quite sure, that therefore a few Greeks with a Crown Order 3rd class can be found in the Ordenslisten. Because of this I did not look there until now.

Regards, Komtur.

Guest Rick Research

Perhaps a Kammerherr? Though how to find the right one... in Greek sources?!

What is the second Order? I cannot find it anywhere in my references. Perhaps that helps date this Spange, too--though I would think the tiny Godet "auto license plate" tag went out in the 1920s.

The Venizelos Republican (!) War Cross in 3rd place was supposed to be for Captains with no ribbon device, so he was a VERY lucky Captain if he got a KO3 in 1913/14!

Godet manufactured Greek Cross of Valor insignia & cases in all 3 grades -- certainly in the 1920 and 1930s. Usually, cases have their name [simply 'GODET'] stamped in gilt on the reverse right corner.

Edited by 922F

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

That's a beauty and a VERY interesting combination of career officer XXV years long service, wartime Red Cross Medal, and 1934-37 Red Cross Decoration. That surely suggests a war-years-double-time/post March 1897 frontline regimental medical officer--so virtually certainly a char. Oberstabsarzt aD.

Somewhere somewhere SOMEWHERE the Red Cross awards rolls must exist, waiting to be transcribed!

In the case of your medal bar, the suspect pool for that level of retired military doctors without other awards not Wehrmacht (E) or a civil servant in the 1930s should sort him out into an identification from LACK of other awards.

If only we had those Red Cross rolls!!!!!!!

Hi Claudio,

You probably have seen it. All my bars have been purchased from on line dealers , major auction houses, and even members of our forum (actually some of the best). I think most all of my bars have been seen before.

Kind regards,

Sam Kircus