News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I do it... :rolleyes:

She is Lidia Pereprygina.

She had a love affair with Stalin in Summer 1914. She was 13, and him 35 year old. They lived together, and has two children. One born in december 1914, but who died soon afterwards. A second one, in April 1917, called Alexander. She did not tell Stalin, who never contacted her. Lidia later married a peasant fisherman, Yakov Davydov, who adopted Alexander as his own. She became a hairdresser and had eight more children.

Here is an article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-45...er-aged-13.html

Ch.

Well done Christophe. The youngest in Stalin's list of women. I hinted at the age gap between him and Nadezhda to try to throw you on the right track.

Ball is in your court.

Edited by JimZ

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a few stats :

Quiz 2009 :

* 25 questions asked,

* with 280 answers,

* and viewed more than 3,385 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2009 :

* 7 : Christophe

* 5 : Ilja (ilja559)

* 3 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro) & Jim (JimZ)

* 1 : Christian (Zulus), Dan (Hauptman), Doc (Riley1965), Simon (SU1977) & Wild Card

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 245 questions asked,

* with 3,060 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 40,000 times.

* 46 Members of the Forum played, and 34 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 47 : Christophe

* 42 : Christian (Zulus)

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 15 : Jim (JimZ)

* 12 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet), Dan (Hauptman) & Marc (Lapa)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I, Ed (Haynes) & Wild Card.

* 5 : Alex (RedMaestro) & Ilja (ilja559)

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Doc (Riley1965), Dudeman, Eddie (Taz), Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman), Simon (SU1977) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 246th question... !! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi to all,

If you want to ask for the next challenge, please do so. I will be away for a week, and won't be able to answer your guesses, even if I launch the next challenge.

The ball in the court of who wants... :beer:

Thanks and cheers.

Ch.

Hi to all,

No one seems inspired... So I take the ball, and because of lack of time, I will try again a challenge that remained unsuccesful in April 2008.

Question #246

Back to Berlin...

Here are the questions :

As you all know, in mid-1945, Berlin has been divided in 4 sectors commanded by the USA, Great-Britain, France and the USSR.

In the first agreement signed in London (30 november 1944), France had no sector attributed. The French sector first appeared on 28 February 1945, through a British proposal. It took a number of proposals and compromises to reach the final agreement on 30 July 1945.

The 4 precise questions are :

1. The British proposal of 28 February 1945 being the 1st one, how many interim proposals and compromises have been needed to reach the final agreement of the 30 July 1945 ?

As a bonus, can you list them, with each time the new location and / or content of the french Sector ?

2. On 30 July 1945 (final agreement), what are the names of the Berlin districts included in the French sector ?

3. What were the Berlin districts initially asked by France ?

4. Who was the Commander in Chief of the French sector on 30 July 1945 ?

The winner will be the first Member fully answering all questions (except Bonus).

Good hunt and good luck.... :whistle:

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

Christophe because I like Berlin related questions, I will try to answer partially your multiple questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Wedding and Reinickendorf

#4 Marie-Pierre Kœnig who received a Suvurov 1st Class :)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

So, i think it is now time to give the answers to this uninspiring question... :blush:

The answers are :

* Q1.The British proposal of 28 February 1945 being the 1st one, how many interim proposals and compromises have been needed to reach the final agreement of the 30 july 1945 ?

As a bonus, can you list them, with each time the new location and / or content of the french Sector ?

A1 : There have been 8 proposals or compromises in total, the British proposal of 28 February 1945 being the 1st one, and the final agreement of 30 July 1945 the 8th one.

Here are they :

1. British proposal - 28 February 1945

2. French proposal - 22 March 1945

3. Compromise - 23 March 1945

4. Compromise - 30 March 1945

5. Compromise - 10 April 1945

6. Compromise (#1) - 1st May 1945

7. Compromise (#2) - 1st May 1945

8. Final agreement - 30 July 1945.

I will post later in this thread maps of each of the 8 proposals or compromises.

* Q2. On 30 july 1945 (final agreement), what are the names of the Berlin districts included in the French sector ?

A2. The districts included in the French sector (30 July 1945) were : Reinickendorf and Wedding.

* Q3. What were the Berlin districts initially asked by France ?

A3. The districts initially asked by the French (22 March 1945) were : Charlottenburg, Tiergarten, Wilmersdorf and Zehlendorf.

These districts included for example the most residential districts and the "Siegessäule von 1871", the Column celebrating the Prussian victory against France in 1870/71.

* Q4. Who was the Commander in Chief of the French sector on 30 july 1945 ?

A4. This General was Jeoffrey de Beauchesne.

He has been officially appointed to this position on 11 July 1945 (i.e. before the final agreement of the 30 july 1945 has been reached).

But he only really took his Command as Commander in Chief of the French sector of Berlin on 12 August 1945, in agreement with the Allies.

Was easy, wasn't it... :whistle:

Ch.

Final agreement - 30 July 1945

Here are the maps describing the evolution of the French sector, from the 30 November 1944 (no French sector at all) to the final agreement of 30 July 1945.

The first one is the map achieved through the final agreement. It shows Berlin districts :

French sector :

1. Reinickendorf

2. Wedding

British sector :

3. Spandau

4. Charlottenburg

5. Tiergarten

6. Wilmersdorf

US sector :

7. Zehlendorf

8. Steglitz

9. Schöneberg