News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major the Lord Davies

Guys, can anyone shine any more light on Major the Lord Davies,

I know.......

"Michael who became the second Lord Davies was killed in Holland in September 1944 holding the rank of Major in the R.W.F."

He was killed in action leading his men on the 25th Sept 1944, and was buried in a German aid station cemetary near Hooge.

This is all the information, I have been able to find out, I would have thought with him being a Lord and all that there would be far more information available, and even pictures of him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It may also be of interest to note, that there is no trace on him, on the CWGC site.

Guys, can anyone shine any more light on Major the Lord Davies,

I know.......

"Michael who became the second Lord Davies was killed in Holland in September 1944 holding the rank of Major in the R.W.F."

He was killed in action leading his men on the 25th Sept 1944, and was buried in a German aid station cemetary near Hooge.

This is all the information, I have been able to find out, I would have thought with him being a Lord and all that there would be far more information available, and even pictures of him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It may also be of interest to note, that there is no trace on him, on the CWGC site.

Have you looked him up in Burke's or Debrett's Peerage, or Who Was Who?

Cheers,

James

Little bit here, may be worth making enquiries with this museum:

http://www.museumdebewogenjaren.nl/report.htm

About our activities and celebrations concerning our 60 th anniversary of the liberation.

My foundation ?Museum de bewogen jaren 1939-1950? together with the local history groups of Reusel and de Mierden have had a commemorating walk in September 1994. At that time we were liberated for over 50 years and we were very proud to have such a lot of people, including some veterans who actually liberated our villages, joining us.

This walk we did again last 26 th of September 2004, 60 years after the liberation. We started near the church with an explanation about the citizen and military casualties and what happened in the town centre of Reusel. After that we have put some flowers on the British graves in Reusel. Walking from Reusel towards Hooge-Mierde we came besides the place were the former monastry was located. There were some old military vehicles to carry the people who were unable to walk that distance. At the spot were the Germans had a first aid post we have put flowers at the spot were major the Lord Davies and captain Lee were buried in 1944. This we did together with the present Lord Davies, together with his wife and a daughter. I wil explain a bit what happened:

In September 1944 inhabitants of Reusel had to leave the village because of the fighting that was going on in the town centre. A lot of British veterans have different memories about this period. The people from Reusel went to the abbey in Postel from where they were brought to Eersel in British trucks and others went to Hooge-Mierde, were they were welcomed by the local priest and a committee. The hospitality of the inhabitants succeeded in the fact that every Reuselnaar had a place to spend the time at Hooge-Mierde. They tried to keep the families together but in case the families were over 10 persons, it was possible that the boys and girls were placed in different houses.

When we arrived in Hooge-Mierde there was an exhibition about these days and there has been spoken by John Meulenbroeks about market garden and how the war came towards Reusel. Lord Davies spoke about his memories of his father going to the main land. Joan Jansen spoke about the experiences in our villages and Rieneke Rovers-Swaanen read what her father remembers about the refugees coming from Reusel to Hooge-Mierde.

Also Saturday the 2 nd and Sunday the 3 rd there were different commemoratings, lectures and exhibitions going on. Saturday Co Fioole told about the bitter winter of 1944-1945 in the eastern part of the Netherlands were he was living that time. He used a lot of original material that gave people a way to survive. Afterwards Mr Huijbregts from Turnhout memorised what he had to go through in the concentrationcamps of Buchenwald , Dora and Elrich. He managed to survive because the Germans gave him a job in the bandage post, he told the Germans before that he was a first aid volunteer.

Sunday we brought the liberation fire to our town centre. By bicycle and by foot, companioned by people in original uniforms of a Dutch, a Belgian and a French soldier of 1940 on bicycles and on a motor from that period. The mayor lightened the fire in the town centre and opened an exhibition in the former preacherbuilding. This lasted for another week.

In the evening Simon Dickens told about what the Dutch suffered in the Dutch east-Indies in the second world war. Simon is volunteer and talks to a lot of victims of the Japanese occupation. He was using a lot of foto?s during his explanation.

The museum is showing a lot more material about this period.

Thanks to al our volunteers.