News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear forumites,

I saw this bar on the internet (still for sale) and was wondering if there is any connection between a W?rttember'sches or Hessiches Regiment with the crown of Holland, due to the last order on the bar... I don't want to start a research on this bar before it will be sold, but I thought that this combination must be quite unique. Furthermore the Military Medical Cross of Hessen, as its name says, should have been awarded to some kind of a medical officer.

Ciao,

Claudio

Description of the orders:

• Prussia, Iron Cross, 2nd Class, 1914, silver and iron

W?RTTEMBERG, ORDER OF FREDERIC, KNIGHT, 1ST CLASS with swords

HESSEN, Military Medical Cross 1914, gilt bronze, war ribbon

War Cross 1914-1918 for combatants, bronze, maker's mark R.V.9 Pforzheim

Netherlands, Order of the House of Orange, Knight, 1st Class, 2nd model, silver enamelled; center in gold

Edited by Claudio

Hello Claudio,

I think that we both had the same initial reaction to this bar for the same reason - Military Friedrich Order and Combatant?s War Cross with the Hessen Military Medical Cross. With that Hessen cross, I would have expected the other two to be without swords.

I am very curious as to whether this could be legitimate, and how.

Best wishes and Happy New Year, :beer:

Wild Card

too many questions..................... :wacky::(:o makes no sense to me...

A 1870 (!!!) military medical cross........

........ BUT ........

no war medal 1870/71 and no centenar medal 1897 for all the peaople of the 70/71 war ???

......... AND THEN active in war 1914/18 .........

...... AND ........

STILL ALIVE IN 1934 !!! to geht his frontfighters cross in the age of over 84 or something like that ------ hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm I don`t know....

with a 1914 medical cross it would be much easier to accept for me... ;-)

Edited by HeikoGrusdat

Yeah... that was my same reaction... Those swords are strange but not impossible. I would have liked to see a clear picture of the back also, though.

I wish you also a very happy new year with lots of new goodies for your marvellous collection!

Ciao,

Claudio

P.S.: the Hessen Medical Merit cross is a 1914 piece (see obverse, worn as reverse).

Edited by Claudio

• 3 months later...

Nice bar, but I could not find him immediately. I did a cross check of all Dutch pre-WWI awards to W?rttembergers and the Hessian WWI awards. Maybe he got the Dutch order post-WWI... The wearer was a W?rttemberger, wasn't he? I'm not 100% sure, but about 95%... ;)

I don't have W?rttemberg's WWI rolls to check those but the WF3aX with Hassian Milit?r-Sanit?tskreuz might bring him up, however...

Edit:

Dr. H?cker and Dr. H?lscher from W?rttemberg had the Hassian cross, no other known non-W?rttemberg awards neither in nor pre WWI

Edited by saschaw

@ Beau Newman: I know what you mean, but sometimes outfitters used ribbons that were available in their shops, like for example this medal bar from my brother collection which came with a name (Dr. Hansen) and documents.

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

The pink and silver bullion ribbon was used for home front awards. Front line awards used the same ribbon as the Hessian General Decoration for bravery. The bars above are correct for frontline awards.

The "Dutch" medal bar, aside form being to someone who was a Captain-level during the war but who failed to qualify for a long service award, has nothing to indicate that the wearer was a Prussian OR a W?rttemberger. Probably NOT a Hessian, since he's got no General Decoration bravery medal.

The WF3aX Roll is done :cheers: but the Gnome Collective has not been going back BEFORE the war looking for single peacetime Orders--German OR foreign. It'll take TIME, but someday I'd expect a name to pop out. :catjava: