News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian ribbon bar

Noor

Guest Rick Research

Yup. A career officer, nobleman, still alive after 1938. :cheers:

I remember once when the Irish Post Office went on strike for over a year. Two sets of Christmas cards back and forth from us cousins never got delivered. I guess things have changed over there--you've got better delivery than we do these days, what with all the thieves and pirates in the post office and customs.

I was confused as well because the awards on it but Rick cleared out - second row... I really like it, quality is amazing and "weird" combination. But who was this person who split the group??? :violent:

Thanks for the comments and help!

I remember once when the Irish Post Office went on strike for over a year. Two sets of Christmas cards back and forth from us cousins never got delivered. I guess things have changed over there--you've got better delivery than we do these days, what with all the thieves and pirates in the post office and customs.

I think same things happends all the time here! Also bank system is like it is.... . But this group I got from other irish guy here! :cheeky:

• 4 weeks later...

My next Austrian ribbon bar.

Am I correct when I say it is an early version of the Austrian ribbon bar? Also when or how long period they used clips for them?

Extreamly nice heavy devices! :jumping::jumping:

09183595ee3cf3_l.jpg

As AH forces used the trifold ribbons on all awards a rather simple system was employed for the dress uniforms (which all too often were sometimes even field uniforms for the officers...) by simply sewing a series of straight loops along the uppr chest you could hang your full medlas without having to use a medal bar OR you could simply use these snaped ribbons to afix to the ribbon loops for a similar "smart" look

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys...

Here is my last random find. Some ribbon colors is washed badly out, so it does "reading" even harder. Can some more experienced forum member can help me or advice.

As far I understand, its the bar from 20s to some kind civilian-army person.

Awards:

1. Civil Merit Medal (Red ribbon with the small white stripe in the middle)

2. Order of Elisabeth/ Elisabeth Merit Cross/Medal

3. Military awards (Bravery/Merit/Franz Joseph, etc???)

4. Military awards (Bravery/Merit/Franz Joseph, etc???)

5. Military awards (Bravery/Merit/Franz Joseph, etc???)

6. Merit Cross/Medal

7. Merit Cross/Medal

8. ????

9. ???? (looks like Japanese????????)

0943370137fb58_l.jpg

My next Austrian ribbon bar.

Am I correct when I say it is an early version of the Austrian ribbon bar? Also when or how long period they used clips for them?

Extreamly nice heavy devices! :jumping::jumping:

09183595ee3cf3_l.jpg

Noor,

I don't know how long or even what period the snap on fasteners were used for attaching ribbon bars. Ribbons with the snaps on them turn up much more often than tunics do. I have only seen one tunic with the snap on devices on it and it was from approxiamtely circa 1890.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Like I understand.... last ribbon bar has...

1. Order of the Iron Crown

2. Order of Franz Joseph/Bravery or Merit medal

3. Order of Franz Joseph (peace time)/Merit cross-medal

4. ?????

5. Merit cross/medal

6. Order/Cross/Medal of Elizabeth

7. ????

8. Bavaria MVK?

Is it look like a officer bar or career NCO? Period can be around end of WW1?

All the comments would be very appriciated! :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

No no. MOST peculiar with no swords devices on there, but

1. Order of the Iron Crown

2. Military Merit Cross 3rd Class (could be peacetime-- THAT award always same ribbon)

3. Signum Laudis undoubtedly bronze (peacetime)

4. Officers' 25 Years Service Cross

5. 1898 Military Jubilee Medall

6. 1908 Military Jubilee Cross

7. 1912/13 Mobilization Cross

8. Bavaria Military Merit Order (peacetime)

Maybe circa 1916 since there is no Karl Troop Cross and maybe this early explains lack of Swords devices too. A Major or Oberstleutnant.

• 3 months later...

As AH forces used the trifold ribbons on all awards a rather simple system was employed for the dress uniforms (which all too often were sometimes even field uniforms for the officers...) by simply sewing a series of straight loops along the uppr chest you could hang your full medlas without having to use a medal bar OR you could simply use these snaped ribbons to afix to the ribbon loops for a similar "smart" look

I've seen at least one early Japanese uniform that uses the same system, it was pre-WWI (probably pre-Boxer Rebellion, as it was a cavalry tunic and I suspect that the small Japanese cavalry arm got khaki tunics early, it was the blue type).

Strange, though, because the Japanese never had any Austrian advisors that I'm aware of, and the Japanese Army mostly imitated whoever they were being advised by.

~TS

Dr. Ernst G?rtner, KUK doctor of medicine, commander of mobile aid station 1.

Nice to see German China campaign medal on "foreign" bar. I also like it because it's my earliest plastic bar what I have probably.

If someone have more info about this doctor, I would be very happy to hear. Also would like to find scan of his picture if possible.

11303921839d5e_l.jpg

11303923b90fe9_l.jpg

• 7 months later...

I pop up this old threat...

Does any of you guys have some information about Dr. Ernst Gärtner (KUK doctor of medicine, commander of mobile aid station 1). Especially about his service in China???beer.gif

I pop up this old threat...

Does any of you guys have some information about Dr. Ernst Gärtner (KUK doctor of medicine, commander of mobile aid station 1). Especially about his service in China???beer.gif

Noor: In the book "Ehrenbuch der Österreichisch - Ungarischen Wehrmacht. Die Ausgezeichneten im Weltkrieg. I. Band - Allerhöchste Auszeichnungen verlautbart in der Zeit vom 1. August 1914 bis 31. Juli 1915" I have found only one doctor with name Gärtner:

Gärtner Viktor Dr., OberArzt, IDSA.41 (Infanterie-Divisionssanitätsanstalt 41), GVK m.Kr. (Gold Merit Cross with Crown) awarded in 1915.

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Very nice ones guys!cheers.gif

Is there any uniform regulations around from pre WW1, what indicates ribbon bars in use, regulations (how many awards on the row, etc)?

Would be interesting to learn more about them, when Austria established ribbon bars, was they made officially by whom, etc?2014.gif

Noor: yes, the swords seems to be "german style"... but the ribbon is surely the end of WWI.... as faras i know, the "ribbon bars" in this form were estabilished only in 1917 under the rule of JCV ("his emperor´s higness") Karl I. in 1917 (Měřička)...