News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yaoooooouh !!! My 41st victory!!!! Thanks Auke!! :jumping::jumping:

Now that I am on an (temporary) equal foot with Christian, our Super Super Champion, Meanwhile, here are a few stats :

Quiz 2009 :

* 2 questions asked,

* with 25 answers,

* and viewed more than 115 times good beginning for a 3 days old Quiz !!!).

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2009 :

* 1 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Christophe

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 222 questions asked,

* with 2,801 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 31,200 times.

* 44 Members of the Forum played, and 32 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 41 : Christian (Zulus) & Christophe

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet) & Marc (Lapa)

* 10 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Dan (Hauptman)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Alex (RedMaestro), Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Eddie (Taz), Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 223rd question, mine !! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #223

The pic below, taken beginning of 1945, shows 10 of the most important commanders of the Soviet armies.

1. Can you identify all of them (10) ?

8 of them have a common point in terms of orders and medals.

2. What is this common point ?

3. Who are the 2 commanders not concerned by this common point ?

The winner will be the first Member correctly answering the 3 questions.

Good hunt and good luck. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

They are Tolbukhin, Malinovsky, Govorov, Yeremenko, Bagramyan, Konev, Vasilevsky, Zhukov, Rokossovsky, and Meretskov.

They were all awarded the Order of Victory at least once.

As for the two commanders not concerned: I guess you're looking for Timoshenko and Stalin. Antonov was also not in this picture, but as Chief of the General Staff technically not a commander.

Hi again Auke,

You perfectly answered question 1, but unperfectly to question 2. They have not all been awarded the Order of Victory at least once...

You're very close, just a small correction to make and you will be there... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Hi Doc,

Happy you like it. :beer: But, in any case, please, feel free to participate; all questions are not so "cryptic", even if some are :rolleyes: , and soe are really easy to answer. As said the barron Pierre de Coubertin : "the most important is to participate, not to win". And I would add, LEARN... in a pleasant manner, thanks to all of us.

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #224

These four generals altogether were awarded 11 Orders of Suvorov, 8 Orders of Kutuzov, and 4 Orders of Bogdan Khmelnitsky.

1. What are their names?

2. Who received what? (I only need to know the distribution of Suvorovs, Kutuzovs and Khmelnitskys, + their classes.)

The first person to answer both questions correctly wins.

Good luck! :cheers:

Question #224

These four generals altogether were awarded 11 Orders of Suvorov, 8 Orders of Kutuzov, and 4 Orders of Bogdan Khmelnitsky.

1. What are their names?

2. Who received what? (I only need to know the distribution of Suvorovs, Kutuzovs and Khmelnitskys, + their classes.)

The first person to answer both questions correctly wins.

Dear Auke,

Left, down:

Vasilij Danilovich Sokolovski (Василий Данилович Соколовский): 3x Suvorov 1cl + 3x Kutuzov 1cl

Right, down:

Dimitrij Danilovich Leljuschenko: 2x Suvorov 1cl + 2x Kutuzov 1cl

Left, up:

Andreij Antonovich Gretchko (Андрей Антонович Гречко): 2x Suvorov 1cl + 1x Suvorov 2cl + 2x Kutuzov 1cl + 2x Khmelnitsky 1cl

The face of the comrade right, up is very, very common to me, but I can't guess his name :blush: .

I will try later ...

3x Suvorov, 1x Kutuzov and 2x Khmelnitsky are missing .... :( Quite a lot for just one guy.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Very good, except for the fact that Lelyushenko also got a Khmelnitsky 1st Class.

So, you're 75% there Christian, but who is our last man, that received three Suvorovs, a Kutuzov and a Khmelnitsky, all 1st Class? If his name isn't known by tomorrow I will post his full picture. :beer:

Very good, except for the fact that Lelyushenko also got a Khmelnitsky 1st Class.

So, you're 75% there Christian, but who is our last man, that received three Suvorovs, a Kutuzov and a Khmelnitsky, all 1st Class? If his name isn't known by tomorrow I will post his full picture. :beer:

Dear Auke,

sorry ...., I couldn't find the last general :blush: .

I can only guess: Pavel Ivanovich Batov - but I don't think the photographs really match :( :

The problem is, that quite a few generals got 3x Suvorov 1cl ... :rolleyes:

I found in Dr. Herfurth's first book about Soviet Military Awards (1987, GDR) that - rather late - photograph of comrade Lelyushenko, which shows him without a Khmelnitsky at all :jumping: :

Col. Dr. David Glantz, THE US-expert in GPW-History, regards Lelyushenko as the best Soviet armour leader during the defense of Moscow (1941) at tactical & operational level.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Batov is correct! I think his stoical expression is clearly visible on both pictures. :P

Nice picture of Lelyushenko by the way. Could his Khmelnitsky be the order in the shadow, third from the top on his far right? According to Wikipedia, Warheroes.ru, Mondvor.narod.ru, and several other sources he did get a Khmelnitsky 1st Class.

