News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

The officer below joined the Air Force in the early 30s. As a Major, he fought in China and at the Khalkhin Gol river. He commanded a squadron and later a regiment and shot down several enemy planes. Already before the start of World War 2 he had an impressive set of awards.

The first person to answer the following three questions correctly, wins.

1. Who is the officer below?

2. What is special about his 2nd HSU star?

3. What happened to him in February 1943?

Edited by Ferdinand

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Who is the officer below?

2. What is special about his 2nd HSU star?

3. What happened to him in February 1943?

1.Major Grigorii Panteleevich Kravchenko

2.First individual to be named Hero of Soviet Union for second time.

3.He perished on February 23, 1943 during air battle .

Hello Christophe and Auke!

Lets me try for a two part question that I hope will not be too difficult.

Women in Aviation

Who am I.

She was known as the White Lily/Rose of Stalingrad.

Who am I

She was known as the Russian Amelia Earhart.

Regards

Rick

Congratulations Alex !! :jumping::jumping:

Your turn, now !! :whistle:

Time for a few stats :

Quiz 2009 :

* 31 questions asked,

* with 340 answers,

* and viewed more than 6,100 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2009 :

* 8 : Christophe

* 6 : Ilja (ilja559)

* 4 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 3 : Alex (RedMaestro)

* 2 : Jim (JimZ)

* 1 : Bryan (Soviet), Christian (Zulus), Dan (Hauptman), Doc (Riley1965), Rick (Koopyetz), Simon (SU1977) & Wild Card

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 251 questions asked,

* with 3,122 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 44,560 times.

* 47 Members of the Forum played, and 35 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 48 : Christophe

* 42 : Christian (Zulus)

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 15 : Jim (JimZ)

* 13 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 12 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 11 : Dan (Hauptman) & Marc (Lapa)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Alex (RedMaestro), Belaruski, Carol I, Ed (Haynes), Ilja (ilja559) & Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Doc (Riley1965), Dudeman, Eddie (Taz), Filip (Drugo), Rick (Koopyetz), Rick (Stogieman), Simon (SU1977) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 252nd question, Alex's... !! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Who am I?

What is my nationality?

What awards did I receive?

From NASA website

1. Jean Loup Chretien

2.French

3.Awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. Recipient of the Order of Lenin; the Order of the Red Banner of Labor; Commandeur de la Légion d’Honneur (Commander of the Order of the Legion of Honor); Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite (Knight of the National Order of Merit); Titulaire de la Médaille de l'Aéronautique (Holder of the Aeronautics Medal), and honorary citizenship of Arkalyk.

Who am I?

What is my nationality?

What awards did I receive?

From NASA website

1. Jean Loup Chretien

2.French

3.Awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. Recipient of the Order of Lenin; the Order of the Red Banner of Labor; Commandeur de la Légion d'Honneur (Commander of the Order of the Legion of Honor); Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite (Knight of the National Order of Merit); Titulaire de la Médaille de l'Aéronautique (Holder of the Aeronautics Medal), and honorary citizenship of Arkalyk.

Correct! :jumping: That was quick!

Your turn, Rick :cheers:

-Alex

Hi Rick,

My answers :

1. Identify the insignia .The unit was established in 1917

The insignia is the one of the 339th Infantry Regiment.

It is copied from the unofficial shoulder patch of the North Russian Expeditionary Force, of which this Regiment was a part during the years 1918-1919. The Regiment, organized in 1917, was made up to a large extent of men from Detroit, and was known locally as “Detroit’s Own.” The motto is pronounced as though spelled in English “shtuk ryshayet.” Literally translated it is the “The Bayonet Decides,” freely translated it may be rendered “We Finish With The Bayonet.”

The unit insignia was originally approved for the 339th Infantry Regiment on 9 June 1924. It was redesignated for the 339th Regiment and amended to include the motto on 5 August 1960.

2.What was its roll during this pivotal time in history.

This Regiment was part of the North Russian Expeditionary Force during the years 1918-1919.

According to Wikipedia : "The North Russia Campaign (also known as the Northern Russian Expedition or the Allied Intervention in North Russia) was part of the Allied Intervention in Russia after the October Revolution. The intervention brought about the involvement of foreign troops in the Russian Civil War on the side of the losing White movement. The northern campaign lasted from the final months of World War I in 1918 through to 1919. The foreign military intervention was used as patriotic publicity by the Bolsheviks in their struggle to win power in the wider Russian Civil War."

"The Polar Bear Expedition (also known as the Northern Russian Expedition, the American North Russia Expeditionary Force - ANREF or the American Expeditionary Force North Russia - AEFNR) was a contingent of about 5,000 U.S. troops[1] that landed in Arkhangelsk, Russia as part of the Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War and fought the Red Army in the surrounding region during the period of September 1918 through July 1919.

More here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Bear_Expedition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Russia_Campaign

Ch.

A really easy one, now....

Question #254

Who am I ?

What did I do of famous ?

Why did I change my name ?

Which most prestigious Soviet award did I get, and when ?

The first Member able to answer all 4 questions will be the winner !! :jumping:

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Cheers.

Ch.