News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your immaculate Godet Spangen!

Perhaps a Kammerherr? Though how to find the right one... in Greek sources?!

What is the second Order? I cannot find it anywhere in my references. Perhaps that helps date this Spange, too--though I would think the tiny Godet "auto license plate" tag went out in the 1920s.

The Venizelos Republican (!) War Cross in 3rd place was supposed to be for Captains with no ribbon device, so he was a VERY lucky Captain if he got a KO3 in 1913/14!

Hello, it is not the war cross, it is the military merit medal, 4th class. probably Huguenin made.

Godet manufactured Greek Cross of Valor insignia & cases in all 3 grades -- certainly in the 1920 and 1930s. Usually, cases have their name [simply 'GODET'] stamped in gilt on the reverse right corner.

I have never seen a Greek Commander of the Cross of Valour manufactured by Godet. Do you have any specimens, photos or other documentation about it? Gold and silver crosses are common and Godet boxes are often found with them, but I've never seen acommander box either. It would be nice to see one, if you can provide us some photos.

I saw a Cross of Valor commander in a Godet case [blue with gilt details] in the late 1970s at an Athens museum near the former royal palace. Cannot remember the museum name but it was the former residence of a well-connected family that collected all sorts of art work, antiques & oddities. Have not visited the museum since the mid-1980s. A late '70s-early '80s OMSA 'Medal Collector' article describes this museum and reports on its holdings. When I remember the museum name or find the article, I'll post it here.

• 11 months later...

Dear forumites,

I want to show a Godet bar of a personality; GFM Erhard Milch (the whole group - documents, papers, 2 Doppelabzeichen with Brilliants, ribbon and medal bar, was for sale on HH catalogue a couple of years back, for mere Eur 350'000.- + commission.... not surprisingly it didn't sell, although the historical value IMHO could have been higher than the price asked).

Look at the the details also on the double-row ribbon bar... I'm sure also quite typical Godet manufacture! ;-)

Enjoy.

ciao,

Claudio

Hii Paul,

He didn't wear them on the medal bar because very likely wore them around the neck... (Higher classes of the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen, SEHO komturkreuz with swords and Volkspflege-Ehrenzeichen)... ;)

• 1 month later...

When that Tuxedo bar with miniatures was sold by the Auction house it came with 2 or 3 photo albums and other stuff belonging to the group or at least to the family's tuxedo bar wearer... Very likely this group was split to maximise profit! :angry:

Too bad that I couldn't purchase it in the first place; I would have surely kept together! :banger:

• 2 years later...

Dear forumites!

My latest purchase fresh from Germany... maybe identifible?
    ;)

Here's the description of the orders and medals on the bar:

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse am Kämpferband, 1914 (OEK 1909), E gs/;
    • Preußen, Roter Adler Orden, Kreuz 4. Klasse (OEK 1704), S;
    • Preußen, Landwehr-DA 2. Klasse 1913 (OEK 1979), ku ;
    • Preußen, Kaiser Wilhelm I. Erinnerungsmedaille 1897 (OEK 1965/1), br vg ;
    • Königreich Württemberg, Friedrichs-Orden RK 2. Kl. Mit Schwertern (OEK 2983), S Medaillon G;
    • Bremen, Hansatenkreuz (OEK 651), ku vs emailliert;
    • Weimarer Republik, Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkriegs
    • Königreich Sachsen, Albrechts-Orden RK 1. Klasse ohne Schwerter (OEK 2205), S/S vg

Looking forward to read your inputs, thanks! :thumbup:

ciao,

Claudio

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

With the Red Eagle and the Albrecht-Orden Knight 1st Class, but with a Knight 2nd Class with Swords of the Friedrich-Orden, it seems that his civilian rank was higher than his military rank.  Maybe an außer Dienst Reserve or Landwehr officer, so he had worked his way up the civil service ranks, but was still a Leutnant or Oberleutnant when the war began.

Dear forumites,

I didn't show  this other Godet's medal bar, yet. Attributed to Oberstabarzt a.D. Dr. Joseph Wirth (*1878 - † ? ),1914 Stabsarzt in the Prussian War cabinet/ministry, later with 4th Army.

Description of the medals on the bar

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Kl. am Kämpferband, 1914 (OEK 1909), E gs/S;
    • Preußen, Rote Kreuz Medaille 2. Kl., 1898, in Silber (OEK 1871), WM vs;
    • Preußen, Rote Kreuz Medaille 3. Kl., 1898, in Bronze (OEK 1872), Br;
    • Königreich Württemberg, Friedrichs-Orden RK 1. Kl. mit Schwertern (OEK 2981), Sv emailliert;
    • Oldenburg, Friedrich-August Kreuz 2. Kl. am Band f.Kämpfer (OEK 1563);
    • Lübeck, Hansatenkreuz (OEK 1265), S emailliert;
    • KuK Österreich-Ungarn (bis 1918), Franz Joseph-Orden Ritterkreuz am Kriegsband (BWK1 668 / ZK2 2099), Gold;
    • KuK Österreich-Ungarn (bis 1918), Ehrenzeichen vom Roten Kreuzes 2. Klasse ohne Kriegsdekoration, 1914 – 1923 (BWK1 344 / ZK2 2140), S emailliert.

Maybe somebody out there can help me in finding more Details about Dr. Wirth's career or date and place of death.

Thank you a lot in advance for your comments.

ciao,

Claudio

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Wonderful medal bar Claudio!  -Post 265

(the Joseph Wirth is a great bar too)

Hmmmm, what do you think you have here?  A Frack mount, so EKII on the right, but the Saxon Officer Class Albert Order in the back is interesting.  As well as the Centennial Medal, 2nd Class LS medal and a Weimar era WWI commemorative.

If I had to speculate, a non-Saxon gentleman (Probably a Prussian or Kaiserreich), but was also respected by Saxony before WWI.  In the military, but long after the FP war, but before the turn of century.  Pre-war Red Eagle, and "new-style" LS award is recognized service.  Served as a combatant during WWI and earned three wartime 2nd class merit awards, but not with a Saxon unit.  Paid handsomely to have the whole thing mounted in the 20's for civilian wear. 

Edited by Claudius

On 12/19/2016 at 05:48, Claudio said:

Dear forumites!

My latest purchase fresh from Germany...

Claudio

image1.JPG

Great bar Claudio, congrats.

On 12/19/2016 at 10:26, Claudio said:

Dear forumites,

I didn't show  this other Godet's medal bar, yet. Attributed to Oberstabarzt a.D. Dr. Joseph Wirth

And another one. Just lovely.

Edited by Streptile