Anyway, congratulations! Your turn again! :cheers:

Batov is correct! I think his stoical expression is clearly visible on both pictures. :P

Nice picture of Lelyushenko by the way. Could his Khmelnitsky be the order in the shadow, third from the top on his far right? According to Wikipedia, Warheroes.ru, Mondvor.narod.ru, and several other sources he did get a Khmelnitsky 1st Class.

Anyway, congratulations! Your turn again! :cheers:

Dear Auke,

thanks for your congratulations to my 42th victory at Christophe's quiz :D .

Coming back to Lelyushenko's Khmelnitsky 1cl.

I guess, the pic dosen't show that order. Anyway, the position you mentioned is in his row of foreign awards. If there should be a Khmelnitsky at the pic, the order should be at the first position ahead of the foreign orders, due to the regulations.

Hypothesis: Could it be, that comrade Lelyushenko got his Khmelnitsky 1cl just before he passed away - before the photograph had been shot :unsure: ? What do the sources say?

O.K., next post will be my question :rolleyes: .

Christian

Question #225

Gentlemen,

the new question is an rather easy one :D .

1) Who am I?

I had been a "meritorious worker" for the "peace-keeping services" of the Soviet Union.

2) What had been my connection to Mother Teresa and who made that connection?

The first, who answeres both question is the winner.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

(...)

Now that I am on an (temporary) equal foot with Christian, our Super Super Champion, (...)

Ch.

When I said I am "temporarily" leading the Quiz alongside Christian; I was not wrong.... :rolleyes:

Congratulations for your new victory, Christian!!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Cheers. :beer:

Ch.

Question #225

Gentlemen,

the new question is an rather easy one :D .

1) Who am I?

I had been a "meritorious worker" for the "peace-keeping services" of the Soviet Union.

2) What had been my connection to Mother Teresa and who made that connection?

The first, who answeres both question is the winner.

Christian

Let's try...

1. He is Robert Philip Hanssen, a top-level FBI agent responsible for counterintelligence in the US, who spied for the Russians from 1979 until his arrest in February 2001.

He told the Soviets about four of their own intelligence staff who were spying for the US, interfered with the investigation of a Soviet spy in the US State Department, and gave the Communists ?the plan of a program for the continuity of government in case of a Soviet nuclear attack and planned defense and retaliation.? A biographer calls him ?the most damaging spy in history.?

For his efforts, the KGB (and its successor agency, the FSB) gave Hanssen $1.4 million in cash and diamonds.

2. Hanssen was a devoted member of Opus Dei. When his wife confronted him in 1982 after she caught him in the basement counting out $20,000 in $100 bills, she made him confess to an Opus Dei priest ? Fr. Robert Bucciarelli, the former head of Opus Dei in the US. The priest told Hanssen to give the $20,000 that he had thus far received to Mother Teresa?s charities.

Robert Bucciarelli made the connection.

Ch.

When I said I am "temporarily" leading the Quiz alongside Christian; I was not wrong.... :rolleyes:

Dear Christophe,

"temporarily" had been wrong .... ;)

Congratulation to your 42th victory :cheers::jumping: .

Absolut perfect answer - you told the whole story :D .

It's your turn now.

Christian

BTW: Opus Dei priest Robert Bucciarelli knew from that time on about Hanssen's activities for the KGB, but wasn't allowed as a priest to report to the FBI, I guess.

(...)

BTW: Opus Dei priest Robert Bucciarelli knew from that time on about Hanssen's activities for the KGB, but wasn't allowed as a priest to report to the FBI, I guess.

Yes, we can guess this. It lasted nearly 20 years more... :rolleyes:

Many thanks, Christian, for your congratulations. :beer: My turn, now to find a good challenge...

Cheers.

Ch.

Here is, I think, an easy one :

Question #226

On 9 May 2005, in Moscow, on the occasion of the celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the Victory, a statue has been inaugurated.

1. Who is representing this statue ?

2. Where exactly is it located ?

3. Who is its sculptor : name, nationality... ?

4. This artist has already done 3 famous statues in Moscow : name these 3 statues.

5. Who are the two head of states present at this inauguration ?

The winner will be the first one correctly answering these 5 questions.

Good hunt and good luck. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Hello Gentlemans

My answers-

1.Monument to soldiers of countries - participants of an antihitlerite coalition

2.Moscow, mountain Poklonnaja

3.Michail Perejaslavec,Михаил Переяславец(see photo)

Was born in Moscow in 1949.

The graduate of the Moscow art Surikov institute

Member of the Union of Artists of the USSR.

4.Monument to Vasily Surikov, Nikolay Kuznetsov, Memorial board with the sculptural composition, devoted to the first performance of songs " Sacred war ", a monument to commandoes

5.The ambassador the USA in Russia Alexander Vershbou and Jury Luzhkov

Regards

Ilja